FAHClient V7.3.5 released

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

FAHClient V7.3.5 released

Postby jcoffland » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:58 am

This release makes a few minor changes in preparation for a public release.

Beta Downloads

Documentation
Installation and user guides can be found here:
FAHControl -> The Graphical User Interface (GUI) what controls the Slots.
FAHViewer -> It shows the protein being folded, if applicable.
Pictorial Installation Guide (Windows) -> A detailed pictorial guide on the V7 installation.
Installation Guide (Windows) -> A brief guide on Windows installation.
Installation Guide (Linux) -> A guide for Linux installation.
Installation Guide (OSX) -> A guide for OSX installation that is in progress.
Client Remote Interface -> Documentation for 3rd party developers.
Main Page -> Main page of the V7.

Getting Help
Aside from the documentation the best place to get help is in this forum. If you do have a problem post a message. There are many knowledgeable people ready and willing to help. Keep in mind, we greatly appreciate thorough reports delivered by patient people who can keep a cool head even when things go wrong.

Bugs/Tickets
Open Tickets Ordered by Milestone and Priority
Active Tickets by Change Time
Note: Some tickets may be closed because they are fixed in an upcoming internal release but are not yet fixed in the beta release.

Change Logs:
FAHClient:
v7.3.5:
  • pause-on-start pauses slot rather than setting power=off.
  • Optionally send brief details with uninstall report.
  • Updated Linux packages for folding power changes.

FAHControl:
v7.3.5:
  • Put Viewer button back on toolbar.
  • Added additional tooltips.

FAHViewer:
No change.

FAHScreensaver:
No change.

Public Release
We will be making a public release very soon.

Joseph Coffland
Folding@home Developer
Cauldron Development LLC
Cauldron Development LLC
http://cauldrondevelopment.com/
jcoffland
Pande Group Member

Re: FAHClient V7.3.5 released

Postby Grandpa_01 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:14 am

Installed with no problem on Ubuntu 10.10
2 - SM H8QGi-F AMD 6xxx=112 cores @ 3.2 & 3.9Ghz
5 - SM X9QRI-f+ Intel 4650 = 320 cores @ 3.15Ghz
2 - I7 980X 4.4Ghz 2-GTX680
1 - 2700k 4.4Ghz GTX680
Total = 464 cores folding
Grandpa_01

Postby Jesse_V » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:22 am

Nice. I like the tooltips and the better View button. However, there's still a number of graphical problems with FAHControl, which if fixed would make the interface look a bit better.
  • I've still got the odd spacing in the Selected Work Unit section that I reported in viewtopic.php?f=87&t=23656#p236553 The problem is definitely with the buttons that encapsulate the hyperlinks in the Project, WS, and CS fields, as those fields are separated from the others to be by themselves.
  • There's no spacing in between "Off" and "Identity", nor between "Idle Light" and "Points Per Day". I suggest adding three or so pixels of padding between the Folding Power bar labels and the bottom border, and then like 5px of margin below the bottom border. Please also increase the margin a bit above "Folding Slots" to at least match the margin above "Work Queue". Minor adjustments, but I think they'd make a significant difference in the appearance of FAHControl.
As expected, over-the-top install went smoothly in Linux Mint.
Pen tester at Cigital/Synopsys
Jesse_V

Postby rhavern » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:20 pm

I installed it over 7.3.4 with no problems, however the option called open-web-control that I had set to false, had been reset to true. Other than that, looks fine.
Folding since 1 WU=1 point
ImageImage
rhavern

Postby DarkFoss » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:00 pm

Uninstalled v7.3.4 then installed 7.3.5 on both Win 7 64bit and Mageia 3 beta 2 x64 virtual..wu's resumed folding without issue. I did have to use the rpm -i --nodeps command even though the dependencies are installed.
DarkFoss

Postby Jesse_V » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:09 pm

The Cause Preference still does not work server-side AFAIK. Will this be working when V7.3.X is released?
Jesse_V

Postby Joe_H » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:37 pm

Installed 7.3.5 over an existing 7.2.9 setup on my MacBook, appears to be working fine. There appears to be slightly greater CPU use by the FAHClient and other non-FAHcore processes than I saw from earlier versions of the client, about a steady 1-2% more usage.

One improvement is no more SIGPIPE warning messages in the log from the local network connection between FAHControl and the FAHClient being opened and closed. Another change for the OS X install is that closing the FAHControl window by clicking on the red X just closes the window, before it exited the process completely. That brings it to the standard for most OS X apps which is a plus for new OS X folders. Will take a small amount of adjusting to for users of prior versions on OS X.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Joe_H
Site Admin

Postby jcoffland » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:22 pm

Jesse_V wrote:I've still got the odd spacing in the Selected Work Unit section that I reported in viewtopic.php?f=87&t=23656#p236553 The problem is definitely with the buttons that encapsulate the hyperlinks in the Project, WS, and CS fields, as those fields are separated from the others to be by themselves.

Part of the problem is that a recent change made these rows expand with the window. I've fixed this. The rest of size difference has been the case for a very long time. It's because the link buttons take up more vertical space than the plain text. I've tried to force them to be smaller but it does not work. I could make the other rows taller to match. To me it's not worth the loss of vertical space to have everything lined up perfectly.

Jesse_V wrote:There's no spacing in between "Off" and "Identity", nor between "Idle Light" and "Points Per Day".

This has to do with how wide your window is. If you make it wider there will be more space. I've shrunk the text a bit for the next release.

Jesse_V wrote:I suggest adding three or so pixels of padding between the Folding Power bar labels and the bottom border, and then like 5px of margin below the bottom border. Please also increase the margin a bit above "Folding Slots" to at least match the margin above "Work Queue". Minor adjustments, but I think they'd make a significant difference in the appearance of FAHControl.

I've made some adjustments.
jcoffland
Pande Group Member

Postby Jesse_V » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:43 pm

jcoffland wrote:
Jesse_V wrote:There's no spacing in between "Off" and "Identity", nor between "Idle Light" and "Points Per Day".

This has to do with how wide your window is. If you make it wider there will be more space. I've shrunk the text a bit for the next release.

I think you misunderstand. Changing the width of my window doesn't change anything, other than scrunching the Folding Power labels tighter together. I was looking at the vertical spacing, which is also not dependent on the height of the window. You fixed the problem by adding that padding and margins like you said.
Jesse_V

Postby calxalot » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:01 pm

How about grouping the toolbar buttons by app | client?
Something like
About Preferences Exit | View Configure

Also, maybe you can remove the box border when the content is just a table or tab set?
It would reduce visual clutter and you'd regain a few pixels for each.
calxalot

Postby PantherX » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:02 pm

One can open multiple windows of FAHViewer from the right-click menu (https://fah.stanford.edu/projects/FAHClient/ticket/981).

Please ensure that you either use FAHControl or Advanced Control since using both is not very intuitive (https://fah.stanford.edu/projects/FAHClient/ticket/982).

Looking forward to the Public Release :)
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Chrome Folding App (Beta) Ӂ Troubleshooting "Bad WUs" Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby codysluder » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:49 am

I suspect that this is not a new problem with V7.3 but that's what I happen to be testing. I'm currently running P7660 and it's about half done so there are plenty of snapshots to make an interesting picture in the viewer. On the help screen, it says that I can use the spacebar to toggle the rotation. What see normally is a protein with several arms moving somewhat randomly and the entire protein rotating about a vertical axis at about 2 RPM. What I expected to have happen when I pressed the space bar was that the 2 RPM would pause and I would still see the animation of the various snapshots of the arms waving back and forth. What I did see was a complete suspension of all animation.

Why isn't there a setting to sum the moments of inertia and set their (average) rotation to zero? That seems to be more or less true about the horizontal axes.

To get to zero rotation, I need to press [left] about 2.0 or 2.1 times.
codysluder

Postby jrweiss » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:47 pm

Web Control still does not work on either of my desktop rigs (SMP); works fine on my laptop (Uni). All Win7, multi-core CPU, 8 GB RAM.
i7-4770K/MSI GTX 1050ti, 388.43 driver
i7-3770S/MSI GTX 1050ti, 398.36 driver
Win7-64Pro
jrweiss

Postby codysluder » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:32 pm

For Web Control to work, you need
    A browser that can open the html page
    Jscript must be enabled in the browser
    A FAHClient that is already running
    The FAHClient will be listening on port 7396 so that port can't be blocked by a firewall.
codysluder

Postby bollix47 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:48 pm

@jrweiss

If you're using Firefox with the noscript extension please see this post.
bollix47

Next

Return to V7.3.x Public Beta