Systray Icon Missing

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Systray Icon Missing

Postby Johnny5 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:01 am

Hi, this is my first post and I've tried to avoid having to make it but for all my searching I can't seem to find a solution for my problem. Right now I have f@h v7.3.6 installed on two different computers, both running Windows 7. One is the Professional edition and the other (the one I'm having difficulties with) is running Ultimate.

The computer running Windows 7 Ultimate does not give me the systray icon. It has some other issues I've found as well, for example in the UI themes; I am only offered the default to choose from. When I manually start FAHControl.exe I am missing the slider to change the load levels. The installer for this computer was the same installer I used on the other computer and they both say version 7.3.6 in the about tab. For both computers I have two hard drives and I've preferred to install f@h off of my C drive on the other drive with my applications. I followed the same installation process on both computers, which is why the results have been so bizarre as the other computer has no issues whatsoever.

When I first tried the installation on this tower, I selected "install for all users." The result was the installer placed the shortcut icon in the administrator shell:startup directory. I've seen other people mention this, and I was able to fix it by copying it over to the right directory in ProgramData. I only note this because other than the edition of Windows 7, there has been no difference between the installation process between both computers and the other tower did not have this problem. Since then, I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling in every possible combination of options and I still cannot get the systray icon to appear. I've chosen express, custom, start as service, start manually etc.

So I'm stumped. It wouldn't be a big deal, other than I like the convenience of the slider when I actually want to work on this computer. When f@h is running at max it makes the whole OS lag slightly.

The other note I should make, is the default themes between the two computers with the FAHControl panel appear different. And I don't mean like I'm running aero on one tower and not the other, they look like two entirely different editions of f@h. The tower I am having problems on looks exactly like the older versions.

Thanks for any help offered. I hope the answer for this hasn't been previously discussed and I some how missed it.
Johnny5

Re: Systray Icon Missing

Postby bruce » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:28 am

Welcome to foldingforum.org, Johnny5.

There's only one the V7 Windows installer for V7.3.6 so that's not the problem. I don't have a Win7 Ultimate, but to my knowledge, the themes are identical although it's possible that some features may depend on what kind of GPU/Video drivers are in use.

Is one 32-bit and the other 64-bit?

Changing the installation directory has been known to mess up some of V7's options but that shouldn't make the Win7 themes look different. To rule that out, you can temporarily try the default installation and see if it works.
bruce

Postby Johnny5 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:09 am

Thank you for the response.

Both versions are 64bit. What I mean about the themes is when I click the drop down menu to select alternative themes, on the computer with the installation issues I only have the Default listed under the the themes list. On the other tower there is a large list of available themes (aero, aerio-ion, evil-mac, unity etc). This isn't a problem for me but I note it because I think it relates to what is causing my issue here. What I meant above was the aero option for Windows 7, sorry if that was confusing.

I have also tried the default installation with the express option and unfortunately it didn't make any difference. I did a full uninstall, reboot and reinstall and have had the same results.

What I mean about the difference in the UI appearance, is the tower that does not give me the systray icon looks like http://folding.stanford.edu/English/WinGuide Figure 15. On the tower with the systray icon it looks like https://fah.stanford.edu/projects/FAHClient/wiki/FahControl, but both under User->Preferences->Theme, are set to default. Where one has the whole list of other themes available and the other only the default. This might not even relate to my problem but its the only noticeable difference I have between the two computers other than one the software is running correctly.

Hardware differences between the two towers:

Tower 1 (missing systray icon): i7 3930k and dual Nvidia 580s in SLI
Tower 2 (w/ systray icon): i7 950 and dual AMD 5870s in CF
Johnny5

Postby bruce » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:59 am

Figure 15 is not from V7.3.6 -- it was FAHControl from one of the older versions (before 7.3.0).

You now have a choice of running Webcontrol (which can be found at http://folding.stanford.edu/client/ but which also starts automatically with V7.3.x) or FAHControl which looks a lot like Figure 15 but which has been redesigned to eliminate the "novice" option which has been moved to the browser-based control application with the power slider.
bruce

Postby Johnny5 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:35 am

Okay so you see what I mean then. I am using the v7.3.6 installer, I've used the one I used on the other tower and I've re-downloaded a fresh installer to check as well from here http://folding.stanford.edu/English/HomePage which then is certain a duplicate file because windows labels it as "fah-installer_7.3.6_x86(1).exe ". The sha1 and md5 hash on both installers is the exact same. The UI I see is the UI that you report is from versions 7.3.0 and older, but when I click the about button it reports it as v7.3.6 and as I mentioned, its the exact same installer from the other tower. I'd post a screen shot to prove it, but it looks like you do not host images.

What is not happening is the FAHControl.exe does not start up and run in the systray. But the hideconsole.exe shortcut does work, and it does start the clients once I copy it over to ProgramData, I can see them running in process explorer and they are under the user account that I am using.

Here's the other thing, the WebControl does not work AFTER the installation. When I first run the installer, it starts up once the install is complete but is running as an administrator. Once I log out, and log into the standard user account I normally run under, the WebControl panel no longer works despite the Clients are running and I get no systray icon, so I have to browse to FAHClient directory and manually start FAHControl which looks just like the one from version 7.3.0 to control the clients.

But just to be clear, when I install I do get the WebControl panel the first time, but it runs as the administrator AND the installer does not put the links in the right places, so I had to copy them over. I have also uninstalled and tried installing selecting both "install for everyone" and "install for just me."

I can also say this is not because of a previous installation. I recently did some upgrades on this computer and have since done a fresh install of the OS, which is what prompted me to get the new version of f@h to begin with.

Hope that makes sense, I'm sure it seems hard to believe but I'm 100% certain I am using the v7.3.6 installer and F@H reports in the about tab it is v7.3.6.

Just to condense it:
1.) The installer installs the links in the incorrect directories when running as the administrator so I copy the hideconsole.exe link over to the normal user account. Otherwise f@h does not start at all when running as my normal user account.
2.) The WebControl appears after the installation, but I don't bother configuring it because it is running under the Administrator account and I have to reconfigure it once I'm a normal user again.
3.) Once I log in as a normal user and have copied over the hideconsole.exe shortcut (w/ the arguments to the FAHClient directing it to start in the data/ directory) FAHClient.exe starts up and runs the cores for the standard user.
4.) Then I have to manually start the UI for FAHControl, which looks like the UI for version 7.3.0, and it does not give me a systray icon.

I hope this is making more sense, and that I am not being to verbose. Thank you again for the help.

**Edit: So this morning I uninstalled again, and logged into my normal user account, reinstalled with the express option and selected "Install for just me." Didn't work. The short cut was still created under the Administrators roaming directory. Uninstalled, rebooted, and ran the installer again with the express option and clicked the install for all users option. Rebooted and for the first time, the taskbar icon appears for the normal user account. But now when I right click it and launch the Web Control panel the connection reports that it times out. When I select the FAHControl panel nothing ever opens. When I open up ProcessExplorer, I can see FAHClient running but none of the cores are active. If I adjust the slider it still doesn't start any of the cores. I checked and my user account can write to the data directory in ProgramData. Then when I log in as an administrator, FAHClient does not start at all. When I run the uninstaller, are there any registry keys f@h leaves behind I need to manually remove? I've noticed it does not remove the firewall rules and I'm wondering if there is something lingering after the uninstaller that is keeping a clean install from functioning properly. I also really did not want the application on my C drive as its a small SSD.
Johnny5

Postby bruce » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:27 pm

No, you're not being overly verbose ... I understand it better now.

I don't remember the precise version numbers where FAHControl changed, but the obvious clues I see are that jpg does not show the slider and it does show a "Novice" setting. Essentially WebControl is the new novice setting. Why can't you run the version of FACHControl that's delivered with V7.3.6? We recommend that you use the version of FAHClinet and of FAHControl.

Several unresolved problems with links come from installing for everyone. Personally, I install "just for me" using "run as admin" to get permission with my normal path settings.

The web control connects to FAHClient by way of a new port number. If it can't connect, check your firewall. It uses Javascript and is running in a sandbox (though it doesn't write anything to disk).

I've never studied the issues surrounding systray. Do you suppose that hideconsole also hides the icon? Is FAHControl starting with the same User settings as the owner of the desktop?

Express install is set to start FAHControl automatically using hideconsole. Starting a second copy will fail (assuming they're set to the same directories). Check the setting of the env var %APPDATA% and see if a log is being written there. It may tell you why FAHControl is not starting properly.
bruce

Postby 7im » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:12 pm

There is a known problem with the V7.3.6 installer that I can confirm in Windows 7. If I login with a user account and not the admin account, then run the default installation, the startup stuff gets added to the admin account instead of the user account. FAHClient never launches on the user account. FAHClient does launch on the Admin account.

The solution depends on whether a user account is logged in all the time, or the admin account. If the Admin, just install while logged in as admin. Works fine. If it will be in a single user account most of the time, log in with that account. I don't know if this works, but it can't hurt. Instead of double clicking the file to run it, right click and select Run As... and then run the installer as the administrator.

Another option is to temporarily grant the end user account full admin access, then install fah, then remove the access.

Edit: Add bug trac link: https://fah-web.stanford.edu/projects/FAHClient/ticket/889
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby Johnny5 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:22 am

I was able to get the icon to appear by running the installation process under a normal user account with the express option (no modification to the paths or anything, just express option), and then setting the link that starts f@h to "run as Administrator." But its really bizarre, after I did the express install I couldn't run it at all as a standard user anymore even after having copied the links over. The express option placed FAHClient in Program Files(x86) and the data dir in ProgramData. So finally I launched f@h with a shell as a standard user and it reported that it could not write to the log.txt file in Program Files(x86) and that is why it was failing to run as a standard user. I don't believe the client directory is suppose to write to any log files, at least it looks like on my other tower all log files go in the data directory? So I'm not sure how that is happening.

So I went back to installing it on my B:\ drive and copying the links over. I have the correct FAHControl panel now, but only when I start it with the link provided by the installer. The reason I discovered I was seeing the older looking UI for FAHControl was because I was not using the shortcut link that has in it the "Start in: <data directory>" directive. You can actually (I verified on my other tower) reproduce the older looking UI by:

Open up task manager and kill FAHControl.exe if it is running (but leave the FAHClient and everything else running).
Navigate to the FAHClient directory and open FAHControl.exe directly

The final observation I have, is Process Explorer has a "tree view" that shows which process spawned who. On the tower where things work correctly, FAHClient.exe is the displayed as the parent process of FAHControl.exe as well as the FAHCoreWrappers and FAHCore processes. On the tower that is on the fritz, FAHControl.exe shows up in Process Explorer as having explorer.exe as its Parent and not FAHClient.exe. So since I'm not launching FAHControl from the systray icon, it wasn't being spawned by FAHClient.exe which I'm guessing has directives similar to the Shorcut launcher telling it to start in the data directory which is why I was looking at the different GUI.

I tried a couple different scenarios as well, and it seems that its not the data directory that is the problem, its client directory. If its not inside of Program Files(x86) then I will be out of luck. I'm going to try 7im's suggestion of granting this account of full admin access and then dropping privileges after the install. However if the client program still attempts to write to Program Files then I don't think its going to work.

Thank you guys for the input.
Johnny5

Postby bruce » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:01 am

The method that worked in earlier versions an which seems to always work for me is to use the shortcut for FAHControl that has been found in allprograms through many, many revisions.

Nobody should be writing data files in Program_Files. That setup is incorrect, even if you happen to be Administrator (which you shouldn't be using unnecessarily.) Microsoft's standards recommend the use of a spot in the %APPDATA% directory and set the environment variable to point to a user-specific file to store data files.

Running the install procedure should create working shortcuts for you in the AllPrograms menu area. The Start In directory points to the Read/Write directory in %APPDATA%... never to \Program files. That should be %APPDATA%\FAHClient which varies depending on who I log on as and also is different in WinXP but in my case, that's C:\Users\bruce\AppData\Roaming\FAHClient. That allows working data to be read/write and the log and other information to be stored there. The Target, of course, loads FAHClient.exe from the appropriate Program Files directory.

The other programs are also loaded using the full path to program files. I don't think they actually need to update disk files but rather send telnet messages to FAHClient and as a back-end program, it does all the work.

Does that describe your working system, and does it make sense for you to use shortcuts like those on the non-working system?
bruce

Postby Johnny5 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:43 am

I believe I understand. I don't think I changed any of the Start in: settings on the links. However at this point I've been trying so many different things to get it to work I would be willing to admit I might have hit the point of counterproductive and working against myself. My working system however is not a good model for comparison with this one, I have it installed as so:

custom install->install for everyone->

Then on my B:\ drive I have a directory called fah, which splits into data/ and client/FAHClient, where I have everything installed and functioning without a problem off of drive B.

But reading your last post I have a working solution, although not ideal as I'd like the setup that I have mentioned above. This works though:

Uninstall reboot
Click installer and respond to UAC
Select custom install and select install for just me
Select for the FAHClient c:\Program Files(x86)\FAHClient
CHANGE Data directory from C:\Users\<admin>\AppData\Roaming to C:\Users\<standard_user>\AppData\Roaming ***I think I forgot to change the user account the other night.
then
cp C:\Users\<admin>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\FAHClient C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
cp C:\Users\<admin>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\"Folding@Home" C:\Users\<standard_user>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
(those are the links that at least on my machine seem to still be created under the adminstrator account)

Then things work fine. But if I follow this same process over to the B:\ drive, then I lose the systray icon.

I may experiment more with it, till I can figure out what and why it fails when its off the C drive. But at least now I have what I needed working.
Johnny5

Postby PantherX » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:17 am

My understanding is that you have a SSD (Drive C) and a HDD (Drive B). Due to the small capacity of the SSD, you would like to install F@H on the HDD. I have a similar set-up, SSD and HDD and this is what I have done:

I have installed FAH in the program folder since it takes only 72.3 MB (75,849,728 bytes) so it's not a problem (I managed to gain ~7 GBs worth of storage by reading this http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd ... ,2911.html). However, for the data folder, I have changed it to D:\[FAH] and my installation selection is custom with only me option. I haven't encountered any issues at all. I would suggest this method since most of the time, data from the program folder is read (not written) so less number of writes are there. All the writing of the data is done on the HDD. Below is my log file if you need to see it:
Code: Select all
*********************** Log Started 2013-07-02T01:43:36Z ***********************
01:43:36:************************* Folding@home Client *************************
01:43:36:      Website: http://folding.stanford.edu/
01:43:36:    Copyright: (c) 2009-2012 Stanford University
01:43:36:       Author: Joseph Coffland <joseph@cauldrondevelopment.com>
01:43:36:         Args:
01:43:36:       Config: D:/[FAH]/config.xml
01:43:36:******************************** Build ********************************
01:43:36:      Version: 7.2.9
01:43:36:         Date: Oct 3 2012
01:43:36:         Time: 18:05:48
01:43:36:      SVN Rev: 3578
01:43:36:       Branch: fah/trunk/client
01:43:36:     Compiler: Intel(R) C++ MSVC 1500 mode 1200
01:43:36:      Options: /TP /nologo /EHa /Qdiag-disable:4297,4103,1786,279 /Ox -arch:SSE
01:43:36:               /QaxSSE2,SSE3,SSSE3,SSE4.1,SSE4.2 /Qopenmp /Qrestrict /MT /Qmkl
01:43:36:     Platform: win32 XP
01:43:36:         Bits: 32
01:43:36:         Mode: Release
01:43:36:******************************* System ********************************
01:43:36:          CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3840QM CPU @ 2.80GHz
01:43:36:       CPU ID: GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
01:43:36:         CPUs: 8
01:43:36:       Memory: 15.89GiB
01:43:36:  Free Memory: 13.82GiB
01:43:36:      Threads: WINDOWS_THREADS
01:43:36:   On Battery: false
01:43:36:   UTC offset: 3
01:43:36:          PID: 3200
01:43:36:          CWD: D:/[FAH]
01:43:36:           OS: Windows 8 Pro
01:43:36:      OS Arch: AMD64
01:43:36:         GPUs: 1
01:43:36:        GPU 0: NVIDIA:2 GF114 [GeForce GTX 675M]
01:43:36:         CUDA: 2.1
01:43:36:  CUDA Driver: 5050
01:43:36:Win32 Service: false
01:43:36:***********************************************************************
01:43:36:<config>
01:43:36:  <!-- Network -->
01:43:36:  <proxy v=':8080'/>
01:43:36:
01:43:36:  <!-- Remote Command Server -->
01:43:36:  <command-allow v='127.0.0.1 192.168.1.0/24'/>
01:43:36:  <password v='*********'/>
01:43:36:  <!-- User Information -->
01:43:36:  <passkey v='********************************'/>
01:43:36:  <team v='69411'/>
01:43:36:  <user v='PantherX'/>
01:43:36:  <!-- Folding Slots -->
01:43:36:  <slot id='0' type='SMP'>
01:43:36:    <cpus v='6'/>
01:43:36:    <max-packet-size v='small'/>
01:43:36:    <next-unit-percentage v='100'/>
01:43:36:    <pause-on-start v='true'/>
01:43:36:  </slot>
01:43:36:  <slot id='1' type='GPU'>
01:43:36:    <client-type v='normal'/>
01:43:36:    <next-unit-percentage v='100'/>
01:43:36:    <pause-on-start v='true'/>
01:43:36:  </slot>
01:43:36:</config>
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Chrome Folding App (Beta) Ӂ Troubleshooting "Bad WUs" Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby Johnny5 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:15 pm

Thank you for the link. That is the solution I ended up taking, and your right F@H is small enough its not a problem keeping the client on the root drive. At this point I'm just really curious what keeps the client software from communicating with the desktop correctly if its not on my C drive. Since I can install it on a separate partition on another tower and not have problems, then its certain there must not be anything hard-coded into the program that requires the client to be installed in C:\Program Files\, so it must simply be an environmental variable or something similar that I have not been able to track down. And since I haven't seen this problem of the systray icon disappearing entirely; reported much anywhere else, it must just be a misconfiguration local to my computer.
Johnny5

Postby PantherX » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:39 pm

If you want, try a full uninstallation and remove the traces of FAH (These are the folders that I found on my system while testing):
1) Make sure that you verify that the custom directory that you created for F@H was deleted
2) %AppData% (with the % sign) and make sure that FAHClient is not present. If present, delete it
3) %ProgramData% (with the % sign) and make sure that FAHClient is not present. If present, delete it

Haven't heard about F@H using environment variable with V7.
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby bruce » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:10 pm

Micro$oft creates those two environment variables and recommends that programmers use them. {Well, almost: I think you mean %PROGRAMFILES% and perhaps %PROGRAMFILES(X86)%% By default, FAH V7 uses them to create the directory %APPDATA%\FAHClient which is supposed to be a read/write place where it can find all the data from previous runs so it can resume work. By default, it places the programs in those files and creates shortcuts in AllPrograms.

The value of contains the UserName of the person who is logged on, so if I had installed logged on as Administrator, it won't work when I log on as Bruce. %APPDATA% for Vista and later is a different format for Vista and later compared to WinXP and earlier, but that's not really a problem.

Install "for everybody" didn't work in earlier versions (and is probably still broken) because there's no single R/W place to put the (shared) working files.
bruce

Postby Johnny5 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:23 am

Well I finally got both the client and data directories to install on a separate drive away from C; as well as keep the systray icon present. I just change the registry: HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/ and all the %ProgramFilesDir% variables to point to my other hard drive, so now the default path of every application goes there, which is really what I wanted anyway. I backed everything up before I did this, so if it causes a lot of problems down the line it won't be a big deal.

I recognize what I'm reporting might not make much sense, but for one reason or the other, it ended up being the Client software that when not installed under Program Files caused the systray icon to disappear. By setting the default installation for all applications to the different drive, it now functions fine. My bet is this has nothing to do with F@H but there was some other application that was interfering and keeping it from communicating with the desktop. I doubt it was AV tho, I only use MSE.
Johnny5

Next

Return to V7.3.6 Public Release Windows/Linux/MacOS X