High Folding Temperatures?

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

High Folding Temperatures?

Postby aust77 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:59 pm

The Intel Core i7 2630QM in my Lenovo IdeaPad Y560p is folding on its own as the HD 6570M is having trouble with TPF for project 8900 WUs. I had been noticing the fact that it was running quite hot in the past, and thus stuck to the Idle Light setting, but eventually ended up re-applying thermal paste to the CPU. The stock stuff was globbed on, quite poorly so (remind me never to opt for a Lenovo product again, probably building my next PC for optimized folding and minimal troubles like these) though after having applied my own, while rest temperatures have slightly decreased, while folding the laptop still gets unusually hot. There is no dust in the fan or ventilation areas, and I applied the new paste necessarily thinly and evenly (I watched several guides on the matter). On the Idle/Medium/High settings, as per CoreTemp, it reaches peak temperatures of 90-94°C (Tj. Max is 100°C), while on Light/Idle Light it peaks in the mid-80s. Is this something about which I should be concerned? Will my CPU suffer permanent damage if it is running at this temperature for ~20 hours a day?
aust77

Re: High Folding Temperatures?

Postby PantherX » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:23 pm

How many CPUs are configured for your CPU Slot?

How often does the temperature reach the peak? If the average temperature of the CPU while folding is in the high 80s, then I would be uncomfortable with it. For me, I like if the average temperature of my CPU is roughly 75C or below. However, the CPU can go as high as 85C occasionally which I don't mind. If it hits 90C, I know that there is a dust build up and clean out my fans and enjoy the reduced temperatures.

Nowadays, CPUs have built-in thermal protection that will automatically downclock itself to avoid permanent damage. In extreme cases, the system will shutdown automatically. If you want, you can use ThrottleStop (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=25336) to reduce the CPU temperature.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Chrome Folding App (Beta) Ӂ Troubleshooting "Bad WUs" Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby aust77 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:30 pm

It averages in the mid-80s, believe it or not. I will try ThrottleStop now. There is just one CPU configured, but it has 4 cores and 8 threads, and I believe F@H is making use of all of them.
aust77

Postby P5-133XL » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:49 pm

Not all notebooks have cooling systems that are sufficient for folding especially with the GPU. They just get too hot. The only solutions are to do what you can to keep the airflow unobstructed; Replacing the thermal paste; and using canned air to clean any debris that has accumulated.

The power settings are not going to help much with severe GPU overheating issues. It is there to prevent lag issues more than anything else. If the GPU overheats in full then setting it to something that only GPU folds when idle just means it will overheat when you are not there to monitor it. The GPU has no intermediate levels: It is either folding at max or it is not folding.

You can do some heat control on the GPU by using an OC'ing utility and deliberately down-clocking and down-voltage. However, that will come at the cost of video performance.

However, with the CPU you can control the number of CPU cores used and thereby how much heat it generates while folding. Click configure in Advanced control and go to the slots tab. From there double-clicking on the CPU slot will give you the option to manually set the number of CPU threads (-1 means automatic as defined by the power setting). Manually setting the number of threads takes precedence over the power setting.

You are not alone with a problem with p8900 TPF's. Many low-end GPU's and part-time folders can't complete the p8900 WU's in time. At this time, I do not have a solution for you.
P5-133XL

Postby PantherX » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:02 pm

Do note that you can try 4 CPUs to see if the heat output is acceptable. The reason is that you have 4 Floating Point Units and F@H mainly uses them. Thus, the decrease of points from CPU:8 to CPU:4 isn't a 50% loss, rather it is any where from 10% to 25% depending on the WU type.
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby Jesse_V » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:46 pm

You can try to elevate the laptop to improve air flow. Bottle caps, the cardboard tubes from empty rolls of electrical tape, and a bunch of other small things can be effective here.

A more extreme solution is to try to expose the fan assembly if your laptop supports such an operation. This can be useful if your laptop doesn't move very often. See viewtopic.php?f=38&t=23942&p=239578

I do both. Of course, the simplest solution is to simply cut back on the number of CPU cores used by F@h. :)
Pen tester at Cigital/Synopsys
Jesse_V

Postby hschulze » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:58 pm

Laptops aren't designed for workstation-class continuous computing. They are designed for typical email/web browsing/youtube/spreadsheet sort of use.
Full batteries will also die probably within the hour while folding.

Reducing core count is a really good way to reduce power, but as mentioned, the perf and power difference isn't linear.
Newer FAH executables should also help throttle power.

Higher airflow typically means almost doubling it.
hschulze

Postby PantherX » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:21 am

Welcome to the F@H Forum hschulze,

It mostly depends on the laptop model and it's specifications. An ultra portable is more focused on being light-weight and thus might compromise on it's cooling system as opposed to a gaming/desktop replacement.

Please note that by default, folding will stop automatically when the laptop is using the battery. However, you have the choice to override the default if you need to do so.
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby TomJohnson » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:33 pm

I use SpeedFan V4.49 to monitor/control temps and fan speeds on PCs. (Hardware Monitor and smcFan Control for Macs)
I keep my cpu at around 150 degrees F and if temp goes up then I increase fan speed to lower temp.
I run F@H on my PCs/Macs including laptops 24/7 for the past 10 years with no problems.
iMac 15,1 27" 5K Retina Intel i7 4.0 GHz Dual Quad 24 GB RAM 1 TB Fusion OS 10.10
Mac Pro 5,1 3.06 GHz 12 Core 52 Gig RAM OS 10.9.5 -- Plus 20 more
TomJohnson

Return to V7.3.6 Public Release Windows/Linux/MacOS X