how many cores on cpu slot

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

how many cores on cpu slot

Postby antropofob » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:32 am

Good morning and Happy New Year my fellow folders.
I am folding on 2600k and 7870.
Should I enable all 8 cores on CPU or should I leave it on -1 setting (7cores)?
Thanks.
antropofob

Re: how many cores on cpu slot

Postby ChristianVirtual » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:02 pm

Is it a dedicated folding system or another function running on it ?
I think in general you are best served with -1 and let the software determine what's ok.
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
ChristianVirtual

Postby antropofob » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:16 pm

ChristianVirtual wrote:Is it a dedicated folding system or another function running on it ?
I think in general you are best served with -1 and let the software determine what's ok.

I have no need for that one core idling since I use computer for tasks that are not CPU-intensive.
I know that it is recommended to leave -1 for Nvidia cards, but what is consensus for ATI I wonder?
antropofob

Postby 7im » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:48 pm

The consensus says to leave one core free for the GPU core 17. However, newer drivers might change that recommendation at some point.

Doesn't hurt anything to try folding on all 8 cores plus the GPU for a day or two to see if your PPD goes up or down.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby HaloJones » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:18 pm

ATI doesn't need the dedicated core that NVidia does. You're free to run on all eight.
1x Titan X, 5x 1070

HaloJones

Postby PantherX » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:28 pm

There are at least 2 reports where using AMD Driver version 13.12 has increased CPU Usage (viewtopic.php?f=81&t=25440). Thus, you will have to test it on your system to find out the optimum set-up.

Moreover, CPU folding is a highly synchronous task, thus if 1 CPU is constantly being used by other applications, the overall CPU folding will be effected in a negative manner as it will be folding slower. This usually happens when the CPU is over-subscribed. Thus, you may find that your PPD would be better by reducing the number of CPUs allocated to folding.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby 7im » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:46 pm

HaloJones wrote:ATI doesn't need the dedicated core that NVidia does. You're free to run on all eight.

Like I said, newer drivers may change the performance. A general consensus will never cover all possible specific conditions. Best to try it for yourself.
7im

Postby rbpeake » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:06 pm

ChristianVirtual wrote:Is it a dedicated folding system or another function running on it ?

I thought it was better to run CPU cores in pairs? I have two Nvidia GPU's on a 4-core/8 core hyperthreaded Intel CPU. So I was thinking of running 3 cores/6 hyperthreaded and leave 1 full core/2 hyperthreaded for the GPU's. But like 7im said, maybe I should just test it, although freeing up the GPU's to run unimpeded I know will rule! ;) Thanks.
rbpeake

Postby 7im » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:35 pm

CPU 6 would be the place to start. Then try CPU 7 for a while.
7im

Postby ChristianVirtual » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:55 pm

rbpeake wrote:

I thought it was better to run CPU cores in pairs? I have two Nvidia GPU's on a 4-core/8 core hyperthreaded Intel CPU. So I was thinking of running 3 cores/6 hyperthreaded and leave 1 full core/2 hyperthreaded for the GPU's. But like 7im said, maybe I should just test it, although freeing up the GPU's to run unimpeded I know will rule! ;) Thanks.

I run two GTX 780 on i7 with 4c/8t. I configured the CPU slot as CPU:4.
8 core - 2 core (NV-tax) - 1 for the OS = 5 Cores. Originally I had three NV cards in so I would came down to 4. That also because I remember to read that multiple of 5 as core counter can be a bad choice.
When I tried CPU:6 my overall PPD on the NV cards went down more compared to the gain of CPU PPD. So CPU:4 makes it for me the ideal setting.

Around 140kPPD each GTX card plus around 11kPPD from CPU :eugeek:
ChristianVirtual

Postby PantherX » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:37 pm

Interesting, on my dedicated system, I have set the CPU Affinity (using Process Lasso) to the following:
CPU:7 (FahCore_a3/FahCore_a4) -> locked to CPU 0 - CPU 6
GPU:0 & GPU:1 (FahCore_17) -> locked to CPU 7

I haven't noticed a significant loss of PPD on my GPUs (GTX 660 Ti and GTX 650) and my CPU production did go up for an overall gain. On my non-dedicated system, I shaved off a few seconds by using CPU Affinity on my CPU:5 Slot so would recommend that you give it a try if you are willing to experiment with it (just remember to disable ProBalance under Options).
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby OzPapaSmurf » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:41 am

Just a little ask here. I have a i7 2600K @ 3.4ghzand it is running at the -1 setting as is my GTX Ti SC EVGA.
At the moment the client is showing changing PPD, started at 33014 PPD and 2 mins later 37021.
Is this normal? I was away from FAH for along time and I guess I am rusty :D

Any help for this OLD befuddled brain would be appreciated. :)
I also have 32gb in my beast.

I lost 2 Family members to cancer, no more.
OzPapaSmurf

Postby P5-133XL » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:13 am

Could you paste the log into a post (including the system and Config portions)?

For v7.3.6 it is common for the PPD to alternate between high and low values especially with a new project and early in the progress. The v7.4.0 beta is much better in this respect.
P5-133XL

Postby davidcoton » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:41 am

P5-133XL wrote: The v7.4.0 beta is much better in this respect.

Minor correction -- displayed PPD is better in 7.4.2, but not entirely in 7.4.0.

We do need to see your log to advise the best setting for the CPU, though it also depends on which core is running on the GPU.
If you need more info on this, see https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=16206#p225958 to get the log
and part of https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=16206#p160884 to post it.

David
davidcoton

Postby bruce » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:23 pm

Welcome back, OzPapaSmurf.

The FAHCore which does the actual folding calculations only reports progress periodically, and it takes several reports before the code that estimates the time to complete the WU has enough information to make an accurate prediction about how quickly the calculation is actually proceeding. The initial estimates will vary when you start processing a new WU from a new project until a pattern can be established. As has already been said, V7.4.2 has reduced the variation compared to earlier versions, but it still takes some time for the variations to diminish whenever you are assigned a new project.
bruce

Next

Return to V7.3.6 Public Release Windows/Linux/MacOS X