Reconnecting remote client monitoring after router reboot

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Reconnecting remote client monitoring after router reboot

Postby billford » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:16 pm

Earlier this evening I had occasion to reboot my router, obviously all contact with remote clients was lost. When the router came back up again, FAHControl on my "central" iMac regained contact with all the clients with no problem, HFM (running on a Vista laptop) similarly regained contact with the clients running on both Linux machines, but in order to regain contact with the OS X clients I had to restart all three (2x Mountain Lion, 1x Snow Leopard).

Has anyone seen this sort of thing before, and is it likely to be a problem in the OS X client, OS X itself, HFM or Vista? (Or any combination thereof, or something else that I haven't thought of :ewink: )
Last edited by bruce on Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed topic title to better describe the issue.
billford

Re: Remote access

Postby jimerickson » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:05 pm

had the macs been running quite awhile? because HFM has issues with logs
larger than 5 megabytes.
jimerickson

Postby billford » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:17 pm

Yes, but none of the logs were anywhere near that size- all around half a meg, I've just checked. And one of the Linux boxes had been running even longer!

I wouldn't be surprised if it were simply that Microsoft OS's don't like talking to Apple OS's...

I'm more curious than bothered about it- the difference in behaviour had me scratching my head for a few minutes, but now I know about it I'll know what to do next time!
billford

Postby EXT64 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:22 pm

Could the OS X computers access the internet? Did they have a proper IP address? When I have had router issues and had to reboot the router, depending on the status of the IP leases I sometimes had to release/renew the IP address on some of the computers (the old ones the computer remembered were in conflict with the new assigned ones). If you rebooted it would have the same effect (release/renew IP).
EXT64

Postby billford » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:29 pm

I didn't check all of them, but apart from this oddity everything else on the LAN was working normally. The Vista laptop had internet access too.

None of the computers use DHCP anyway, they're all on fixed IPs- I've had that problem too!
billford

Postby billford » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:34 pm

billford wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if it were simply that Microsoft OS's don't like talking to Apple OS's...

To be more precise: I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft OS's don't recover too well if their conversation with an Apple OS is interrupted...
billford

Postby P5-133XL » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:39 pm

Also, check how the IP addresses are listed in your folding client/HFM.net. Are they accessed through a direct IP address or a host name? If the IP address changed from a DHCP renewal then that is going to prevent access but a host name will typically survive a DHCP renewal with a potential delay for the updating process.
P5-133XL

Postby billford » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:43 pm

They're all accessed using IP addresses and, like I said, they don't use DHCP.
billford

Re: Reconnecting remote client monitoring after router reboo

Postby bruce » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:19 pm

I doubt it's an Apple/Microsoft issue. You said you don't use DHCP/DNS, so from either side of the desired conversation, you should be able to ping the other computer, demonstrating that the IP connection is ready to interchange messages. Beyond that, it's up to the applications to figure out that the previous connection may have been broken and messages may have been lost. It should have an appropriate error-recovery to reestablish a connection. For example, maybe it's appropriate to logon again.

Ticket #983 sounds quite similar except that it addresses the case where the connection is between FAHClient and one of the Stanford Servers.
bruce

Postby billford » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:31 pm

bruce wrote:I doubt it's an Apple/Microsoft issue. You said you don't use DHCP/DNS, so from either side of the desired conversation, you should be able to ping the other computer, demonstrating that the IP connection is ready to interchange messages.

I didn't to a full set of checks, but this iMac could certainly "see" the laptop. I didn't check whether the laptop could see the iMac- HFM certainly couldn't.

Beyond that, it's up to the applications to figure out that the previous connection may have been broken and messages may have been lost. It should have an appropriate error-recovery to reestablish a connection.

Agreed… but it succeeded with the Linux boxes, so it evidently has one. It just doesn't seem to work with OS X :(

Ticket #983 sounds quite similar except that it addresses the case where the connection is between FAHClient and one of the Stanford Servers.

Not dissimilar… anyway, it doesn't seem to be a common problem so it could be down to the assorted software running on my ragbag collection of hardware. I'm happy enough with that.
billford

Postby bruce » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:41 pm

In the case of ticket #983, error recovery is only required if the router reboot occurred while there was an active conversation going on. We have know way of knowing if the Apple was conversing at the time or not. I suppose if you repeated the reboot a number of times and it was always the Linux that recovered and always the Apple that failed, we'd know more than we do now ... but if you're happy dropping the issue, that's okay with me.
bruce

Postby billford » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:55 pm

bruce wrote: ... but if you're happy dropping the issue, that's okay with me.

I really don't think it's worth going through a lot of work (on both sides) to track down an oddity that seems as though it may well be a peculiarity of my setup and not relevant to anyone else (or, at best, a very small number of donors).

It would be of interest to know why it happened, but it's unlikely to happen often (I reboot the router even less frequently than I reboot the computers), and it only takes a few moments to work around it… so yes, I'm happy to drop it.

If a load of others pile into this topic with the same problem then it might be a different matter!
billford

Return to V7.3.6 Public Release Windows/Linux/MacOS X