Base Credit Only?

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Base Credit Only?

Postby schnarff » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:04 pm

I'm an old-school folder - first unit was 6/25/05, apparently (according to the folks at extremoverclocking; same username here and with FAH) - but am just now folding on Macs for the first time ever, thanks to a company-issued Macbook Pro (not sure the exact model, but one of the newer ones with a nice spiffy Retina display, 16GB RAM, etc.). I've got version 7.3.6 for OS X pulled from the main Stanford site, and I mostly have it cranked up to "Full" on the bar (since I generally just use this box to interact with the web). It's been cranking through units like 9007 pretty steadily, and getting what appears to be bonus credit in the process:

06:27:06:WU00:FS00:Upload complete
06:27:06:WU00:FS00:Server responded WORK_ACK (400)
06:27:06:WU00:FS00:Final credit estimate, 10852.00 points

The problem is, as you can see if you check my user stats (schnarff), I'm not getting anywhere close to that many points (I haven't had a day over 10,000 since I moved to Atlanta in December, which has thrown all of my processors into chaos). Seems, from what I can tell, like I'm actually just getting base points, and not any of the speed bonus.

Frankly I'll probably continue folding on the box one way or another - I do it primarily for the science, and it's still valid science - but since I admit I do enjoy the rush of watching myself rise in the stats, it sure would be nice if I could get those bonus points that the Stanford servers are saying they've thrown my way. Is there some peculiarity with the Mac client I need to be aware of to get bonus credit? I did a default install, nothing special.
schnarff

Re: Base Credit Only?

Postby ChristianVirtual » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:10 pm

Make sure to create and assign a passkey. A qualified passkey is prerequisite for QRB. You need at least 10 successfully WU after assignment of a passkey to get it qualified.

http://folding.stanford.edu/home/faq/faq-passkey/

Oh, and don't try GPU folding on your Mac; not working (yet)
Last edited by ChristianVirtual on Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
ChristianVirtual

Postby bollix47 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:12 pm

Welcome to the folding@home support forum schnarff.

Have you checked the passkey that you've entered on the mac making sure that you didn't make a typo or add a space before or after. It looks like you have more than one passkey and one of them only has 3 returned work units which means it won't get bonus until you successfully return 10.
bollix47

Postby davidcoton » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:16 pm

Welcome to the forum.

You'll need a mod to check what is being credited, but it sounds as though the passkey is either missing or incorrect. Mods can't read the passkey, but they can tell if you're using a different one or none. If you've not used one, see http://folding.stanford.edu/home/faq/faq-passkey/ for the details. If you have used one before, check that it is entered correctly with no leading or trailing space. If that doesn't fix it (but remember you must return ten units with 80% success to get the bonus), the mods will need a sample WU project number with the run, generation, and clone ("prgc") to check on.

David

EDIT: Beaten to it -- twice over!!
davidcoton

Postby schnarff » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:46 pm

Wow, amazingly fast replies folks. Thanks!

I've never actually dealt with a passkey before. Guess I'll go set one up and keep cranking from there. Don't suppose there's any way to get back credit for any of the bonus points I'd have had, is there/
schnarff

Postby davidcoton » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:47 pm

Nope. :(
davidcoton

Postby sortofageek » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:50 pm

Be sure to keep a record of your passkey and the email address you used to acquire it. You will need the passkey for any future clients you install and the email address if you need to contact Pande Group for help in regard to that passkey in the future.
sortofageek
Site Admin

Postby schnarff » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:54 pm

Does it generally take a while for the email on the passkey to arrive? I mean, perhaps I'm being impatient, but I find that if I don't have an email like that in the first 5 minutes, the chances of it eventually arriving without some sort of intervention are low.
schnarff

Postby Joe_H » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:56 pm

One thing not mentioned, the current publicly available folding client - V7.3.6 - displays an estimated points with the assumption that a passkey is present and qualified. That is changed in the version currently under public beta, if there is no passkey entered into the client the points shown as estimated should just be the base ones.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Joe_H
Site Admin

Postby PantherX » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:57 pm

schnarff wrote:...am just now folding on Macs for the first time ever, thanks to a company-issued Macbook Pro (not sure the exact model, but one of the newer ones with a nice spiffy Retina display, 16GB RAM, etc.)...

Please note that according to the EULA, you need to have written permission (from the system owner) to run F@H on systems that you don't own. Thus, could you please ask your Boss/IT Department for permission so that you will comply with the EULA and also not get into trouble.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Chrome Folding App (Beta) Ӂ Troubleshooting "Bad WUs" Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby PantherX » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:59 pm

schnarff wrote:Does it generally take a while for the email on the passkey to arrive? I mean, perhaps I'm being impatient, but I find that if I don't have an email like that in the first 5 minutes, the chances of it eventually arriving without some sort of intervention are low.

For me, it arrived within 3 minutes. Do check your Spam folder. If you request for a passkey again, using the same email address, you will get the same passkey again. The Passkey is tied to the email account.
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby schnarff » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:19 am

PantherX wrote:
schnarff wrote:...am just now folding on Macs for the first time ever, thanks to a company-issued Macbook Pro (not sure the exact model, but one of the newer ones with a nice spiffy Retina display, 16GB RAM, etc.)...

Please note that according to the EULA, you need to have written permission (from the system owner) to run F@H on systems that you don't own. Thus, could you please ask your Boss/IT Department for permission so that you will comply with the EULA and also not get into trouble.

Not worried at all on this one. Not only is the company supportive of charitable work, it's my electricity (I work from home), and company policy is wide open on this sort of thing.

Got my passkey after I used a secondary email (it hit my spam folder about instantly). No problems with this as long as I've still got the username I use in there, correct?

Oh, and good call on the client assuming no passkey if you don't have one installed in the future.
schnarff

Postby PantherX » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:52 am

Okay, am I correct to assume that you now have two passkeys, one given to your primary email account and another on your secondary email account? If that is the case, then please choose a single passkey and use that with your username for this installation and future installation too.
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby 7im » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:42 am

I'm glad the newer beta client is more accurate, but if not for the points discrepancy in the current client, the lack of a passkey here could have gone on a lot longer. Is that really a net benefit?

Hopefully the new language in the new log file still makes the lack of a passkey just as obvious.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Return to V7.3.6 Public Release Windows/Linux/MacOS X