FAH Client greyed out, but why?

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

FAH Client greyed out, but why?

Postby pompeyrodney » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:27 am

Hi All
Just done a fresh install of Debian Wheezy 7.4 on an old Dell T310 server. I have installed the FAHClient, the FAHviewer and FAHControl, all using the 64bit deb files. When I start the client all I see is a very greyed out window and I seem powerless to do anything with. I have not had this happen before when I have the same OS on another server so I was wondering if anyone else might be able to advise on what might be causing this. Thanks for any help in advance.
pompeyrodney

Re: FAH Client greyed out, but why?

Postby PantherX » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:38 am

During installation, did you leave the option "Autostart" checked or not? If it is checked, FAHClient will run as a daemon (service) automatically upon system start-up. If it is unchecked, you need to manually start FAHClient. If you have restarted your system after the installation of F@H, and FAHControl is still greyed out, please check if FAHClient is running or not. If it isn't running, you can start it by using (it worked on Ubuntu/Mint):
sudo /etc/init.d/FAHClient start

Some other commands that you might find useful are:
sudo /etc/init.d/FAHClient restart
sudo /etc/init.d/FAHClient stop
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Chrome Folding App (Beta) Ӂ Troubleshooting "Bad WUs" Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby pompeyrodney » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:33 pm

Hi Pantherx
I did not select the autostart on install but I purged and reinstalled anyway. When I select Applications-Science-FAHClient it still starts up greyed out, however if I run sudo /etc/init.d/FAHClient start it then comes to life, and I am no longer greyed out. So thanks a lot although I must say I am now somewhat confused as to why this happened. I have another Wheezy server that all I have to do is run the graphical FAHClient, with no command line involved at all, any ideas why? Thanks.
pompeyrodney

Postby 7im » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:15 pm

Auto start is selected as the default. If it does not auto start, the option was unchecked manually during the first install. A purge and reinstall does not seem to bring that setting back on the next installation.

Haven't figured that one out yet.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Return to V7.3.6 Public Release Windows/Linux/MacOS X