Assignment of Fah Core 0xa4 WUs

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: Assignment of Fah Core 0xa4 WUs

Postby davidcoton » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:06 pm

There are strange "runs" of allocations across all OS and clients, but no known reason for one platform to be favoured by particular core allocations. I think if you surveyed all the strange (apparently anomalous) runs of allocations reported here, they would cancel out. (It would be interesting to know if the length of these runs is statistically significant or not, but as yet there is only anecdotal evidence that the allocations sometimes do not follow the weightings set on the servers. Sometimes there are reasons: IIRC Core17 was kept on beta or advanced longer on Linux than on Windows.)

As for a3 vs. a4 scores, you may be right. But remember there is a 10% bonus for a4 that doesn't show in the log -- you have to sort out what is actually awarded from the stats. And then at least one a4 project has a 10% uplift in base points but no final bonus. It makes it very difficult to be sure that comparisons are valid.

Personally, I don't fold for points. Sometimes I use ppd as an indication of how efficiently my system is working, but the random variations in daily and even weekly scores make it difficult to be sure of anything. And comparing Core15 (no QRB) with Core17 is almost impossible (can be done by looking at base points only).

While some people are motivated by points (I don't have a problem with that), my approach (and some others who have reported here) is just to make my systems available and let PG sort out how they use it -- though I'm sure the feedback here is important to them in sorting out occasional problems.

David
davidcoton

Postby 7im » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:27 pm

TomJohnson wrote:
7im wrote:Nope. Linux folds faster than Windows, not a4 faster than a3.

I don't do Linux - just Windows 7/8 and Mac OS so for me a4 is faster and provides more PPD than a3s.
I still would like to get a4s for my i7 Dual Quad PCs.

OS X is Linux under a pretty skin.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby Joe_H » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:55 pm

7im wrote:
TomJohnson wrote:
7im wrote:Nope. Linux folds faster than Windows, not a4 faster than a3.

I don't do Linux - just Windows 7/8 and Mac OS so for me a4 is faster and provides more PPD than a3s.
I still would like to get a4s for my i7 Dual Quad PCs.

OS X is Linux under a pretty skin.

No, OS X traces back to FreeBSD/NetBSD not Linux. It may use a number of utilities that were developed for Linux, but the origin dates back to NeXTSTEP being written based on BSD Unix. As for speed, from reports I have read the cores process at about the same rate on Linux and OS X as compared to Windows.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Joe_H
Site Admin

Postby 7im » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:52 pm

Like I said, OS X folds faster than Windows.

And thanks for the clarification. But since both Linux and OS X are pretty skins, based on two different branches of the same Unix tree, the distinction is minor to me. Like wolves and dingos. Linux, Unix, OS X all say canine to me. Windows says feline. ;)
7im

Postby billford » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:51 pm

7im wrote:... OS X all say canine to me.

Hmm… From 10.0 onwards: Cheetah, Puma, Jaguar, Panther, Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion :D
billford

Postby P5-133XL » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:14 pm

Often, it is just the minor details count. I think if he tries the AS server will just reject the OSX-bigadv category and return that there isn't any WU's to send. There are other possibilities, like it might work; or the AS sending a normal OSX WU; or even Core_A5 outright failing to run, so I don't know what will really happen. I've never heard of anyone testing it.
P5-133XL

Postby 7im » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:49 am

P5-133XL wrote:Often, it is just the minor details count. I think if he tries the AS server will just reject the OSX-bigadv category and return that there isn't any WU's to send. There are other possibilities, like it might work; or the AS sending a normal OSX WU; or even Core_A5 outright failing to run, so I don't know what will really happen. I've never heard of anyone testing it.

Linux only for BA. OSX gets regular SMP.
7im

Postby TomJohnson » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:00 pm

What are the Project Numbers of the bigadv WUs ? How do I recognize a bigadv WU ? The Project Summary does not have bigadv WUs listed.
My Mac Pro 5,1 is currently working on a 7647 - a4 but there is no description available for this WU.
I have client-type set for bigadv but have not received any warning about the lack of WUs available or problems processing 7647.
A Search for bigadv info provides a 2011 thread: "Wither the bigadv WUs?"
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=19906&p=199867&hilit=What+projects+numbers+are+associated+with+bigadv#p199867
Looked through Server Status but could not find any reference to bigadv. Recommend that a bigadv "flag" be set on Server Status page.
Based on above Reply it looks like the bigadv's are seen in Project Summary as /Code/GRO_A5.
Last edited by TomJohnson on Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
iMac 15,1 27" 5K Retina Intel i7 4.0 GHz Dual Quad 24 GB RAM 1 TB Fusion OS 10.10
Mac Pro 5,1 3.06 GHz 12 Core 52 Gig RAM OS 10.9.5 -- Plus 20 more
TomJohnson

Postby bollix47 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:10 pm

The bigadv projects are 8101/5 and come from work server 128.143.231.201. If you look at the Server Status for that WS you won't see an X under OS-Weight etc. That does mean OS X will not get any assignments from that server. As has already been stated bigadv is Linux only which the OS-Weight column does indicate with an "L". Your bigadv setting will be ignored and your requests for work units will be assigned to a work server that has SMP work for your O/S.

For a description of P7647 see: viewtopic.php?p=215361#p215361
bollix47

Postby 7im » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:03 pm

TomJohnson wrote:What are the Project Numbers of the bigadv WUs ? How do I recognize a bigadv WU ? The Project Summary does not have bigadv WUs listed.
My Mac Pro 5,1 is currently working on a 7647 - a4 but there is no description available for this WU.
I have client-type set for bigadv but have not received any warning about the lack of WUs available or problems processing 7647.
A Search for bigadv info provides a 2011 thread: "Wither the bigadv WUs?"
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=19906&p=199867&hilit=What+projects+numbers+are+associated+with+bigadv#p199867
Looked through Server Status but could not find any reference to bigadv. Recommend that a bigadv "flag" be set on Server Status page.
Based on above Reply it looks like the bigadv's are seen in Project Summary as /Code/GRO_A5.

BigAdv is discussed in the FAQs on the fah web site. FAH SMP FAQ: What are BigAdv work units? and FAH Configuration Guide: Big Advanced WU
As you've seen, the fahcore_a5 is used for BA work units. That's how you tell them from regular work units on the PSum page. They are a very small percentage of total work units.
The BigAdv setting is only a client preference, like all client type settings. If you request -advanced work units, and there aren't any, NO error message is shown, you simply get regular work units. The same applies to the -bigadv preference setting. If all the BA work units run dry, you will get assigned regular SMP work units. This is also mentioned in the FAH config guide linked above, and in the FAH install guide for your operating system.
7im

Previous

Return to V7.3.6 Public Release Windows/Linux/MacOS X