Warnings and errors in log

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Warnings and errors in log

Postby billford » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:58 am

While I'm re-stocking my caffeine levels in the morning I fire up FAHControl, log tab, check the ""Warnings & Errors" box and have a look at what's been going on with the clients overnight.

Usually nothing, as with this morning's check.

But yesterday I had a "Bad state detected" message on one client (it's still in the log), and I know from past experience that too many of these will cause the WU to be dumped. So it would seem to be (at least) a warning but isn't detected using the check box.

So the questions- is it as designed or a buglet, is there a slot or client option I should have set to enable detection and is 7.4.4 the same?
billford

Re: Warnings and errors in log

Postby PantherX » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:52 am

Not sure if this is a feature or a bug. However, I would say that the message:
Bad State detected... attempting to resume from last good checkpoint

Would be better off not being a warning or an error since there are times when nothing bad happens to the WU. In those cases, trying to search the log file to get the message would be a waste of time.

However, if the WU does fail after that message, it does come up in the Warnings & Errors:
09:48:17:WU00:FS01:0x17:ERROR:exception: Max Retries Reached
09:48:17:WARNING:WU00:FS01:FahCore returned: BAD_WORK_UNIT (114 = 0x72)

So now, you can actually search the log file for something to report. This is the behavior on V7.2.9 and V7.4.4 which I use (skipped V7.3.6 due to download bug).
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Chrome Folding App (Beta) Ӂ Troubleshooting "Bad WUs" Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby billford » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:06 pm

OK, thanks.

The only reason I raised it is that, when it occurs, it may be a hint to try dropping the frequency a bit on the 780 Ti I'm trying to get stable under Linux before there's another 4 of 'em :wink:
billford

Postby 7im » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:03 pm

Error reporting was not designed to assist with overclocking. It was designed for post problem troubleshooting, not self inflicted overclock crashes. ;)
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby bruce » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:51 pm

There's good reason to allow a reasonable margin and not to try to overclock the last N MHz. If you don't leave enough margin, even a rare "bad state" (or whatever) will cost you more progress than those extra N MHz would gain.
bruce

Postby billford » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:02 pm

bruce wrote:There's good reason to allow a reasonable margin and not to try to overclock the last N MHz. If you don't leave enough margin, even a rare "bad state" (or whatever) will cost you more progress than those extra N MHz would gain.

Tell that to the NVIdia drivers, the Linux ones don't give very much control- they want to run flat-out all the time :(

I've given up and am partway through getting Vista installed and set up, hopefully I'll have better luck with that!
billford

Postby bruce » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:59 pm

GPUs, themselves, always run flag-out whenever there is work to be processed. They have no concept of priority or interrupting one task to work on another one. The drivers use CPU resources which are managed by your OS and the concepts of priority and interrupts (and affinity) do make sense although they may not be optimized for your particular installation.
bruce

Postby billford » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:04 pm

bruce wrote:GPUs, themselves, always run flag-out whenever there is work to be processed.

So I'm finding out… along with the fact that the various clocking parameters don't do what I thought they did! Ah well, back to the bottom of the learning curve.

One thing showed up almost immediately- the CPU slot picked up a P8572, which I've had a few of before and it looked to be running quite slowly, enough so that I checked if anything else was stealing CPU time. Nope…

Off to HFM to look at the earlier stats- when the machine was running Linux it returned a TPF of a bit over 15 minutes for those WUs. On Vista it's a bit under 19 minutes… Of course, it's only one WU and it could be a slow one, I know they can vary sometimes within a project, but I shall keep a close eye on that cpu slot :)

But if the GPU turns out to be stable under Vista It'll more than outweigh any penalty of slower cpu folding.
billford

Postby bruce » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:16 am

Reporting the TPF on Linux and the TPF on Vista is a meaningless comparison unless both were processing the identical projects.
bruce

Postby billford » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:52 am

bruce wrote:Reporting the TPF on Linux and the TPF on Vista is a meaningless comparison unless both were processing the identical projects.

They were- P8572.

I thought I'd made that reasonably clear, even to acknowledging that WUs can vary within a project. Apologies if it wasn't.
billford

Return to V7.3.6 Public Release Windows/Linux/MacOS X