FAHControl will not start on Mandriva Linux

FAH provides a V7 client installer for Debian / Mint / Ubuntu / RedHat / CentOS / Fedora. Installation on other distros may or may not be easy but if you can offer help to others, they would appreciate it.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

christan

FAHControl will not start on Mandriva Linux

Post by christan »

Hello,

I am running the cooker version of Mandriva Linux. When I try to start FAHControl, I get the following message.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/FAHControl", line 24, in <module>
from fah import FAHControl, load_fahcontrol_db
ImportError: No module named fah

What am I missing? I installed fah vs 7 from the RPM but had to use --nodeps to get it to go.

Regards,

Chris
SandStar

Re: FAHControl will not start on Mandriva Linux

Post by SandStar »

This is a known issue on distribution that use Python-2.7 instead of 2.6.
A fix is in the making.

Also see viewtopic.php?f=67&t=18046
In the beginning, the Universe was created. This made a lot of people angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad move.
[url=irc://irc.freenode.net/#folding@home]#folding@home[/url] on irc.freenode.net
christan

Post by christan »

Thanks
prjindigo

Post by prjindigo »

so, oddly, "working as intended" I guess.
SandStar

Post by SandStar »

prjindigo wrote:so, oddly, "working as intended" I guess.
You guess wrong; it is intended to work. But because there are a lot of linux distro's and only a few have started migrating to python 2.7 this issue was discovered late in the development.
I'm not a dev but as far as I can understand the issue it's just a matter of making the code python 2.7 compliant and find a way to install the python libs in the correct folder, based on the python version used.
In the beginning, the Universe was created. This made a lot of people angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad move.
[url=irc://irc.freenode.net/#folding@home]#folding@home[/url] on irc.freenode.net
chad.deraps

Post by chad.deraps »

I had the same problem when I updated Ubuntu from 10.4 to 11.4. Two things did to fix it were.

1) Move /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/fah to python2.7
2) Fix /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/fah/fah/util/SingleApp.py
The single_app_port was out of range. Remove the first 5 and it should work. Whether that was the intended port number is beyond me, but it works :)
site_reg

Post by site_reg »

Hi,

This issue is going on two years old now. I downloaded the latest Linux release this week and it still won't run on Python 2.7. Does anyone know when a fixed version will be released? I'd rather not have to employ a hack to get the software running. I know the FAH team likely has a lot of other more important things to do, but a two-year-old issue that should not take more than a few days at most to fix (how much could Python have changed in one point release?) and makes a part of your audience have to use an unofficial workaround to get it to work is somewhat disheartening.

Is there any way that the community can help get an official 2.6+ (note the plus sign) version out?
bruce

Post by bruce »

Stanford has no plans to support Mandriva so the answer to your question "When...?" is probably "Never" This forum allows donors like yourself report what they did to get it to run, but there will be no official support.

The version of Python being used may change at any time, but only if it's needed to support Redhat/Centos/Fedora/Debian/Ubuntu/Mint/MacOS/Windows.
site_reg

Post by site_reg »

I'm running Fedora 17, not Mandriva. I got to this thread through a Google search and I guess I just hijacked it to another distro without thinking; my apologies.

I just noticed that FAH is indeed running on my machine, but not on all cores as I would expect it to. FAHControl won't open so I'll probably have to fiddle with command line options to get it running right. FAHViewer never loads the protein, it just hangs at the world background screen. I'm not sure if these issues are related to Python; I had previously gotten an error about requiring 2.6, but that isn't happening now.

I guess my point is that the fix is still necessary, even if it's not on Mandriva. If the issue is not distro-specific but Python version-specific, fixing that would (in a perfect world) alleviate similar issues across both officially supported and non-supported distros, and eliminate one more variable when troubleshooting problems like I see with FAHViewer.
ilkyest

Post by ilkyest »

I don't know if it helps, but, on fedora 18 minimal I could make the folding works

ln -s libbz2.so.1.0.6 libbz2.so.1.0

fahcontrol I couldn't

Another way is download the RPM package, and navigate to the "FAHCLIENT/FAHCOREWRAPPER" and run the client by command line. In arch linux I do like this
targitaj

Post by targitaj »

FAHControl
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/FAHControl", line 25, in <module>
from fah import FAHControl, load_fahcontrol_db
ImportError: No module named fah
lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS
Release: 14.04
Codename: trusty
2015 march...
TSC! Russia
targitaj

Post by targitaj »

fixed. Now fahcontrol work in ubuntu 14.04
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:gurqn/systray-$(lsb_release -sc)
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
TSC! Russia