Two tips of folding on arch linux. GPU and CPU

FAH provides a V7 client installer for Debian / Mint / Ubuntu / RedHat / CentOS / Fedora. Installation on other distros may or may not be easy but if you can offer help to others, they would appreciate it.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

ilkyest

Two tips of folding on arch linux. GPU and CPU

Post by ilkyest »

Hello pals

On arch linux (unsupported distro) there are two ways of install folding.
  • One of them is by AUR;
  • Another one is downloading the package (.DEB, or .RPM) extract it with ark, what results in a "data.tar.gz" package. Extract again, resulting in a /etc and /usr folder (RPM package)
Create another folder in your "user directory" and copy/cut-copy FAHClient and FAHCoreWrapper these aplications to "your folding"

after it, just run in command line the "./FAHClient --configure" and after configured, ./FAHClient

About folding on GPU.

On my machine (Asus M4A88TD-V EVO USB3 with AMD Phenom II X4 955BE, and with GTX 650Ti Zogis) I only could fold with GPU following two steps
  • use client-type advanced on slot configuration
  • Install the ".run" driver (from nvidia site) on the distro's driver.
:!: Install nvidia driver like distro teaches (pacman -S nvidia, or nvidia-304-xx), reboot, configure, etc, etc, etc.
:!: Once installed and working, download the driver "NVIDIA-XXX.RUN" from nvidia's site,
:!: press CTRL+ALT+F1, that changes to tty1,
:!: login as root, type, once logged in, "systemctl stop <your dm>" (systemctl stop kdm/gdm/xdm/ldm)
:!: type "sh NVIDIA-LINUX-XXXXXXXX.RUN" (you can type NVIDIA-<press tab>. If only this "nvidia-xxxxxxxx" application is in the downloaded folder, pressing TAB will fill the command line with the comand. You don't need type all the command)
:!: choose "accept"
:!: wait while installs (maybe the program say that there's a part of driver already installed. maybe With nvidia-304-xx and 319.49 driver didn't say nothing"
:!: When installer asks to change "configuration files" choose NO (It's working, nothing about change it)
:!: restart

now I could, even, change the "config.xml" or configuring beta by "fahcontrol" that is available from AUR

On my machine, still, I should use, on 10-monitor.conf
Option "IgnoreEDIDChecksum" "DVI-I-0"
I've asked something on https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topi ... -1024x768/, cause I couldn't reach 1440x900 resolution on my arch, with my monitor.

I hope that it helps
ilkyest

Re: Two tips of folding on arch linux. GPU and CPU

Post by ilkyest »

good news... Execute the "nvidia-xconfig" and, at least for me, don't need install over the installed driver....

once, on arch, you created 10-monitor.conf on /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d nothing about screen resolution are affected. But, create a backup before this command. folding at all now.

and after...

Code: Select all

pacman -S opencl-nvidia
and, let's fold
morten666

Post by morten666 »

Hello. I'm Arch user, now fold only on CPU. Current video card is Intel and it works great in Arch.
What about Nvidia? I'm thinking about buying GTX650, but will it work with Arch fine? I update often, will latest kernel + nvidia blob work fine?
And does gpu-client in background affect desktop performance? I do not want lags and so on. In Windows it does affect and its hard to work.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Since Arch is not official supported by Stanford, somebody has to take their chances and try it.

Linux is only supported by FahCore_17 and the limitations that have been found on other distros are a direct result of poor driver support for OpenCL (not OpenGL). If you can find proprietary nVidia drivers, it'll probably work. If you can only find open drivers, it probably won't work.

Linux/OS-X drivers are also a major stumbling block for GPU-computing both Intel and ATI/AMD.
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

When I was folding in Ubuntu 12.10 LTS 64-bit on Nvidia GTX 660 Ti, with Nvidia Drivers, I didn't notice any lag in my day to day applications (Firefox, etc). YMMV.

While I am not sure about Arch, on Windows, I have Nvidia GPU dedicated to F@H while my iGPU (Intel HD 4000) runs everything else and I don't encounter any lag what so ever. Thus, if possible, you can set the Intel GPU as a primary one and the Nvidia GPU as a secondary one which can fold without any lag.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
ilkyest

Post by ilkyest »

morten666 wrote:Hello. I'm Arch user, now fold only on CPU. Current video card is Intel and it works great in Arch.
What about Nvidia? I'm thinking about buying GTX650, but will it work with Arch fine? I update often, will latest kernel + nvidia blob work fine?
And does gpu-client in background affect desktop performance? I do not want lags and so on. In Windows it does affect and its hard to work.
Excuse me by don't answer you. I should send my motherboard to RMA

On arch I made up to 30k PPD. To me don't affects so much the performance, but, yes, I took off the "hardware rendering" on firefox.....

Don't wish, obviously, folding while gaming... but, I can navigate, listen music, and typing texts in a normal way, withou no worryes.

About what've said Panther, arch isn't officialy supported cause the linux that folding officialy supports are ".DEB". and ".RPM" packaged. while arch linux is ".TAR.XZ;

But nothing that, downloading the "RPM" package, extracting it, and executing "./FAHClient --confgure" and, after, using AUR to compile fahcontrol don't make you happy