FAH on Chakra Linux (arch variant)

FAH provides a V7 client installer for Debian / Mint / Ubuntu / RedHat / CentOS / Fedora. Installation on other distros may or may not be easy but if you can offer help to others, they would appreciate it.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

halucigenia

FAH on Chakra Linux (arch variant)

Post by halucigenia »

Hi,

I just got my new build up and running on my Sapphire PURE Black 990FX (which required BIOS 1APEF036.ROM for this GPU) with a Gigabyte GTX660 GV-N660OC-2GD .

I went for Chakra Linux which is an arch variant (just to be different).

I used octopi (GUI for Pacman) to install Nvidia 3.19.49-1, nvidia-utils 3.19.49-1 and opencl-nvidia 3.19.49-2

I installed FAH from arch AUR using the following command "makepkg -s -f" after cding to the folder that I extracted the foldingathome 7.3.6-1 tarball to.

Then used "sudo pacman -U foldingathome-7.3.6-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz" to install

I manually edited the config.xml as per my previous Ubuntu installs.

And ran sudo FAHClient from the resulting /opt/fah directory

There must be a way to get this up and running, maybe getting it into the Chakra CCR Repos, and to get FAHClient running as a service but since I am new to Chakra Linux that is beyond my capabilities at the moment.

I hope that this helps someone.

Also if anyone has any advice for getting FAH up and running on this distro in a better way please let me know.

It is just folding the first 7811 WU @ ~ 60000 PPD (using FAHControl from my Kubuntu box to monitor it)

1)KUbuntu AMD Phenom II 940 GTX 650ti. 2)Chakra Linux AMD FX6300 GTX660 + GT640 (gk208)
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Re: FAH on Chakra Linux (arch variant)

Post by Jesse_V »

Why are you running FAHClient as root? It should have its own user, with less privileges than root.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
halucigenia

Post by halucigenia »

Jesse_V wrote:Why are you running FAHClient as root? It should have its own user, with less privileges than root.
Thanks, any advice appreciated. As I said I will have to figure out how to set it up as a service.

1)KUbuntu AMD Phenom II 940 GTX 650ti. 2)Chakra Linux AMD FX6300 GTX660 + GT640 (gk208)
halucigenia

Post by halucigenia »

To get FAHClient running as a service I was following Folding@home - ArchWiki
But getting stuck at the
# systemctl start foldingathome
step as it always returned an error regarding locales.

so I edited the /etc/locale.gen file and added the following lines to it:-

en_GB ISO-8859-1
en_GB.UTF-8 UTF-8

then ran
sudo locale.gen

and re-ran
makepkg -s -f
and
sudo pacman -U foldingathome-7.3.6-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
from the folder that I extracted tarball to

Then continued with the Folding@home - ArchWiki instructions
cd /opt/fah
# sudo systemctl start foldingathome
$ sudo systemctl status foldingathome
# sudo systemctl enable foldingathome

and it now appears to be running as a service OK :D

I really should have waited till I had it running as a service before I posted this thread, but I was excited just to be able to fold on my new build. :oops:

halucigenia

Post by halucigenia »

Update:

I have been using the old version of Chakra that I originally installed as per the OP since I found that when upgrading Chakra with pacman -Syu the Nvidia drivers were being upgraded to 331.20 and I lost up to 50% ppd.

However, I recently spotted a thread on the chakra forums that stated that nvidia-304xx was supported in the latest versions. It took a bit of doing to update as I had to remove all traces of Nvidia 3.19 drivers, as they are still unsupported, before I could get pacman -Syu to work. But after the upgrade running

Code: Select all

sudo pacman -S nvidia-304xx-utils nvidia-304xx opencl-nvidia-304xx
got me up and running with FAH again on an upgraded Chakra OS.

I also took the opportunity to upgrade to FAHClient 7.4.4 by downloading fahclient_7.4.4-64bit-release.tar.bz2 from Arch AUR and following the same instructions as in the OP.

So, now I am all up to date I will check out what PPD I get with the upgraded rig, hopefully it will be close enough to what I was getting before.

7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Downloading a fah client from anywhere other than the fah web sites is both risky and a violation of the EULA.

Known good (unmodified, not hacked, etc.) links are provided in the Linux Install Guide.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
bruce

Post by bruce »

I checked on the Arch AUR library. They do not host the client. They maintain an index which points right back to the Stanford site, so the words "risky and a violation of the EULA" do not apply (but it was worth checking). The copy you downloaded was not modified/hacked/etc.