Guide for fan speed control for Nvidia cards in Linux

FAH provides a V7 client installer for Debian / Mint / Ubuntu / RedHat / CentOS / Fedora. Installation on other distros may or may not be easy but if you can offer help to others, they would appreciate it.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

ChristianVirtual

Re: Guide for fan speed control for Nvidia cards in Linux

Post by ChristianVirtual »

@hawkeye: what happen ? Any error message ? Did you set for both card the coolbits ? How did you set fan speed for your first card ?
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
ralphw

Post by ralphw »

[2016 update request]

I've tried the more automated way of configuring, using nvidia-settings, coolbits is only applied to a single GPU, despite the previous claim it will set them for both.
It also seems to wipe out the use of the Intel GPU on the i7 Processor, which is irritating.

Is there another way to build the xorg.conf file automatically in such a way that I can easily add coolbits to the device settings?
I seem to still need an X server running for each GPU, in order to use coolbits settings.

I would like to find a utility to set the fan speed independent of X, if that exists.
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

The latest drivers have proven to be problematic for folding. I'm using 367.57 without problems. If you need to reinstall your drivers I recommend reinstalling F@H so that it gets the latest hardware information.

Assuming you've already blacklisted the nouveau driver and successfully installed an appropriate driver open a terminal and type the following:

Code: Select all

sudo nvidia-xconfig --enable-all-gpus
sudo nvidia-xconfig --cool-bits=28
Reboot and check xorg.conf to see if the desired results were achieved.

The onboard GPU is not likely to be of any use for folding but it may interfere with your indices. Try running lspci or FAHClient --lspci to determine what index to use for your GPU slot.

You can then use nvidia-settings to adjust the fan or you can create a small batch file and add it to the auto startup programs:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
nvidia-settings -a [gpu:0]/GPUFanControlState=1
nvidia-settings -a [fan:0]/GPUTargetFanSpeed=75
nvidia-settings -a [gpu:1]/GPUFanControlState=1
nvidia-settings -a [fan:1]/GPUTargetFanSpeed=60
The above is just an example and may need adjustments for your particular GPU(s).

If your onboard GPU turns out to be gpu:0 then you won't want the lines containing :0 in the batch file.