[tuto]7.4.4,opensuse 13.1,installation

FAH provides a V7 client installer for Debian / Mint / Ubuntu / RedHat / CentOS / Fedora. Installation on other distros may or may not be easy but if you can offer help to others, they would appreciate it.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

promeneur
Hardware configuration: openSUSE Tumbleweed, x86_64,Asrock B760M-HDV/M.2 D4, Intel Core i3-12100, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 730, NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030, Edup-Love EP-9651GS Wi-Fi Bluetooth, multicard reader USB 3.0 startech.com 35fcreadbu3, Epson XP 7100, Headset Bluetooth 3.0 Philips SHQ7300

[tuto]7.4.4,opensuse 13.1,installation

Post by promeneur »

1. do not update from 7.3.6 to 7.4.4

uninstall 7.3.6

in /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/
check there is nothing about fah . if yes delete all about fah

IN THIS ORDER

as user open a text console
then
go to to the folder where fah rpm are stored (for me "cd ~/Téléchargements")
then
install the fah rpms ignoring the "python(abi) = 2.6" and "bzip2-libs" error messages because the corresponding packets are well installed by default when installing opensuse

the required password is the root password (administrator)

the root password is your user password if you made an automatically installation or the root password if you choose not using you as administrator

su -c"zypper install fahcontrol-7.4.4-1.noarch.rpm"

su -c"zypper install fahviewer-7.4.4-1.x86_64.rpm"

su -c"zypper install fahclient-7.4.4-1.x86_64.rpm"

at this step the cpu fan noise indicates that something new consumes much cpu power
i launch fahview . this confirm fahclient is running

then

as root create
in /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/
create a link "fah -> /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/fah"
by using

cd /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/
ln -s /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/fah fah

then
launch fahcontrol
then
go to 'identity" tab
then
as usual fill you fah user id, you fah keypass, the team member you belong to

then
with yast service manager set to "enable" FAHClient according to start it at boot

note :
perhaps you must reboot or wait a delay for FAHClient appearing in service list of the yast service manager
then
you can enable it according to start it at boot
drf99
Hardware configuration: Main System: Asus Prime PRIME Z270-A, Intel Core i7-7700K, Video eVga NVIDIA GP106 [GeForce GTX 1060 3GB] vendor: driver: nvidia v: 460.91.03, OS: Linux Mint 20.1

Re: [tuto]7.4.4,opensuse 13.1,installation

Post by drf99 »

I would like to thank you for these excellent instructions. FAH7x was an issue for me until I found these instructions.
promeneur
Hardware configuration: openSUSE Tumbleweed, x86_64,Asrock B760M-HDV/M.2 D4, Intel Core i3-12100, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 730, NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030, Edup-Love EP-9651GS Wi-Fi Bluetooth, multicard reader USB 3.0 startech.com 35fcreadbu3, Epson XP 7100, Headset Bluetooth 3.0 Philips SHQ7300

Post by promeneur »

Pb :

when updating to 7.4.4 i encountered several pbs :

- for light , medium or full power 7.4.4 uses the maximum cpu power then 100 %of cpu power is consumed
- all is slower , launching and using apps
fah does not free any cpu power , does not switch to idle state when using any app
- temperature reaches 84 °C which is the limit of the cpu .

Solution :

i must use "cpulimit" software to limit to 25 % the cpu power consumption of fah to have enough cpu power for others apps and to decrease temperature to 48 - 55 °C .

the statement i use in boot.local file for my opensuse 13.1 x86_64 :

# reducing cpu temp and chassis fan noise , limit to 25 % fah cpu power consumption (2 cores then set --limit to 50)
cpulimit --exe FahCore_a3 --limit 50

you must adjust the --limit according to :
- "date of the begining of folding" + ETA < Expiration date
- use minimal cpu power

you must set --limit to x = y (%) x "quantity of allocated cores"
see the doc of cpulimit to understand why

perhaps it is another exe in your case . displays the list of services and search all services with name fah* to find yours

to install cpulimit
go to
http://software.opensuse.org/package/cp ... m=cpulimit

click on "opensuse 13.1"
click on "display unstable packets"
click on "one click install" in "utilities" line

put the statement
cpulimit --exe FahCore_a3 --limit 50
in
/etc/rc.d/boot.local

restart your pc

see the doc here
http://cpulimit.sourceforge.net
bruce

Post by bruce »

The traditional approach to this does not require "cpulimit"

Under normal circumstances, the client detects the number of threads supported by the CPU, reduces that number by at least one-per-GPU, and allocates the remainder of CPU-threads to the CPU client. If that's more than you choose to allocate, you can manually reconfigure to limit FahCore_a* to even fewer CPU-threads.

Example:
Suppose you have a Quad CPU and one supported GPU. The default configuration (also depending on the setting of <power v= XXXX/>) would be a single CPU slot running at CPU:3 so that FahCore_a* would never exceed 75% of your CPU resources. You can choose to reconfigure that slot for a different number of threads. In most cases, the change would take place immediately but certainly by the time of the next WU assignment.
promeneur

Post by promeneur »

1. the os is opensuse 13.1 x86_64 and cpu has 2 cores
2. nvidia gpu GT218 is not supported thus no gpu slot
3. i encountered the pb in 2 cases :

- i let fahcontrol creating the slot
fah chooses to use 1 thread thus uses FahCore_a4

- i force the number of threads to "2" thus fah uses FahCore_a3

in the 2 cases fah uses the maximum cpu power
in the 2 cases setting "power level" to "light" , medium or full has no effect : maximum cpu power is used thus 100 % is used
in the 2 cases fah does not decrease its use of cpu power when i launch an app and i use it , Vlc for example .
in the 2 cases i must limit fah using cpu

with previous version 7.3.6 and 32 bit Mandriva os i had same pb except that setting "power level" to light , medium or full was having an effect thus i had not to use cpulimit . i just set "power level" to "light" to limit cpu power consumption .
bruce

Post by bruce »

promeneur wrote:in the 2 cases fah does not decrease its use of cpu power when i launch an app and i use it , Vlc for example .
in the 2 cases i must limit fah using cpu
Running both CPUs at 100% is not inherently wrong, depending mostly on how and when the nucleus code switches tasks. If your system is optimized to briefly ignore task priority and minimize task switching, it will be more efficient for long-running job. If your system immediately interrupts low priority tasks to process higher priority tasks, it will be more responsive but less efficient. Sometimes the OS contains code that let you alter these choices. A lot depends on which dispatcher code is in you nucleus. Alternate dispatcher code may be available but finding it and installing it is best reserved for advanced users.

Thanks for your report, but like all similar issues, results may vary, depending on semi-hidden factors.
promeneur

Post by promeneur »

i understand both cpu at 100 % is not wrong .
what is wrong is 84 °C , low priority task are not interrupted and ineffective setting power level

for the 84 °C pb i assume this is not the fah pb
for the non interrupting low priority tasks i assume a compliancy pb with opensuse
for ineffective setting power level i assume a compliancy pb with opensuse

another info about the os setup : the os uses "on demand" and not "performance" profile

thanks
promeneur

Post by promeneur »

1. my last check of settings "power level" was when updating to 7.4.4 several months ago.

i check again setting "power level" . this works well .
setting to "light" => low temperature 72 °C instead of 82 °C , still much fan noise , use of 1 thread instead of 2 threads

using 1 thread => no wu to get
then
i must set "power level" to "full" to get a wu
and
i must use cpulimit to decrease temperature and fan noise.

2. i tried creating a cpu slot with "-1" and "full"

this work well .
this creates a slot with 2 threads and i get a wu .

no need to force to "2"