Installing Folding at home Application on Mint 17..

FAH provides a V7 client installer for Debian / Mint / Ubuntu / RedHat / CentOS / Fedora. Installation on other distros may or may not be easy but if you can offer help to others, they would appreciate it.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Spud1200

Installing Folding at home Application on Mint 17..

Post by Spud1200 »

Can any one tell me how to install the Folding application on Mint 17 Cinnamon please. What would I search for threw the repository using the start menu and the Software option.

If their is a Fully pledged package for Mint, is it an installation package or is it a simply an installation DLL series of file, or mabie a Command text interface?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Re: Installing Folding at home Application on Mint 17..

Post by Jesse_V »

I run Mint 17.1 on all my machines. It's very easy. 99% of the instructions for Ubuntu also work for all Ubuntu derivates such as Mint, so you can always Google "install X in ubuntu" and find solid instructions for Mint. To a lesser degree but still mostly true, instructions for Debian also carry over.

You're not going to F@h software in the Software Manager, since it's not entirely open-source and we don't have a PPA for it either. There are no DLLs either, that's a Windows term, but what we do have are binaries. The software has a GUI version and a command-line version, but most people use the GUI version. As always, your choice, but I would recommend the GUI unless you want expert-level control.

FAHClient: https://fah.stanford.edu/file-releases/ ... _amd64.deb
FAHControl: https://fah.stanford.edu/file-releases/ ... -1_all.deb
FAHViewer: https://fah.stanford.edu/file-releases/ ... _amd64.deb

Download and install these three .deb files in turn. Then use FAHControl to control the folding. You can find that in the Menu after installation.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: Installing Folding at home Application on Mint 17..

Post by 7im »

The Linux Install Guide on the fah web site is helpful.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.