the distro doesnt matter

FAH provides a V7 client installer for Debian / Mint / Ubuntu / RedHat / CentOS / Fedora. Installation on other distros may or may not be easy but if you can offer help to others, they would appreciate it.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Viper666

the distro doesnt matter

Post by Viper666 »

if you have the tarball, and a list of the depends, it will run on any version of linux, I have not seen a list of the depends which is normal for software on linux, but this project isnt normal. I even saw a thread where Ubuntu 16.04 was being blamed for the out dated unmaintained packages
ImageImage
Powered by AMD and Open SUSe 11.2 ----The New servers have nothing to do with fixing the stats problem !
davidcoton

Re: the distro doesnt matter

Post by davidcoton »

I don't think Ubuntu 16.04 was being blamed. The upshot was that an extra step (download of an old package) was required to install FAH on Ubuntu 16.04. Not Ubuntu's fault. Possibly a missing dependency in the FAH package? It has previously been found that FAH install works better with some Linux package managers than others.
bruce

Post by bruce »

davidcoton wrote:It has previously been found that FAH install works better with some Linux package managers than others.
True, but the critical issue here is that the FAH install has been tested with some Linux package managers on 6 distros -- which is why they're called "supported."
John_D

Post by John_D »

um, gdebi resolves the dep issue on Ubuntu--it downloads the deps automatically.
This issue was on Ubuntu 18.04-4, with a gnome DE. Trying to install with the software installer did not work. :shock: :!:
The 18.04-4 version failed to let fahclient run its first install config run.
John_D

Post by John_D »

ok, good, you folks are catching up it looks like. Problem is, gdebi will not install FAHControl on LMDE 4.0 (Debbie) because it says one of the deps packages-- I thiink it was called Python-Gnome2 -- was unavailable. Also, this distro uses Python 2. When someone gets time, can they to fix this?? the newer versions of Mint have same issue. And I am not going to give up all the work I spent working on LMDE 4 customizing it, sorry. I can use BOINC on LMDE 4.0.
ipkh

Post by ipkh »

Check out the gitlab discussion on fahcontrol. It has some steps to fix part of the issues. Otherwise as long as the fahclient is installed you don't actually need fahcontrol. Just track down the config file, enter you details and start the client.
John_D

Post by John_D »

Could not find discussion on gitlab. so, installed FAHClient. yes, it should be folding now.
ipkh

Post by ipkh »

John_D

Post by John_D »

Client is folding, can use FAHViewer to see progress, thanks for help.
v00d00
Hardware configuration: FX8320e (6 cores enabled) @ stock,
- 16GB DDR3,
- Zotac GTX 1050Ti @ Stock.
- Gigabyte GTX 970 @ Stock
Debian 9.

Running GPU since it came out, CPU since client version 3.
Folding since Folding began (~2000) and ran Genome@Home for a while too.
Ran Seti@Home prior to that.

Post by v00d00 »

Easier to use the web interface for stop/start and to see what its folding (if you can be bothered). Also dependencies for that are a web browser and net connection.

As for dependencies, im surprised no one has pointed out you can run ldd against the binaries to get an idea of whats missing on your system. Then search your package managers for those files to get the packages (or look on google).
Runaway1956

Post by Runaway1956 »

The dependency problem was entirely due to the package specifying a very specific version of libraries. Python, I think it was - in fact, I'm sure of it. If a package specifies python2, the package manager will barf after python has been updated to python3, and python2 is no longer available.

Better to just name python as a dependency, and let the package manager sort it out. FAHControl could be force installed, and it would run fine, until you updated, upgraded, or installed new packages, then the package manager barfed again, requiring you to uninstall FAHControl, perform you system maintenance, then reinstall FAHControl.
ipkh

Post by ipkh »

When python3 gets installed it takes over the symlink to python. Which is why explicitly calling python2 works.
Ubuntu moved from python-gnome2 to python-gtk2 when they moved to Gnome3 as the desktop. Luckily progress towards python3 conversion is going well.