CORE_STARTUP_ERROR

FAH provides a V7 client installer for Debian / Mint / Ubuntu / RedHat / CentOS / Fedora. Installation on other distros may or may not be easy but if you can offer help to others, they would appreciate it.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

ITwrx

CORE_STARTUP_ERROR

Post by ITwrx »

FAHCore fails to start when running grsec kernel on arch linux. no mprotect or other grsec errors are logged. FAHCore just fails to start and the below error is logged. rebooting into standard arch linux kernel allows FAHCore to run.

WARNING:WU01:FS02:FahCore returned: CORE_STARTUP_ERROR (99 = 0x63)
bruce

Re: CORE_STARTUP_ERROR

Post by bruce »

Technically, FAH is supported on Debian / Mint / Ubuntu / Redhat / Centos / Fedora. You'll notice that Arch is not in that list. That doesn't mean it either will or will not work, though. Only that there won't be an official response.

Most likely FAH has a prerequisite that's not being fulfilled.

I'll move this topic to the forum for "unsupported distros" and maybe somebody who knows Arch can give you a good answer.
ITwrx

Post by ITwrx »

thanks for your answer. I noticed that arch wasn't in the list but i'm reporting anyways just so fah knows about the issue. I'm not expecting a response. fah probably fails on those supoorted distros too, when one is running a grsec kernel. Though i don't know that any of those have an official grsec kernel, so it would be a custom kernel which probably isn't supported by fah eaither. Also, i doubt arch is not supported due to prerequisites missing in arch itself, but more likely operational considerations by fah. It's nice of fah to try and support so many distros. However if it were me, i would just list the prerequisites themselves(using upstream package names) and let users determine what distros have the support they need. Coddling certain distros' users (which is the standard practice, it seems) just causes more confusion overall, IMHO.
bruce

Post by bruce »

ITwrx wrote:However if it were me, i would just list the prerequisites themselves(using upstream package names) and let users determine what distros have the support they need.... just causes more confusion overall, IMHO.
You're not wrong, but from FAH's point of view:

1) A detailed list of requirements is more appealing to an expert and less helpful to a novice.
2) A detailed list of requirements is more likely to change, but even if it does, it may or may not alter the list of distros which are tested prior to release.