[Linux Mint] Unable to add GPU slot

FAH provides a V7 client installer for Debian / Mint / Ubuntu / RedHat / CentOS / Fedora. Installation on other distros may or may not be easy but if you can offer help to others, they would appreciate it.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

bobmanuk

[Linux Mint] Unable to add GPU slot

Post by bobmanuk »

Good Afternoon All,

I recently installed Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon on my Lenovo Ideapad 700 (i7 cpu with GTX 950m)

I have installed the client and control apps with no problem and it has automatically detected the CPU and started folding on it.

I have installed the Nvidia drivers for linux and it detects the GPU ok, lspci also detects the GPU correctly.

But as i try to add the GPU slot (everything is -1) it tells me "No GPUs Found"

trying to do FAHClient --lspci gives the following

Code: Select all

Lenovo /usr/bin $ ./FAHClient --lspci
VendorID:DeviceID:Vendor Name:Description
0x8086:0x1910:Intel Corporation:
0x8086:0x1901:Intel Corporation:
0x8086:0x191b:Intel Corporation:
0x8086:0xa12f:Intel Corporation:
0x8086:0xa131:Intel Corporation:
0x8086:0xa13a:Intel Corporation:
0x8086:0xa103:Intel Corporation:
0x8086:0xa114:Intel Corporation:
0x8086:0xa115:Intel Corporation:
0x8086:0xa127:Intel Corporation:
0x8086:0xa14e:Intel Corporation:
0x8086:0xa121:Intel Corporation:
0x8086:0xa170:Intel Corporation:
0x8086:0xa123:Intel Corporation:
0x10de:0x139a:NVIDIA Corporation:
0x8086:0x3166:Intel Corporation:
0x10ec:0x8168:Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.:
any thoughts on what i should do?

also, apologies if i posted this in the wrong place

Cheers,

Bob
ChristianVirtual

Re: [Linux Mint] Unable to add GPU slot

Post by ChristianVirtual »

What do you mean with -1 (for GPU)? OpenCL index ? You might could try to fresh install FAH and let the installer figure out the right config.

Is the nV the only GPU or is there also an iGPU involved (via CPU)?

look here if any differences to the way you installed viewtopic.php?f=80&t=27040
Make sure to blacklist other open source drivers
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

It's always important to install the GPU drivers prior to installing the FAH software. Until the drivers are installed the o/s knows very little about the GPU and it's OpenCL support thus the folding software doesn't receive the information it requires.

I would set the CPU slot to Finish and then re-install the folding software.

Also, the following link will take you to a very good guide for installing the Nvidia driver:

viewtopic.php?p=271382#p271382
bobmanuk

Post by bobmanuk »

ChristianVirtual wrote:What do you mean with -1 (for GPU)? OpenCL index ? You might could try to fresh install FAH and let the installer figure out the right config.

Is the nV the only GPU or is there also an iGPU involved (via CPU)?

look here if any differences to the way you installed viewtopic.php?f=80&t=27040
Make sure to blacklist other open source drivers
-1 is whats listed as a default when trying to add a slot in the fahcontrol app, from what i understand from windows -1 is what is entered to allow the control app to locate the GPU itself

screenshot

there is an integrated GPU, intel

its an "optimus" laptop where the intel display is used for basic display tasks and it should switch to the nvidia display when running more gpu intensive apps such as games, at least thats what happens in windows, on linux its more involved but not what this thread is about.

I will remove the fahclient and reinstall no problem, i will let you know once ive tried it.
bobmanuk

Post by bobmanuk »

bollix47 wrote:It's always important to install the GPU drivers prior to installing the FAH software. Until the drivers are installed the o/s knows very little about the GPU and it's OpenCL support thus the folding software doesn't receive the information it requires.

I would set the CPU slot to Finish and then re-install the folding software.

Also, the following link will take you to a very good guide for installing the Nvidia driver:

viewtopic.php?p=271382#p271382
I tried removing all FAH software and rebooting, i have just reinstalled everything again but it still wont detect the gpu.

I have the nvidia drivers already installed, if i do nvidia-smi from the terminal it gives me information about the gpu

EDIT

Also from the Nidia X server settings panel, it shows as NVIDIA (performance) is selected as the main GPU (the other option is INTEL (power saving mode))
rwh202
Hardware configuration: 8x GTX 1080
3x GTX 1080 Ti
3x GTX 1060
Various other bits and pieces

Post by rwh202 »

Could you please post the folding client log? Especially the top 100 lines or so. - that might shed some more light on things.
Also check that there isn't a GPU = false flag set in the advanced configuration.
bruce

Post by bruce »

GPUs.txt contains a line:
0x10de:0x139a:2:4:GM107 [GeForce GTX 950M]
which indicates that your GPU is supported provided you've properly installed/activated the drivers as supported by NVidia. Drivers from other sources may or may not support all the features needed by FAH.

If the drivers do NOT support the necessary features, the most common error message is the one you're reporting.

There is NO support for the Intel iGPU ... GPUs from NVidia or AMD/ATI are supported.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Optimus devices are known to be problematic when folding. I don't recall the details, but there are several threads here about the issue. Also don't know if they ever found a folding solution, but you can search the forum for the answer.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
bobmanuk

Post by bobmanuk »

I had to switch back to my windows SSD for a project I'm working on so for now I'll just stick to folding on windows, thanks for the help