Linux install guide

FAH provides a V7 client installer for Debian / Mint / Ubuntu / RedHat / CentOS / Fedora. Installation on other distros may or may not be easy but if you can offer help to others, they would appreciate it.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Re: Linux install guide

Postby ipkh » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:13 pm

I run 2 gpus per system.
I have no knowledge of multigpu overclocking on linux other than messing with cool bits. GreenwithEnvy doesn't do more than 1 gpu.
Ultimately overclocking and fan control on GPUs is not time or cost effective. Overclocking too much can cause WU failures and increasing clocks dramatically to make a quantifiable difference to ppd risks WU failure and increased power draw out of proportion to the benefit.
ipkh

Re: Linux install guide

Postby MeeLee » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:28 pm

ipkh wrote:I run 2 gpus per system.
I have no knowledge of multigpu overclocking on linux other than messing with cool bits. GreenwithEnvy doesn't do more than 1 gpu.
Ultimately overclocking and fan control on GPUs is not time or cost effective. Overclocking too much can cause WU failures and increasing clocks dramatically to make a quantifiable difference to ppd risks WU failure and increased power draw out of proportion to the benefit.

That's definitely not the case with Nvidia GPUs on Linux.
1- Overclocking doesn't affect power consumption.
2- Coolbits enable you to run more power efficient, dropping several tens of watts
3- Fan curve control to max, often boosts PPD by several 100k PPD vs running the stock fan curve.

There are ONLY benefits from correctly using Coolbits.
The only way you can break WUs is by using too high of an overclock.
All my RTX GPUs all do +100Mhz on GPU (most do +120Mhz), and +1400Mhz on the RAM.
And I haven't had a single bad WU in well over 6 months of running (as a result of a bad overclock).
Well, when I do push the curve, or the temps outside are past 90F, I occasionally hit a bad WU, but I'm already familiar with what is possible, and apply a much milder OC nowadays. (+115Mhz only triggers bad WUs on my system when the weather is unusually hot outside, like over 100F).
MeeLee

Previous

Return to Q&A about unsupported distros of Linux