Folding@Home on FreeBSD & stats

FAH provides a V7 client installer for Debian / Mint / Ubuntu / RedHat / CentOS / Fedora. Installation on other distros may or may not be easy but if you can offer help to others, they would appreciate it.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Mystical Kimchi

Folding@Home on FreeBSD & stats

Post by Mystical Kimchi »

I contacted whoever was running the Folding@Home Facebook page a few weeks ago asking if a native FreeBSD client would be possible. He suggested posting about it on the forums. I hope that the devs do consider making a native client. For the time being, however, someone did package the Linux version to make it available on FreeBSD, and I now have it running on my server. But even if a native client is not available for FreeBSD, I would ask the devs to make it possible to report the statistics for other operating systems like FreeBSD. Perhaps the client can be made to autodetect the operating system even running non-natively, or, if that's not possible because the Linux emulation makes the client think it's running on Linux instead of FreeBSD, make it possible for users to enter a configuration option to report a different operating system. That way the stats page can reflect how many people are using an operating system other than Win/Mac/Linux.
Drizzt321

Re: Folding@Home on FreeBSD & stats

Post by Drizzt321 »

I second this. My home server runs FreeBSD. I could go ahead and throw on a linux VM, but I'd prefer native, and thus native reporting of OS type.
gorby

Post by gorby »

Hello,

+1 for that kind of request :)

--
Gorby.
Drizzt321

Post by Drizzt321 »

I'll add another +1, since my home NAS is FreeBSD.

Or at a minimum allow reporting of host OS if running in a VM/container, that way you can make accurate decisions supported by data about supported client OSes.
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Welcome to the F@H Forum Drizzt321,

You can run F@H in a VM but there might be performance loss due to virtualization. There's an unofficial release by VMWare here: https://flings.vmware.com/vmware-applia ... lding-home
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
Hopfgeist
Hardware configuration: Dell T420, 2x Xeon E5-2470 v2, NetBSD 10, SunFire X2270 M2, 2x Xeon X5675, NetBSD 9; various other Linux/NetBSD PCs, Macs and virtual servers.

Post by Hopfgeist »

Mystical Kimchi wrote:[...] Perhaps the client can be made to autodetect the operating system even running non-natively, or, if that's not possible because the Linux emulation makes the client think it's running on Linux instead of FreeBSD, make it possible for users to enter a configuration option to report a different operating system. That way the stats page can reflect how many people are using an operating system other than Win/Mac/Linux.
I'll throw my support behind this request. I have managed to get the Linux client running on NetBSD in its Linux emulation. It performs well, downloads and uploads WUs, and statistics get reported fine (albeit as Linux).

Control connections do not work, neither http nor proprietary, it seems that some socket option syscall is not implemented properly in NetBSD's Linux emulation, but I can live with that. It beats running a Linux VM, both performance-wise and from a system-usability point of view. Besides the virtualisation overhead there is the problem that from the host operating system point of view, all guest operating system CPU time is considered "system" time and thus prioritised relatively high.

Cheers.
Dell PowerEdge T420: 2x Xeon E5-2470 v2
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

I have bad news.

What normally happens is that some 'deep pockets' partner funds development on their Platform if you notice these dates, they match when F@H became available on these platforms;

https://foldingathome.org/about/partners/

As such, one would look for a 'Deep Pockets' sponsor for FreeBSD, but I doubt you will find one.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends