Not Connecting

FAH provides a V7 client installer for Debian / Mint / Ubuntu / RedHat / CentOS / Fedora. Installation on other distros may or may not be easy but if you can offer help to others, they would appreciate it.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

JeSuisFlaneur

Not Connecting

Post by JeSuisFlaneur »

F@H Control never gets online. I can get the F@H Control to come onscreen, but it only says:

Client: local Connecting Inactive

This is a debian 10 buster OS.

I had to strip out the python-gnome2 and replace it with python-gtk2. In any event, the 'puter does not use a Gnome desktop.

I tried modifying /etc/fahclient/config.xml to include this computer's IP address. That didn't seem to get it online, either.

cd /var/lib/fahclient
mark@Lexington:/var/lib/fahclient$ ls
mark@Lexington:/var/lib/fahclient$
is empty!

product: AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor
vendor: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]
version: AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor
capacity: 3500MHz

Network Connection: Dialup? Cable? DSL? Via intranet? Any firewalls or proxy servers? Cable@30 meg/second

Linux What distro/version? Latest patches applied? Debian 10 with all patches

Overclocked?: What is overclocked? By how much? no

Stable?: Try a few stability testing programs if you think that FaH is crashing your computer. It may be that your PC is just unstable overall. AFAIK

Software: What version of the client are you using? Remember that Beta and prerelease versions can be unstable. What version of the core(s) are you using? f@h 7.5.1

WU details: Gromacs, DGromacs, SMP, GPU? What WU? Run/Clone/Gen. not applicable
ipkh

Re: Not Connecting

Post by ipkh »

You must first find and start the client. Until then there is nothing to connect to.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Didn't you get a script that starts FAHClient when the system boots up? If you had to tweak the dependencies you'll probably have to tweak the script. FAHClient should be running as a daemon as a newly created user called fahclient with access to some working files that belong to that user.

once it's actually running, you can test it with telnet 127.0.0.1 36330
JeSuisFlaneur

Post by JeSuisFlaneur »

ipkh wrote:You must first find and start the client. Until then there is nothing to connect to.
OK, what and where are the "client"? The FAHControl is in the menu, along with the other apps.
John_D

Post by John_D »

install fahclient-- that is the main workhorse for folding. The instructions say that fahcontrol is optional, and that it is not needed to fold. I had a problem installing the client and used a progam called gdebi to install it., then when I saw it was working I installed fahviewer. if you do not install fahclient first, fahcontrol will never connect with it or the FAH servers.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Where did you get FAHControl? The package for your OS can be found here: https://foldingathome.org/start-folding/ and it includes both FAHControl and FAHClient plus supporting files. Install it from the Windows user that will be logged on to run it, not from Administrator.
ipkh

Post by ipkh »

They are running linux and not Windows.
FAHClient will be located in /usr/bin
configuration files in /var/lib/fahclient/configs

This is on Xubuntu 18.04 but the basic file locations ought to be the same.
John_D

Post by John_D »

I am running a distrro that is part debian buster. Debian buster should have a program called gdebi. look in your software manager,it should list it. install it.
next I downloaded fahclient and when I got done loading it Firefox asked me what to do with the file-- I chose to open it with gdebi. gdebi loaded up and showed fahclient and I told it to to install it--- note that gdebi, fo me said that all deps were satisfiable. gdebi knows where to look for any of the dep archives in the .deb repos.

next, since gdebi complained that fahcontrrol deps were not available, I simply ran fahclient and fahviewer. I am a happy camper, cuz my computer folds fine.