Sneakernet options

Beta testing the new Windows client in uniprocessor mode.

Sneakernet options

Postby RayW » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:53 am

I read
Code: Select all
http://fahwiki.net/index.php/Sneakernetting
but that did not help me much for this issue.

I created a folder FAH6-W, copied only the fah6-win32-x86.exe and client.cfg files from the FAH6 folder, created another shortcut to use the FAH6-W folder and downloaded another WU. Stopped running that WU, saved it to a CD and transported to another computer that has no internet access and a locked registry (at least I think it is locked for admin purposes, most things are on these machines). FAH keeps trying to call home instead of just running the WU, and of course there is no access to home from there.

Any suggestions? Or just forget about using that set of machines? Oh, and both machines are running XP Pro.

RayW
RayW

Re: Sneakernet options

Postby 7im » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:38 am

Under the http://fahwiki.net/index.php/Sneakernetting#no-net_Windows.2C_has-net_Windows option, the 5th bullet point talks about how you need to set a registry setting in the computer without a net connection.

Since that registry is locked on that second computer, you will not be able to fold on it. The Windows client requires that registry entry to fold.

Since you already have permission to fold on that locked down system, it shouldn't be any trouble to get the registry unlocked as well. The WIKI shows how to transfer the setting from one PC to another. Let us know if you have any more questions.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby RayW » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:51 pm

Thanks, have permission to run the program, just not to change "security" settings for Microsoft's insecure systems (and includes the mess called a registry). Since the programs we write do not use the registry, we can pretty much do what we want outside of that. Wonder why a program like FAH would have to use the registry? Since it does not look like it needs access to other programs and resources, why can't it use a true local storage for any common values?
RayW

Postby 7im » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:31 pm

I think it may have been to prevent people from running the fah software on systems that were locked down... systems on which they often didn't have permission to use. You sound like the exception in this case. ;) The linux client doesn't do this, so we know it is possible. I don't work for the project, so I couldn't say for sure why they do it/still do it. Sorry, I don't know of any options for you at the moment. Someone else might know.

If you show them the very simple registry change needed, they'll likely go for it. The setting is only an ID number, and does not affect anything else.
7im

Return to Windows Uniprocessor client v6.0