Windows 6.10 beta3 Information

Beta testing the new Windows client in uniprocessor mode.

Windows 6.10 beta3 Information

Postby Beberg » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:56 pm

6.10 beta 2-3 updates are in the next posts down.

6.10 beta 1:
The new 6.10 beta 1 clients have an installer for the systray/graphical client. This is intended to address the "almost-all" Windows users who use their box as a single user and leave themselves logged in when the machine is on. The screensaver and such will all function normally.

- Sits in the systray when running.
- It gets put in the Startup folder, so it runs at login.
- The usual things in the Programs menu. Control panel, Add/Remove, etc.
- Should work just fine in Vista too (but I wouldn't know).

Setup
- Unzip the systray client of your choice.
- Click on the .msi file, and follow the prompts.
- The client will run (only) as the user you install it as.
- Run Folding@home from the Start/Programs... menu or reboot, whichever is easier. As soon as I figure out how to make it launch itself at the end, I'll remove this step.

Can I install both the CPU and GPU systray clients?
Yes, they should coexist, but you need one free CPU to handle the GPU client (for now). If you want to run both consoles, you need the -local flag.

What about my old clients?
Let it finish the WU it's doing then stop it, but you don't have to remove it or anything else - just in case the beta isn't perfect.

So all the things I expect like "install, repair, remove" now work?
Yes, neat isn't it! And if you upgrade it later, or remove it then reinstall, your work queue and other files remain nice and safe.

Where are the work files and config?
There is a link in the Programs folder... labeled "expert only" for a reason.

How dare you make it so simple for almost everyone, bring back the pain and suffering!!!
The CPU and GPU console clients are still available, enjoy the pain. For suffering try the Windows SMP client.

Added Beta3:

This new client is a SysTray client, and follows a standardized Windows installation procedure. This new client type is similar in nature to the previous GUI style client, but with notable changes, and a separate visualizations module (to come later).

The client executable can be installed to any directory you select. The default location for the CPU client is
C:\Program Files\Folding@home\Folding@home-x86\.
The remaining data files are installed to
C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\Folding@home-x86\.

The client executable can be installed to any directory you select. The default location for the GPU client is
C:\Program Files\Folding@home\Folding@home-gpu\.
The remaining data files are installed to
C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\Folding@home-gpu\.

Note: The shortcut in the Startup folder that launches the FAH client points to these specific file locations in the Target: and Start In: fields. That shortcut cannot be edited to add client switches. To add a client switch, create a new shortcut with the correct Target: and Start In: fields, and then add the switch to the end of the Target: field. Replace the shortcut in the Startup folder if desired. Please take care if making a new shortcut to start the FAH client. Not matching the client file locations might cause work to be lost.
Beberg
Pande Group Member

Re: Windows 6.10 beta1 Information

Postby Beberg » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:37 am

6.10 beta 2:
• Passkey is now in the preferences, and rearrangement of preferences settings. (OS X)
• Now possible to enter passkey in console client. (Win32)
• Many updates to client, that should not change behaviors. (all)
• Updated ReadMe with the right expire dates. (OS X)
• Viewer should work. (OS X)
• Added screensaver. (OS X)
Beberg
Pande Group Member

Re: Windows 6.10 beta1 Information

Postby Beberg » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:45 am

6.10 beta 3:
• Fixed Windows install paths no longer have spaces. (Win32)
• Fixed –gpu flag so that the GPU detection is looking at that GPU as well. (Win32)
• GPU clients default to machineid=2, and cpu to machineid=1. (Win32)

For those that ran the beta 1 or beta 2, the new working directories do not have spaces in them. This means the work unit you are running now, will be in the one WITH spaces, and you should move it over after you uninstall beta 1/2 and install beta 3.

i.e. what was in "C:\Documents and Settings\...\Application Data\Folding@home - x86"
needs to be manually put in "C:\Documents and Settings\...\Application Data\Folding@home-x86"
Beberg
Pande Group Member

Return to Windows Uniprocessor client v6.0