can i use Chrome for Cpu & Gpu folding while browser folding

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

can i use Chrome for Cpu & Gpu folding while browser folding

Postby Miller855 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:26 pm

last night i downloaded the windows Cpu and Gpu client but it ran using Internet explorer, while i was also folding using the chrome App on the windows computer.
today i tried to use chrome for both and it kept blinking every few seconds so i could not enter any information.
This is a family computer, i do not want to tie up 2 of the 3 browsers. its not fair to the rest of the family.

Can this be fixed? my points went way up because of the Cpu & Gpu work units. I only ran 1 wu each for the Cpu & Gpu at full power, it took a couple hours.
today i want to run the Cpu wu's & Gpu wu's at low power but 24 / 7 alongside my Chrome folding.

thanks for any help you can give
Miller855
iMac 2.93 Ghz, C2D 4Gb DDR3 Ram, OSX 10.6.3, Built in NVidia GeForce GT 120
iMac 2.0 Ghz, C2D 2Gb DDR2 Ram, OSX 10.6.3, Built in ATI Raedon HD 2400
120 Gig PS3, 80 Gig PS3
Miller855

Re: can i use Chrome for Cpu & Gpu folding while browser fol

Postby bruce » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:20 pm

The Chrome client does, in fact, tie up the Chrome browser. The client doesn't really require an installation as it temporarily runs in the browser. (It MUST use Chrome, not Internet Explorer.) It was designed mainly for those who wish to fold for brief periods of time such as on a shared computer at the Library.

The standard client requires an installation and is aimed at those who which to run for extended periods of time. It does, in fact, run in the background. By default, it does start Control client in your default browser, but it will continue to fold even if you close the program you see in your defaulot browser. Later, if you wish to see what FAH is doing, you can (re-)open either of the control programs supplied during client installation. By default, his client will use whatever resources your computer can provide -- i.e.- BOTH ytour CPU and GPU. Running the Chrome client concurrently is not recommended.
bruce

Postby Miller855 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:57 am

Thank you,
i am just trying to max out my help to my team
at 10 k to 13 k a day i am third in points per day, but 5th overall
the best i can hope for is 4th overall, i am gaining on #2 overall by 10k a day but he is 220 million ahead of me i would need several Decades to catch him
i turned 62 last august, that's what the '855' is for.

Miller855
Miller855

Postby JimboPalmer » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:44 am

As another 62 year old, Points as a measure of how much science you are doing is a good thing, but obsessing over beating other folders is not helping cure anything.

Be happy you are helping!
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
JimboPalmer

Postby Miller855 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:14 am

If i can do 20k a day i am helping twice as much as if i only do 10k.
the bragging rights are just the icing on the cake
Miller855

Return to NaCl client (Chrome);