better performance in Chrome than desktop client

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: better performance in Chrome than desktop client

Postby doune » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:00 pm

Thanks!

I think it's all working as expected now.

The only remaining issue is on my end. The Chrome client downloads WUs with no issue. The desktop client can't download anything unless I hop on my personal VPN. I'm a little curious about the difference between the two download methods but it's ultimately irrelevant as the cause of the problem is too much network security and I can sort that out on my own. I'm assuming port 10002 is blocked and the NaCl client uses a different port? Ah well, I'll get it fixed one way or another.
doune

Postby bruce » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:36 pm

Yep. Too much network security. Start by temporarily disabling various security features and see which one changes things.

FAHClient attempts to download from port 8080 and if it fails, it reverts to port 80. It also uses various ports through the loopback adapter on 127.0.0.1 but that's not really a security issue.
bruce

Postby Joe_H » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:41 pm

The differences between the downloads in Chrome for the NaCl client and the desktop client are as follows"

FAHClient downloads WU's using http over either port 8080 or port 80. It is not a "known browser" by firewall or anti-malware applications.

The NaCl client downloads WU's in a "known browser", Chrome.

So if firewalls or anti-malware apps are involved, exceptions will need to be put in place for FAHCkient to download and upload using http over ports 8080 and 80. As best as I recall, no other ports are used for communicating with the folding servers. Internally FAHClient communicates over port 36330 on the local address 127.0.0.1 with FAHControl and the folding core processes

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Joe_H
Site Admin

Previous

Return to NaCl client (Chrome);