Stuck at 'downloading client'

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Stuck at 'downloading client'

Postby ProDigit » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:00 am

I've noticed a lot that one of my PCs is getting stuck between WUs, on the page 'downloading client, if this is your first time, it might take a while' (or something).
Almost like it has trouble getting a new WU.
In the past I thought it had to do with my passkey, so I gave each PC a different name, and no passkey; but the same team.
While the front 2 PCs are working mostly fine (hang about once or twice a day), the back PC hangs like every other hour or so. That's every 4 to 7 WUs.

The back office PC is an older model, running Windows 7 home 64 bit, with a 32 bit version of Google Chrome version 71.0.3578.98 installed.

The only way it differs from the front PCs, is that it's an older model Intel G645 CPU and slower 1066Mhz ram, vs a Core I5 with 1333Mhz RAM on the front PCs.
Operating system, browser, RAM size, is all identical.

I just don't understand how the NaCl ends up hanging so often on the slower PC, and mostly on that one?
ProDigit

Re: Stuck at 'downloading client'

Postby bruce » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:29 am

NaCl was never designed to use multiple clients on the same connection. It works fine if you're on a shared computer at a hotel or library. If you want to run multiple clients, you need to install FAHClient which was designed for multiple slots on one computer and/or multiple clients on various computers.

(I'm assuming your "slower PC" is not the only NaCl client in your home.)
bruce

Postby ProDigit » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:31 am

Ow, no, they're 3 different computers, using different names, with no passkey.
They're all on the same router though, but that should not matter, as they all have their own unique IP.

If this were the case that they're not meant to be run from 1 IP, my front 2 computers would 'hang' more often. But it's mostly the back pc that's not continuing to load a new WU.
The front two do it very occasionally, but mostly get their WUs just fine.
Only if I leave them running for 24 hours or so, do they end up stuck.
ProDigit

Postby bruce » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:41 am

The name/team/passkey used does not distinguish one client from another.

When FAHClient is installed, a unique identifier is assigned to it and the server tracks which PRCG has been assigned to that specific client. (Called the UserID in server terminology.) NaCl apparently uses the IP address to identify the specific client. The initial design of NaCl did not consider multiple clients connected through the same router. You need to install FAHClient on each machine (except maybe one NaCl client).

I'm not certain that the IP address is used, but if your ISP supports multiple IP addresses, you can try connecting one NaCl client to each IP address and see what happens.)
bruce

Postby ProDigit » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:20 am

That's problematic. I can't do that.
If they only could add the remote port to the IP configuration, all my PCs are running a different remote port.
ProDigit

Postby bruce » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:36 am

When you install FAHClient, one of the first thing it obtains from the server is it's unique UserID.

Occasionally someone will clone their OS with FAHClient already installed. This causes two clients to have the same UserID and causes several types of problems. The FAH policy insists that a fresh client ALWAYS be installed on each computer. That's meaningless for NaCl.
bruce

Postby ProDigit » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:24 am

NaCl is running on all my clients.
I am not allowed to install the desktop clients on my work PCs.
If I could, I would.
ProDigit

Postby knopflerbruce » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:05 am

You're facing the same issues I'm facing. In the end, running NaCl is a pain in the ass if you're doing anything more than the typical "granny laptop"-folding. That said, I do not know if there are any other options for browser based folding, so in your case it might be better than not contributing at all. Personally, I'll probably switch to Boinc for my CPUs when I'm done chasing other members on the WU ranking. It's simply not worth it to remote log in to 15 PCs once per day just to check if you have to press F5 a couple of times because processing power is a bad thing... If only NaCl was as sturdy as the GPU client.
knopflerbruce

Return to NaCl client (Chrome);