Get a 5% speed boost for NaCl by minimizing or blocking AD!

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Get a 5% speed boost for NaCl by minimizing or blocking AD!

Postby ProDigit » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:47 am

I found, on my Core i5 system, I get a 5% speed boost (from 9800 PPD to 10.400 PPD), by just blocking the rotating green arrow with an ad blocker program.
If your browser is displaying the page that's folding, just blocking that green arrow, improves performance.
You can still see progress through the progress bar.
The performance gains will be less on more powerful systems, and more on slower and older systems.
Most of the time, in a library for instance, you can install adblockers on Chrome, even if you don't have Admin privileges.

I'm not sure which one is faster,
Minimizing the Chrome browser, when running NaCl (on a desktop that's not used), or keeping the browser fully visible with green rotating arrow blocked.

In most windows systems, keeping the browser in focus, sends most resources to it; while minimizing it will make it run in the background.
On Xeon and server systems, windows is configured to divide resources to all background activity, so there minimizing might make more sense.

I was kind of surprised that blocking the green arrow, increased PPDs by so much!
ProDigit

Re: Get a 5% speed boost for NaCl by minimizing or blocking

Postby ProDigit » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:15 am

I've noticed when extension 'Adguard Adblocker' is used, it does the blocking without problems, but when using the extension 'Adblock', the page pauses after each run.

It would be interesting to see a reworked NaCl page, a lite version, for those who use it often.
No webpage graphics, no rotating arrow, no progress bar, no project information, or even hyperlinks.
And the only interactive part on the page will be a percentage counter, and a text field displaying when to UL or DL a new work unit.
Also, if possible, another 'folding power' option of 'extreme', where (if possible), Nacl64.exe is given above normal thread priority.

Would cut on resources, and make folding on older machines more efficient.

The only reason why there's even a need for letting people know if there's a WU being uploaded or downloaded, is because that's where the NaCl often gets stuck.
ProDigit

Postby jcoffland » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:14 am

Cauldron Development LLC
http://cauldrondevelopment.com/
jcoffland
Pande Group Member

Postby ProDigit » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:05 am

Great, thanks!

How do I know if it folds with my username?

The arrow is still there, but easy to block.
Can they program just a green, orange, red color, that refreshes like every 5 seconds instead?
ProDigit

Postby Miszkurka2000 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:28 pm

Why this Micro Nacl not working on Android?
What with Sony app?
Miszkurka2000

Postby Joe_H » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:06 pm

Miszkurka2000 wrote:Why this Micro Nacl not working on Android?
What with Sony app?

Because it is a NaCl app, not PNaCl. A NaCl app has to be coded and compiled for each target hardware platform, PNaCl is compiled to an intermediate .pexe that when run is converted on the fly into the native instructions needed for the hardware - x86, ARM, or whatever. Google has already ended support for PNaCl.

As for the Sony app, Sony ended their support last year or late 2017. There was an announcement then. They might release an updated app based on the open source code from Sony, but there are other software development ahead of this in the queue.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Joe_H
Site Admin

Postby ProDigit » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:06 am

Even if support has ended, wouldn't the old software still work?
Just out of curiosity, because I know that fah prefers to spend more energy on developing software for more powerful systems
ProDigit

Postby ProDigit » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:30 am

Anyway,
Bumping this post,
Is there any intention on redesigning the NaCl webpage, by finding an alternative for the rotating arrow?
If you have a netbook, the difference is really noticeable, when removing it, vs running it while FAH is running.
It's only a small patch to either remove it, or change it with something that uses less resources than the rotating arrow.
ProDigit

Return to NaCl client (Chrome);