NaCl end of life announcement!

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

NaCl end of life announcement!

Postby MeeLee » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:59 am

I guess it's official!
Apparently, NaCl's end is near.

I sent Google a message like 3 days ago about the incorrect operation of NaCl. Not sure if this was what triggered it?
Anyway,

I received this notification today:
MeeLee

Re: NaCl end of life announcement!

Postby artoar_11 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:27 am

I see the same notice (after reloading twice). It was convenient for me to use it on the office machine :o :(
artoar_11

Postby MeeLee » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:51 am

Yes, I'll miss that as well.
However, lately my quad core barely got 2k PPD, and 6 core barely got 3 to 4k PPD.
With the introduction to RTX cards breaching 1M PPD, most of this is all past now.
RTX cards brought in a new era of deep learning.

That, as well as the bitcoin market. Now deep learning and mining products are accessible very cheap.
Like, aside from faster graphics cards, there are now better motherboards allowing more GPU sockets per board.
Also more CPU cores (ranging from 6 to 16, up from 2 to 4 just 3 years ago), means more cards can run simultaneously.
Third, mining or deep learning racks, or rigs like this one, now cost next to nothing.
MeeLee

Postby toTOW » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:22 pm

I know I shouldn't, but I want to say : finally ! :roll:
Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.

FAH-Addict : latest news, tests and reviews about Folding@Home project.

toTOW
Site Moderator

Postby Theodore » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:32 am

If anything, my chrome browser seems to be running nacl WUs, without nacl add on. So who knows?
Theodore

Postby MeeLee » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:53 pm

It sucks that there is no option available for those who could run CPU WUs, on their work computer (without admin privileges) anymore.
I don't suppose there's a FAH Client that runs from an exe file, without installation?
MeeLee

Postby toTOW » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:22 pm

I think those two things lacks on current FAHClient and would efficiently replace NaCl :
- stand alone client which stores everything locally, with no need of installation and specific privileges.
- support of proxies in such client.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Postby bruce » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:49 am

Somebody, somewhere, has decided that your permissions should be limited -- either in the administrative structure of your University or your employer. Find out who is responsible for your proxy and who they report to. They MIGHT be willing to grant an exception for them to install FAHClient on your machine. (I'm not particularly hopeful.)

There are a number of very old discussion on this forum. You can, of course, be fired/expelled for violating company/university policy -- and I'm not aware of the details of such policies but AFAIK NaCl hasn't been identified as a violation. Read FAH's EULA which does restrict FAH to running on your own equipment -- as an intentional protection of you. Some companies have become corporate sponsors of FAH's scientific research.
bruce

Postby foldy » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:39 pm

Maybe it is an option to rewrite the FAH NaCl code to webassembly. Webassembly is the successor of NaCl and it will run in any browser like Chrome, Edge or Firefox and WebKit for MacOS too or even on mobile devices or gaming consoles. I don't know if the FAH GPU core could also be recompiled from OpenCL to webassembly.
foldy

Postby oloung1 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:52 pm

foldy wrote:Maybe it is an option to rewrite the FAH NaCl code to webassembly. Webassembly is the successor of NaCl and it will run in any browser like Chrome, Edge or Firefox and WebKit for MacOS too or even on mobile devices or gaming consoles.

this would be nice, as i don't use windows outside of work and still want to passively contribute.
oloung1

Postby bruce » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:20 am

At the present time, NaCl seems to be still supported by Chrome so there's no point it re-writieng it into WebAssemply.

In my mind, the critical question is associated with the upgrade of the FAH infrastructure upgrades that will require extra effort to continue to support the NaCl client. I don't have any information about that extra effort, but is suspect that the same extra effort would be required to support a webassembly client.
bruce

Postby MeeLee » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:02 am

It's past the deadline, (21st) and still going strong.
The links are removed from the main site, but nacl.foldingahome.org is still working.
The main issue is probably reducing server overhead.
I can imagine it takes more server workload to send out Nacl packages than WUs.
MeeLee

Postby bruce » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:53 pm

NaCl WUs are significantly shorter than regular WUs. That means for the same amount of work, the servers do need to send/receive a larger quantity of connections. Other than that, the overhead is pretty much the same except for the larger number of entries in the points database.
bruce

Postby Theodore » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:39 am

We'll, nacl still seems to be running fine...
I wonder what's up?
Theodore

Postby bruce » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:58 pm

As was already stated, there are upcoming changes to FAH's infrastructure that will cause the non-support of NaCl (plus Google has announced discontinuing support on Chrome).
bruce

Next

Return to NaCl client (Chrome);