F@HControl

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

F@HControl

Postby Penfold » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:26 am

Up until yesterday I had F@HControl on my iMac set so I could take a peek, wirelessly, to see how things were with F@HClient on another machine running Ubuntu. As of today I can't get a connection. In the main window of F@HControl, on the iMac, 'Connecting' with an orange overlay is all I get.
I checked the 'Configure' details and they're as I remember them. I re-installed F@HControl (only - no Client or Viewer) on the iMac. Still no joy.

The one thing I did do successfully yesterday, as I had thought, was set up a new AirPort Extreme Base Station. All the connections to it are as on the previous one. The Ubuntu machine is directly connected via ethernet cable. Our two iMacs work exactly as before with wireless connections. Even the printer works wirelessly as before

I'm stumped. Can anyone suggest a solution?

iMac: MacOS High Sierra 10.13.2
Ubuntu machine: Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS; F@H v7.4.4

Ubuntu 16.04.1
F@H v 7.4.4
Penfold

Re: F@HControl

Postby calxalot » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:10 am

Make sure IPv4 networking is enabled everywhere?
calxalot

Postby Penfold » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:21 am

Hi. On this iMac, (with the F@HControl that is dormant) in Network Prefs, under the TCP/IP tab, there is IPv4 Address 192.xxx.x.xx
Penfold

Postby Penfold » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:47 pm

I'm not used to digging around on the Ubuntu machine, but looking in 'Network Connection' there is the only the one that exists, called 'Wired connection 1' representing the ethernet cable connection directly to the AirPort Extreme Base Station (same setup as with the previous AEBS).

Clicking on 'Wired connection 1' makes options available, namely buttons for 'Add', 'Edit' and 'Delete'. Clicking on 'Edit', a new window opens with tabs. Under the 'IPv4 Settings' tab, it says 'Method:' and from a drop down menu alongside, the option 'Automatic (DHCP)' is the one that's active.

Other options in that drop down menu are:
'Automatic (DHCP) addresses only'
'Manual'
'Link-Local Only'
'Shared to other computers'
'Disabled'

At this point I wouldn't go any further, being distinctly non-tech.
Penfold

Postby parkut » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:07 pm

At issue is FAHControl running on your iMac is unable to connect to FAHclient on Ubuntu machine. Can you ping the Ubuntu from iMac? Perhaps the Ubuntu machine received a new DHCP ip address from the new AirPort Extreme ?
parkut

Postby Penfold » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:09 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try it - but can you describe how I go about it please?
Penfold

Postby Penfold » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:44 pm

OK, that was a bit lazy of me. The current version of macOS doesn't have a Network Utility app any more. Using Terminal I got it to work. Stopped it after 7 pings: 7 sent, 7 received.
Penfold

Postby SteveWillis » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:50 pm

I just use nomachine from nomachine.com to look at my other rigs. Easy to set up and then it's just like you are directly on the remote machines. I never wanted to get in to the FAH control remote function and didn't need to. LOL I should buy stock.
My thanks to my very indulgent wife
folding as DarthMouse_ALL_1GD5nCZbh7gNo1SESPLT24xEd2Jsu4rTP9

3 AMD Linux rigs 3, 4, and 5 GPUs 7 X GTX 1080, 5 X GTX 1080 TI
SteveWillis

Postby Joe_H » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:14 pm

Penfold wrote:OK, that was a bit lazy of me. The current version of macOS doesn't have a Network Utility app any more. Using Terminal I got it to work. Stopped it after 7 pings: 7 sent, 7 received.

Network Utility is still there, just hidden away a bit. Using Spotlight you can find and open it.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Joe_H
Site Admin

Postby Penfold » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:30 pm

Joe_H wrote:Network Utility is still there, just hidden away a bit. Using Spotlight you can find and open it.

Couldn't find it in Utilities and so I thought … well you know what Thought thought.
:lol:
Thanks Joe!
I wonder why they poked it away in there? i.e. /System/Library/CoreServices/Applications/
Penfold

Postby bruce » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:54 pm

I'm not an Apple guy, but I assume somewhere you can find 'telnet'

When ddrying to diagnose network issues, I eventually try 'telnet (hostname or IP) 36330'

Also, when I configure Remote Clients for FAHControl, I use the hostname of the remote machine rather than an IP address whenever the remote machine is using DHCP.
bruce

Postby Penfold » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:04 pm

I've used the hostname (or what I assume is the hostname) of the Ubuntu machine when I configured FAHControl on the iMac previously. It's "rod-XXXXX-XXX-XX.local". I did try the IP address,192.168 etc. earlier to no avail so I've changed back to the hostname.

I've seen the word telnet before but have to own up to not having a clue about it or using it. How/where would I use it do you think?

I have seen the orange overlaying 'Connecting' briefly flash yellow on a couple of occasions today - a fraction of a second, before changing back to orange.
Penfold

Postby bruce » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:17 pm

Telnet is a classic utility that used to be in every OS. Fundamentally it opens a text window on a remote machine.

There have been a lot of enhanced versions put out in various forms, but the thing I like about it is you can specify the remote host and port number and it either connects or it gives understandable messages when it doesn't. There's a built-in version of it inside FAHControl which is used to connect to remote hosts on port 36330. Finding the cause of a persistent "connecting" can be a challenge unless you resort to basic steps.
bruce

Postby Penfold » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:29 pm

When you say
I eventually try 'telnet (hostname or IP) 36330'

how do you try that? What are the steps you use? Where do you key that command/message?

I'm definitely out of my depth here. :oops:
Penfold

Postby Joe_H » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:11 am

The telnet command is available in OS X's Terminal app under Utilities. Most other Unix/Linux command line utilities are also available there.

In this case of telnet'ing into the client, you would first open the Terminal app. Then you could enter the command 'telnet 127.0.0.1 36330' (without the quotes) at the command line prompt to connect with FAHClient on the local Mac. Substitute the IP address or resolvable hostname for 127.0.0.1 to connect to another systems FAHclient.

(Edit: corrected the spell checker's change of telnet to talent)
Joe_H
Site Admin

Next

Return to V7.4.4 Public Release Windows/Linux/MacOS X