Feedback For FAHControl/FAHViewer Articles

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Feedback For FAHControl/FAHViewer Articles

Postby PantherX » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:39 am

Please note the following:
FAHControl Article
FAHViewer Article

If you have any questions/comments/suggestions, feel free to post them in this thread. If necessary, I may post in this thread when I update the article.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
PantherX
Site Moderator

Re: Feedback For FAHControl/FAHViewer Articles

Postby Jesse_V » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:37 am

All right. Well as you are aware I was trying to figure out how to pause one slot. I did a browser find search for "pause" but couldn't find anything that wasn't connected to "all slots". I've figured it out, but thanks for pointing me to that screenshot. I had read the information but didn't see the tiny screenshot. I had though run across this:

You have the following options:
Fold -> Will cause all slots to start folding.
Pause -> Will pause all slots.
Finish -> Will instruct all slots to finish the current WU, upload the processed WU (wuresult) and enter pause state.

Which seems wrong as it pauses just one slot, so it should be changed to the singular, like this:

You have the following options:
Fold -> Will cause that slot to start folding.
Pause -> Will pause that slot.
Finish -> Will instruct that slot to finish the current WU, upload the processed WU (wuresult) and enter pause state.

Will this guide and documentation get redone when v7 goes super public? I'd like to see things more in sentence form. Seems very note-y to me, although at the moment there is plenty of information and is for the most part sufficient for us testers. Thanks.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Postby codysluder » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:57 am

There are two cases. At the top of the screen, there are big buttons. They cause all slots to make the designated change (provided that makes sense).

Much further down the page, it says You can right click any slot under Folding Slot and a menu will appear: and below that, all three should ...that slot... as you suggest.
codysluder

Postby PantherX » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:07 am

Thanks for catching that mistake, I have fixed it.

Jesse_V wrote:...Will this guide and documentation get redone when v7 goes super public? I'd like to see things more in sentence form. Seems very note-y to me, although at the moment there is plenty of information and is for the most part sufficient for us testers. Thanks.
I may work on the Guide once I have some free time but for the most part, it will be more or less the same. I realize that its "note-y" and the reason for this is because this was written as a supporting document, i.e. if the user wants more information after they have gone through the Installation Guide, then this would be a "manual" for FAHControl. If you would like some parts to be elaborated, you can inform me and I will go through them once I am free.
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby yourpcguy » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:23 am

installed v7 on my win7 box.
completely uneventful.
lol
wondered why the folding slots are labeled 0,1 and the work queue are labeled 1,2?
yourpcguy

Postby Zagen30 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:57 am

Slot numbers are static while queue numbers are based on the lowest available number. Let's say you've got an SMP and GPU slot numbered 0 and 1, respectively, and the first SMP WU gets assigned queue number 0 while the first GPU WU gets queue number 1. v7 introduced the ability to download new WUs shortly before the current ones finished so there's no downtime while waiting for an upload to go through. If the SMP unit finishes first, the slot will grab a new WU shortly before it's done; this new one will get assigned queue number 2 since 0 and 1 are still in use. If the GPU finishes next, the second GPU WU will get queue number 0 since it's the lowest available number. They'll keep cycling because of the early download feature.
Zagen30

Postby yourpcguy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:36 am

oic ya i kinda was thinking that.
i read about ppl losing folding time cus servers are down etc.
yourpcguy

Postby PantherX » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:47 pm

All images have been updated to V7.1.43 and majority of text is also inline with V7.1.43. There might be few mistakes here and there and I plan to finalize it within this week. I have reduced the page size from 3.9MB to 2.7MB and might have to do more tweaking to ensure that it loads fast on slow connections.
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby PantherX » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:51 pm

I have updated both articles to V7.1.43
https://fah-web.stanford.edu/projects/F ... FahControl
https://fah-web.stanford.edu/projects/F ... /FahViewer

Please post here if you spot any mistakes or have any suggestions :)

EDIT -> I have managed to reduce the page size from 2.9MB to 906.2KB for the FAHControl one so it should load much faster on slower connections.
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby PantherX » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:23 am

FAHControl has been updated to V7.1.52 (sorry for the delay)

For this update, I have added screenshots from Windows and Linux (where relevant). Unfortunately, I don't have access to OSX hence can't get any screenshots for now.

Feedback welcomed :)
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby blaze84 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:32 pm

Well done! I'd like to give some hints nonetheless.

Quit on window close -> Exiting FAHControl will cause it to minimize to the notification area.

I guess it is the other way round. Enabling this option will not cause FAHControl to minimize but to quit. This is clearly evident.

Command -> FAHControl can give instructions on how the FAHClient will start the slots.

What are these commands (flags)? Why do you left them out? The FAHViewer section explains its own flags really nicely.
blaze84

Postby 7im » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:00 pm

Code: Select all

Usage: fahclient [[--config] <filename>] [OPTIONS]...
Command line options:
  --config                <string=config.xml>     Set configuration file.
  --configure                                     Create a basic configuration file, then exit.
  --dump                  <string>                Dump either 'all' or a specific work unit queue
                                                  ID, then exit.
  --enum                  [string]                Either list all available enumerations or the
                                                  members of an enumeration and exit.
  --finish                                        Finish all current work units, send the results,
                                                  then exit.
  --help                  [string]                Print help screen or help on a particular option
                                                  and exit.
  --info                                          Print application and system information and exit.
  --install-service                               Install the application as a Win32 service then
                                                  exit.
  --license                                       License information and exit.
  --print                                         Print configuration and exit.
  --queue-info                                    Print work unit queue then exit.
  --send                                          Send either all finished work units, then exit.
  --start-service                                 Start Win32 service then exit.
  --stop-service                                  Stop Win32 service then exit.
  --uninstall-service                             Uninstall the application as a Win32 service then
                                                  exit.
  -v                                              Increase verbosity level.
  -v                                              Increase verbosity level.

Above are the command line options for FAHClient. There is also a large list of configuration options as well, but those are better left to the FAHControl guide section on slot configs.

Looks like we might be missing a + in there for verbosity... ;)
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby JJanner2012 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:36 pm

Upon first running after installation of 7.1.52 on fresh install of Windows 8 Enterprise RTM, received pop-up that program could not continue GPU folding (SMP was fine). Helpful suggestion on this forum was to do a driver install for my GPU. That did the trick! So recommend adding to guide, for Windows 8 users, to be sure to download and install current GPU drivers before installing FAH. It seems that fresh Windows 8 installs use basic rather than manufacturer drivers.
JJanner2012

Postby Assimilator1 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:30 am

Bit out of date this guide now, latest version (7.3.6 currently) doesn't have a drop down menu for choosing the mode level, there's no pause or finish button (you have to do it by right clicking the slot) & theirs no right clicking of the sys tray icon, all backward steps IMO! Don't know why they had to hide the finish button! Grr.

Otherwise a very good & detailed guide :).
Main rig - Ryzen 5 3600, 32 GB DDR4 3200, RX 580 8GB
2nd rig - i7 4930k @4.1 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 1866, HD 7870 XT 3GB (DS)
Assimilator1

Postby Joe_H » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:23 am

Assimilator1 wrote:Bit out of date this guide now, latest version (7.3.6 currently) doesn't have a drop down menu for choosing the mode level, there's no pause or finish button (you have to do it by right clicking the slot) & theirs no right clicking of the sys tray icon, all backward steps IMO! Don't know why they had to hide the finish button! Grr.
Otherwise a very good & detailed guide :).

Current guides are available here - http://folding.stanford.edu/home/guide. The older guide you commented on is not current as you might have guessed as it is linked from the V7 archives.

The Finish button for all slots may come back in a future version as a number of requests have been made for that feature. In the meantime right-clicking on the folding slots in FAHControl does bring up a pop-up menu that includes Finish.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Joe_H
Site Admin

Next

Return to V7.4.4 Public Release Windows/Linux/MacOS X (deprecated)