Is moving WU to another PC possible?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Is moving WU to another PC possible?

Postby restless » Sat May 17, 2014 8:00 am

Is there a way to transfer WU from one PC to another?
One of my home PCs has Radeon 5750 - which is still ok for WoT gaming and 4.5MH myriad-groestl mining...and I decided to try folding with it.
But the unit is completing way too slow. With PC running 14-16 hours a day projected ETA is very close to the WU timeout...
So I want to try moving this WU to another faster GPU, but is this possible?
If not I'm afraid to unit will simply timeout :(
restless

Re: Is moving WU to another PC possible?

Postby bruce » Sat May 17, 2014 8:16 am

Welcome to Foldingforum.org, restless.

The Radeon HD 5750 is, indeed a pretty slow GPU with only 720 shaders, but since I own a couple of HD 5450s which have only 80 shaders, you don't know the meaning of slow.

To say that moving data is impossible is always incorrect, but to say that it can be a challenge, the opportunities for failure are numerous, and it's not recommended is probably a more reasonable answer. I suggest that you set the WU to "FINIISH" and let your PC run 24x7 until the WU is uploaded instead of pausing overnight.

Be aware that both the TPF and the ETA can be rather inaccurate estimates unless the computer has been folding continuously for an hour or two.
bruce

Postby P5-133XL » Sat May 17, 2014 8:45 am

If you have a compatible but faster video card, then you can swap the video card (for GPU slots) by pausing the slot; power down; swap the video cards; re install the video drivers and then unpause the slot and folding will commence with the faster video card. The video cards generally have to be in the same family for this to work though. You can not switch an Nvidia for an AMD or the inverse. Depending on which folding core, you can not switch a Fermi for a Kepler etc.

Just know that this process is not guaranteed...
P5-133XL

Postby restless » Sat May 17, 2014 2:43 pm

What about copying the WU folder?
C:\ProgramData\FAHClient\work ?
Can something go wrong if I try to put Wu folder into another PC, by wrong I mean, somehow invalidating the WU forever.
restless

Postby 7im » Sat May 17, 2014 2:58 pm

restless wrote:What about copying the WU folder?
C:\ProgramData\FAHClient\work ?
Can something go wrong if I try to put Wu folder into another PC, by wrong I mean, somehow invalidating the WU forever.

I have yet to see someone successfully move the data in the V7 client. The data just gets dumped and reassigned to someone else, which causes delays.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby Joe_H » Sat May 17, 2014 3:33 pm

I have successfully moved a WU using V7, but that was several years ago and I do not recall all of the steps I needed to take. There may also have been changes in later versions of the V7 client that would make what I did then no longer possible. In addition the WU was a CPU one, fewer issues to deal with such as different GPU's, drivers, etc. I do recall needing to move more than just the work folder, but not what that was.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Joe_H
Site Admin

Postby PantherX » Sat May 17, 2014 7:18 pm

While I haven't moved WUs across systems, on the same system, if I need to test V7 versions, what I would do is to zip up the C:\Users\PantherX\AppData\Roaming\FAHClient folder, perform my test and then, do a fresh installation (using the same settings) of the same V7 version and then replace the C:\Users\PantherX\AppData\Roaming\FAHClient folder with the zipped one. It has always worked without any issues.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby davidcoton » Sat May 17, 2014 10:00 pm

Even if the moved unit folds successfully on the new h/w, I'm not sure if the servers would like it. There is a client identity for each PC, and I don't know if a unit returned by a PC other than the one to which it was issued will be regarded as valid or will earn points (It may work fine, but its possible that it won't).

David
davidcoton

Postby bruce » Sun May 18, 2014 1:29 am

If you keep the backup from the slow GPU and an error occurs in the cloned WU, there's a pretty good chance the error report will be uploaded. You can't resume work on the original WU. Even if you successfully complete it, the server will see you returned the same WU twice and reject the second one as a duplicate, wasting all the work that was done.
bruce wrote:..."it's not recommended" is probably a more reasonable answer.

Let's change that to either "It's impossible" or at least "It is strongly not recommended."
bruce

Postby Grandpa_01 » Sun May 18, 2014 2:08 am

davidcoton wrote:Even if the moved unit folds successfully on the new h/w, I'm not sure if the servers would like it. There is a client identity for each PC, and I don't know if a unit returned by a PC other than the one to which it was issued will be regarded as valid or will earn points (It may work fine, but its possible that it won't).

David

The client ID and machine ID are stored in the fah folder's not on the machine, I have successfully moved several WU's with v7 from machine to machine although it has been a while since I last did it. The method PantheX mentioned above should work without any problem, but please note the word (should) any time you move a WU there is a risk. :wink:
2 - SM H8QGi-F AMD 6xxx=112 cores @ 3.2 & 3.9Ghz
5 - SM X9QRI-f+ Intel 4650 = 320 cores @ 3.15Ghz
2 - I7 980X 4.4Ghz 2-GTX680
1 - 2700k 4.4Ghz GTX680
Total = 464 cores folding
Grandpa_01

Postby restless » Sun May 25, 2014 6:58 am

In order to "close" the topic - I managed to finis the unit 4 hours before deadline :)
Om another machine I had to change one 5850 - the new card was 290.
The unit/slot which 5850 was calculating is visible, but won't start on the other 5850 in the system, so it seems curently the client i able to distinguish different cards from same type.
restless

Postby bruce » Sun May 25, 2014 10:25 pm

The servers have to distinguish between specific types of GPUs. In no particular order, the following can be supported:

* NVidia [OpenCL or CUDA]
. . . G80-90/Tesla
. . . Fermi
. . . Kepler
. . . Maxwell

* ATI/AMD (HD 5000 and greater) [OpenCL]
* Intel [No current support - possibly future support.]

Attempting to transfer WUs assigned to any one of those types to another type will not work. Transferring from/to a faster/slower GPU of the same type generally works.

Replacing a GPU with a different type often results in a WU that's incompatible with the new GPU.

If you have two GPUs of the same type, deleting one slot will automatically move the WU to another slot OF THE SAME TYPE. If you delete a slot leaving zero slots of that type, the WU will be immediately discarded.
bruce

Postby davidcoton » Sun May 25, 2014 10:40 pm

A unit will not move itself to a different slot if its original slot is still present but paused (which if I understand correctly is your situation). If there are two identical GPUs, the slots are still distinct. If one of these slots is deleted, its WU will (I am told) transfer itself. Otherwise you would have to take active measures to transfer a WU to a different slot, but as Bruce said, "It is strongly not recommended."

Possibly (even probably) you could replace a card in a single GPU rig, and a partially complete WU would pick up on the new card, even if it is not identical (must be same family, I expect). Again, not recommended in most circumstances. If the slot is detected as mismatched to the GPU, or if the GPU is removed, the WU will probably be dumped.

David

EDIT: Following edits to above post.
davidcoton

Postby jenik » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:17 pm

Hey,
sorry for reviving old thread, but I needed the answers to this.

I successfully transferred WUs from one machine to another. I transferred WUs for CPUs only. I did this from Windows 7 machine to Windows 10 machine and also from linux machine to another linux machine. All of them being x86 compatible. (transfer between linux machines were from 32bit to 64bit operating system).

The reason to migrate at all was that I started the task on the slow one processor PC. It would take days to complete. By migrating to ~8 core machines the tasks took only hours to finish. Environment saved!
All I had to do was to transfer program data. (i.e. copy the directories from original machine to the target machine)

Windows:
C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\FAHClient

Linux:
/etc/fahclient/
/var/lib/fahclient/

As I copied the files under root, I also needed to change the owner of the files back to fahclient: 'sudo chown fahclient -R *', while being in the target dir.
I also needed to modify config.xml and remove section for GPU as the target machine did not have usable GPU installed (and fahclient protested against such config).

The migration occurred after the fahclient was killed (i.e. its process was not running on the target machine).

Cheers, ~jenik.
jenik

Postby Joe_H » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:26 pm

This is not recommended, there is information on the servers as to which computer a WU was assigned to, and each computer gets an unique ID when first connecting to the servers after an install. If you miss up on anything, then the servers will just dump the return.
Joe_H
Site Admin

Next

Return to V7.4.4 Public Release Windows/Linux/MacOS X (deprecated)