Can you adjust CPU usage in the v7.4.4 client?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Can you adjust CPU usage in the v7.4.4 client?

Postby TheinsanegamerN » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:41 pm

Hello Everyone.
I have not folded in quite some time, and was looking into folding again. In the older client (I do not remember which version) you could adjust the maximum CPU utilization to, say 50%, so that you could still use your machine while folding was occurring in the background. This option seems to have been removed in the 7.4.4 client. Is there a way to add this option back into 7.4.4, or a way to limit CPU usage? I don't like to leave my machine on when I am not home, and would like to be folding when I am browsing/gaming, as the core i5 is more than powerful enough to do both when the FaH is set to 50% usage.
Thank you.
TheinsanegamerN

Re: Can you adjust CPU usage in the v7.4.4 client?

Postby bollix47 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:27 pm

Welcome to the folding@home support forum TheinsanegamerN.

With version 7 of the folding client you have the ability to tell it to use any number of the cores/threads available:

Configure > Slots > CPU > Edit

Change the number of CPUs from -1 to 2, assuming your i5 has 4 cores, and you'll be running that CPU slot at 50%.

Alternatively, you can move the Power bar from Full to Medium or Light which will also reduce the number of cores/threads being used.
bollix47

Postby bruce » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:31 pm

Welcome back, TheinsanegamerN.

I see you've heard the recurring myth that if FAH is using unused CPU resources, it interferes with other things you might want to do with your computer. I have not found that to be true. The CPU process(es) that FAH runs on your CPU are at the ultimately lowest priority so anything else you want to do will supersede FAH until your foreground activity waits for inputs.

It should be noted, however, that GPU folding has no ability to dispatch higher priority tasks since all GPU work is processed by your GPU at the same priority. If you happen to be experiencing "screen lag," reducing CPU utilization won't help, since that's an issue for GPU folding, only.
bruce

Postby TheinsanegamerN » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:45 pm

Thank you guys for the response.
I turned the power bar to medium from high, and cpu usage seems to have dropped to~60%. for some reason, my minecraft server did not like having FaH running at full tilt. who knows why. So I ended up running FaH on 3 of the 4 cores at 100% and minecraft happilly runs on the 4th core.
TheinsanegamerN

Postby Ibringapples » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:00 pm

Hello,

I read your post and what I want is to use de CPU and all the treads.

bollix47 wrote:Welcome to the folding@home support forum TheinsanegamerN.

With version 7 of the folding client you have the ability to tell it to use any number of the cores/threads available:

Configure > Slots > CPU > Edit

Change the number of CPUs from -1 to 2, assuming your i5 has 4 cores, and you'll be running that CPU slot at 50%.

Alternatively, you can move the Power bar from Full to Medium or Light which will also reduce the number of cores/threads being used.

FAHClient --client-threads=6 --smp=true --cpus=6

Thank you! :)
Ibringapples

Postby JimboPalmer » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:29 pm

TheinsanegamerN wrote:I turned the power bar to medium from high, and cpu usage seems to have dropped to~60%. for some reason, my minecraft server did not like having FaH running at full tilt. who knows why. So I ended up running FaH on 3 of the 4 cores at 100% and minecraft happilly runs on the 4th core.

Folding@Home tries to be the lowest priority application on your PC. It is possible that your Minecraft server is also trying to be the lowest priority application. In that scenario, F@H may 'win'. Your solution seems to be working!
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
JimboPalmer

Postby Ibringapples » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:01 am

Hello,

What I''d like is to know how to make almost full the work of the CPU. To dedicate almost entirely the power of them.

Thanks a lot :)
Ibringapples

Postby JimboPalmer » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:14 am

Ibringapples wrote:What I''d like is to know how to make almost full the work of the CPU. To dedicate almost entirely the power of them.

If you move the slider to Full, all the CPUs fold.

For finer control, I recommend this method: (this assumes Windows and it assumes you know how many threads your PC supports)

In the taskbar to the lower right of the screen, you should see a F@H molecule icon, click it (you may need to click an Up Arrow to see it ^)

The second item in this menu is Advanced Control, click it

On this screen to the left is a Configure button, click it

Now you get a screen with a Slots tab, click it

On this white field should be a cpu item, click it and then click edit

By default F@H set the number of CPUs to -1 meaning let the software decide.
You can enter any number from 1 to the number of threads your CPU supports.

If you have GPUs, F@H reserves one CPU per GPU to feed it data across the PCIE bus.

F@H has difficulty with large primes and their multiples number of CPUs.
7 is always large, 5 is sometimes large, and 3 is never large. Try to choose a number that is a multiple of 2 and/or 3.
2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 9, 12, 16, 18, 20, 21, 24, 27, 30, 32 are good numbers of CPUs to choose. (_r2w_ben has advised me of more good numbers)
5. 10. 15, 20, 25, 28 may work most of the time. Other numbers will bite you

Type the number you want, and click save.

F@H may have issues with CPU counts over 32, if I had more than 32 CPUs, I would make multiple cpu slots. There is an add button on the Slots screen.
JimboPalmer

Return to V7.4.4 Public Release Windows/Linux/MacOS X (deprecated)