HTTP_FORBIDDEN - 401 HTTP UNAUTHORIZED

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Re: HTTP_FORBIDDEN - 401 HTTP UNAUTHORIZED

Postby Jenkins13 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:33 pm

Uninstalled and then reinstalled so I could get settings back to default. AV and Windows Firewall are turned off. Now I'm just getting.

15:32:12:Connecting to assign-GPU2.stanford.edu:80
15:32:12:WARNING:Attempting to update GPUs.txt from assign-GPU2.stanford.edu:80: Received empty GPUs.txt
Cliff Jenkins, MCDST, MCP, Security+
Solution Engineer
Breakfix Group
http://www.linkedin.com/in/cliffordjenkins

Management of Information Technology
Jenkins13

Postby bruce » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:49 pm

It sounds like there's still a security permission that needs to be relaxed. Presumably your browser can open and download
https://fah-web.stanford.edu/file-relea ... c/GPUs.txt so there's no good reason why the FAHClient.exe pseudo-browser wouldn't be able to do the same if it weren't being blocked by something.
bruce

Postby Jenkins13 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:37 pm

Yes, I'm able to open, view and download the GPUs.txt.
Are there any ping or telnet tests that I could run to help diagnose this? Any type of hardware FAHClient.exe not like?

I greatly appreciate all your help and I don't want to drain you. I would like to get the full app working since I have a nice GPU to help fold.

Thank you again in advance for your valuable time, help and consideration.
Jenkins13

Postby bruce » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:08 pm

Jenkins13 wrote:Yes, I'm able to open, view and download the GPUs.txt.
Are there any ping or telnet tests that I could run to help diagnose this? Any type of hardware FAHClient.exe not like?

Not that I know of.

Do check your firewall or AV suite to see what kind of internet permissions can be set for FAHClient.exe.
e.g.-
* Can establish an internet connection.
* Can download files
* Can upload files
(etc.)
bruce

Postby mapachita » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:39 am

Hello from the future! Necromancing this thread for everyone else who found it googling for the 401 Unauthorized error.
Getting "401 Unauthorized" tells you two important things: A. that the FAHClient's web interface is working and B. that it's reachable from the browser. Error 401 explicitly happens when your browser tries to connect to a server, the server responds, then says "Sorry, you're not on the list, buddy." If it's a firewall thing, or the client isn't running the web interface, you'll likely get either "connection refused" or no connection at all (timed out).
Explanation out of the way, here's how you (probably) fix it in the far-off year of 2020 (or if you're running something like version 7.6.13):
    Open FAHClient's config.xml
    add:
    Code: Select all
    <!-- Web Server -->
         <web-allow v='127.0.0.1 192.168.1.0/24'/>

(Replace 192.168.1.0/24 with the IP address or subnet of the machine you're trying to connect from)
    Save/exit
    Restart FAHClient
And that ought to do it.
mapachita

Postby gunnarre » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:06 am

Make sure that the addresses you input in web-allow start with 192. 10. or 127. Those address blocks are private, as in they usually won't be routed through the public Internet. Leave off the /24 part of the address unless you want to grant access to the whole network.

There are other non-public IP adresses, but you can look those up in the RFC documents and/or in WHOIS lookups to see if they're assigned to the public Internet or not.
gunnarre

Postby mapachita » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:22 pm

gunnarre wrote:Make sure that the addresses you input in web-allow start with 192. 10. or 127. Those address blocks are private, as in they usually won't be routed through the public Internet. Leave off the /24 part of the address unless you want to grant access to the whole network.

Thank you, fellow time traveler! :) I wasn't sure how to explain this; I know "set a password" isn't enough since there's no encryption, and "Here's how you set up a VPN/SSH tunnel if you want to keep an eye on it from your phone" is probably outside the scope.
mapachita

Previous

Return to V7.4.4 Public Release Windows/Linux/MacOS X (deprecated)