Change example config.xml

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Change example config.xml

Postby fharding » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:55 pm

I've found the example config.xml file is kind of insufficient, here's a better one I found that works great for me.

Code: Select all
<config>

<!-- See sample config: /usr/share/doc/fahclient/sample-config.xml -->

<!-- Client Control
       Don't fold anonymously, provide user info. -->
  <fold-anon v='false'/>

<!-- Folding Slot Configuration -->
  <gpu v='false'/>  <!-- If true, attempt to autoconfigure GPUs -->

<!-- Slot Control
       Options: light, medium or full
       Watch out for high load -->
  <power v='full'/>

<!-- User Information
         Register your passkey: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/getpasskey.py
  -->
  <user v=''/>
  <passkey v=''/>
  <team v=''/>

<!-- Folding Slots -->
  <!-- Use all the CPUs
       Watch out for high load -->
  <slot id='0' type='CPU'/>

<!-- Grant Remote Web Access
       access web UI at 192.168.1.63:7396 -->
  <allow>127.0.0.1 ipaddresshere</allow>
  <web-allow>127.0.0.1 ipaddresshere</web-allow>

</config>
fharding

Re: Change example config.xml

Postby 7im » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:45 pm

Hello fharding, welcome to the Folding Support Forum.

Thank you for an example config. Everyone has a personal preference when it comes to a config setup.

The example config is just that, a basic example. If you drop that example file in place, it just works. No changes needed, which was the original design goal. Your example won't, it requires editing, but maybe that's your design goal.

It's also too bad you took the link to the help docs out of your config file, while adding a link to the passkey, kind of a wash there.

Most people will be changing their configs through the installer, and the GUI. And anyone editing a config file manually is assumed to be an expert, and experts don't really need much help. Those looking to become an expert can read through the documentation linked at the start of the example config. ;)
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby fharding » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:30 am

7im wrote:Hello fharding, welcome to the Folding Support Forum.

Thank you for an example config. Everyone has a personal preference when it comes to a config setup.

The example config is just that, a basic example. If you drop that example file in place, it just works. No changes needed, which was the original design goal. Your example won't, it requires editing, but maybe that's your design goal.

It's also too bad you took the link to the help docs out of your config file, while adding a link to the passkey, kind of a wash there.

Most people will be changing their configs through the installer, and the GUI. And anyone editing a config file manually is assumed to be an expert, and experts don't really need much help. Those looking to become an expert can read through the documentation linked at the start of the example config. ;)

Fair point, but I disagree that anyone that is doing a command line configuration is a "expert". Frankly I'd rather have a quick example guide that is self explanatory and easy to change, rather than have to read through documentation, as the rest of the process is relatively self explanatory. No links to the docs are needed if the rest is known and all that needs a link is passkey setup.
fharding

Postby bruce » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:27 pm

fharding wrote:... but I disagree that anyone that is doing a command line configuration is a "expert".

I prefer to look at it differently and ask about the range of people who sometimes make mistakes -- whether because of limited knowledge or because of carelessness. Why does your document editor have a spell-checker?

In the case of xml, have you ever left out a "/" or a ">" and tried to find it? Whether your spell-checker tells you that you mis-typed a word or it tells you "that's not a real word ... look it up." it's still useful for somebody with an expert command of the language or a limited knowledge of it.

I object to your comment: Don't fold anonymously, provide user info. -->

You're entitled to your personal opinion, but that's certainly not essential for those who are in it for the science. One of the goals of the installer is to enable a novice to help with the research without making any configuration changes whatsoever.
bruce

Postby 7im » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:38 pm

The flaw in the logic is that any XML guide or example would be easy or quick to understand, unless more than a Novice.

The standing recommendation is to use the GUI unless you are an expert, because as bruce noted, manually editing XML is problematic. So again, Experts don't need an XML for dummies example config. But you are more than welcome to keep trying to make one.
7im

Postby charliep » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:35 am

What would be helpful is documentation on /all/ the options available in the XML. Many of us are running headless servers through firewalls, etc. which makes the whole GUI bit unrealistic. If you look at /usr/share/doc/fahclient/sample-config.xml it only lists a few of the available choices, and reading the source code to the parser seems a bit excessive.
charliep

Postby Joe_H » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:13 am

Simplest way to see all the options, set logging verbosity to 5, startup the FAHClient process. All of them will be listed in the log file at either their default value or what it has been changed to. Just remember to set the logging verbosity back afterwards to just show changed values.

Some of the values are obvious, others are not. Changing ones that are not documented may break something, YMMV.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Joe_H
Site Admin

Postby ccgllc » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:35 pm

charliep wrote:What would be helpful is documentation on /all/ the options available in the XML. Many of us are running headless servers through firewalls, etc. which makes the whole GUI bit unrealistic. If you look at /usr/share/doc/fahclient/sample-config.xml it only lists a few of the available choices, and reading the source code to the parser seems a bit excessive.

Amen. Having to jump through hoops to tune this tool is silly. Just provide us documentation!

For instance, I'd love to set FAHClient to run at a slightly higher priority over BOINC on my 54 thread server.
ccgllc

Return to V7.4.4 Public Release Windows/Linux/MacOS X (deprecated)