Really strange control-client issue...?!

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Really strange control-client issue...?!

Postby J.P.R. » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:51 am

Hey guys,

at the moment I'm trying to configure my folding at home client on my main computer for my up to 4 other computers. I have recently accidently kind of destroyed one of my mainboards but managed to get another one for free (that is even better, but that's off topic...).

So, whenever I plugged the computer (Nr. 2) in and connected it with my switch it got the ip-address of another computer (Nr. 5) that used to be there on this port (xxx.xxx.xxx.219) but isn't used anmyore. But I made all the settings for the new computer (Nr. 2) on my control-client with another address (xxx.xxx.xxx.212).
Of course, as a next step, I wanted to change the adress in the client according to Computer Nr. 2, which I couldn't because there were already settings for the retired computer 5. (man this is more complicated to explain than I thought... hope you can still follow...)

As i don't need the settings for the old computer Nr. 5 anymore I wanted to delete them, BUT that's when I run into the strange issue... Whenever I try to click on the old computer Nr. 5 (as If I wanted to look if it is still folding...), my control client is freezing and it doesn't want to do anything anymore. After I close and open the client again, I can observe all the other computers that are connected or not, as long as I don't press on computer Nr. 5... Then I have to close the client window and open it up again...

I have no clue why this is happening. Have been using it for quite some time now and never had a problem. The only thing I could imagine would be the strange letter in the name of computer nr. 5 ( its "ß", kind of a german double s). However, I've never run into problems with it before, even when computer nr. 5 was up and running...?

Can anybody help me? I tried giving computer nr. 2 a different static ip-address, which failed (I guess because I'm in a big university dormitory-network). That still wouldn't solve the issue as this dead "computer nr. 5 settings" would remain in my client, completely ruining the view of 4 other perfectly healthy folding computers XD

Are there any ways to edit the client settings and delete computer Nr. 5?

Thanks for the help to everybody :)

J.P.R.

(btw. one side thing, I guess there is no possibility to plug in 3 graphics cards into a computer with a dual core processor with 2 threads?)
J.P.R.

Re: Really strange control-client issue...?!

Postby bruce » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:19 am

Where are you setting these IP addresses?

Post the first few pages of your log and we can probably figure it out. You shouldn't need to set ANY IP addresses to get a client to run, and if you're trying to link other computers in FAHClontrol's left screen, I recommend you use the computer's name rather than it's IP address.

Most local networks assume that your computer is set for "automatic configuration" which uses DHCP to assign IP addresses and they're likely to change from time to time unless you manually tak full control of all of the addressing on your LAN.
bruce

Postby J.P.R. » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:46 am

When adjusting the settings for the remote computer it asks you for a name (like blablablacomputer_nr2), and afterwards the page asks you for "Hostname or iP", Port (default) and the password. As I don't know how to set up the clients via hostnames, other than probably local, I just typed in the ip Adresses as suggested. Just for the remote controll thing. worked most of the time, except in special cases like this one, when I changed my setups...?

I don't know what the log does have to do with this specific problem, that I cannot access, let alone remove the left over client from "computer5" on my main computers FAHControl...?
J.P.R.

Postby bruce » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:14 am

Suppose I have a machine with the hostname "livingrm" that's remote from where I am seated. Suppose it's currently at 192.168.1.12, but the next time it is rebooted, it might be at 192.168.1.10 or some other address..

In FAHs configuration screen, it says
Address
Specify the network address as either as an IP of the form ###.###.###.### or a hostname.

If you use 192.168.1.12 it will work temporarily, but after it is rebooted you probably will have to change that setting. On the other hand if you put livingrm in the address field, it will continue to work even if it's IP address changes. DHCP can update the IP address, but DNS will always know where it can be found.

You should be able to ping it either under the hostname or the IP address.
bruce

Postby J.P.R. » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:53 pm

jo, tried my best in addressing the computers with the host-names...
It worked for just 2 of my 4 computers, as I don't know how to get the hostname of one (linux laptop that I can't access right now, as the screen is broken and teamviewer doesn't wanna connect, I'm happy it still is folding), and the other one just simply doesn't wanna work with the right hostname...

Whatever, what my real problem and the reason of this thread still is:
I have one entry on my remote-access list that I can click on, doesn't wanna connect (naturally as there is no computer under that address), and afterwards I have to restart my control client to access any other computer. So is there a file, where my control client saves all the settings for the remote computers so I can manually delete the nonexisting entry...?
Tried to look up the config.xml, but it only shows my local settings, not the remote computers settings...?!?
J.P.R.

Postby bruce » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:21 pm

In Windows, you'll probably find a command-line untility "netstat" which lists all recognized connections in the form IP-address:port. For the moment, ignore the :port part. I happen to have a Netgear router and as part of the software that comes with it, a utility called Genie comes with it and it's a bit easier to use. Your router may have something similar. Using the example I gave above, you may see either 192.168.1.12 or livingrm or maybe even both. In either case, you can enter tracert 192.168.1.12 or tracert livingrm and get a response something like this:
Pinging livingrm [192.168.1.12] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.12: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

If it looks like that, you have established the fact that your current PC recognizes that the name/IP pair is understood.

While you're in the Windows text screen you might start by testing the connection from Windows, itself. First test the local connection by entering telnet 127.0.0.1 36330 and then quit] (You may need to add "telnet client" to the list of programs found in Control_Panel + Turn_Windows_Features_On_Or_Off) Then Enter telnet livingrm 36330 to see what happens.

In the left column of FAHControl, you should see your list of remote clients.
First, if you're still seeing your nr5 you can remove it by highlighting that entry and using the REMOVE button on the bottom.
Second, you can ADD and entry for livingrm. Under "name" enter, say "living room" and under "address" enter "livingrm" Leave the setting 36330 alone. If a FAH password has been established on the remote client, enter it. Does that work?

If you got this far and still have not succeeded, the problem is on the remote computer. Go to the remote machine, and temporarily disable whatever security software you have running there. (Personally, I worked on a similar problem for quite a while before I figured out that a computer that was given to me used security software that contained a firewall that was blocking the connection. (The default settings of Windows Firewall won't block this connection, though FAH might.}

If the remote FAHClient is blocking the connection, go to the "remote access" tab. Either confirm the password or simply remove it. Confirm tthat 36330 still shows in the port field.
If you still do not have a connection, look at the first Allow and Deny fields. Before proceeding, be sure you know your network address. In my example above, all network addresses begin with 192.168.1* Your network may be different. For my network, the Allow field must be 127.0.0.1,192.168.1.0/24 and the Deny field is still 0/0. You may choose to do the same for Passwordless Restrictions or you may choose to leave them at the default setting.

NOTE: After you change any of these settings, be sure to restart the client.
bruce

Postby J.P.R. » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:52 pm

Hey,

I still don't know how or why this is going to help me with my problem.

I know how to establish the connection as I've done it many times before, and as I stated before, the: "remove it by highlighting that entry and using the REMOVE button on the bottom" does not work as the client crashes and it refuses to show any information on any other remote computer afterwards. All it shows after I accidently or intentionally click on computer nr. 5 on the list is: "Client: inactive" on top of the fold, pause, and finish buttons. When I try to click on the other 4 computers that are currently folding it is still showing "Client: inactive", until I close the control window and reopen it. The remove button does NOT react when I did click on computer nr. 5 before.

I have no problem reaching the other computers.
I have problems deleting the entry on computer nr. 5 as the ordinary way does NOT work!
J.P.R.

Postby J.P.R. » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:27 am

Just to let you know:

It somehow sorted itself out by now, as I had problems with my PSU crashing my whole rig when trying to fold. I thought I had problems with FAH alone and reinstalled it. So now the problems are gone as I had to manually type in all the computers again (after I installed an external PSU for my computer lol...)

So thanks anyway for your help, I guess it wont be the last time I write here ;)

J.P.R.
J.P.R.

Postby Karlodam » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:19 pm

I also had this kind of issue. But then I found out that the IP 192.168.1.12 was already assigned to my router.
Karlodam

Return to V7.4.4 Public Release Windows/Linux/MacOS X (deprecated)