restart computer reloads all cards

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

restart computer reloads all cards

Postby chabgood » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:49 pm

I have 1 AMD card and 3 1070's. When I disable the AMD card it runs all 3 1070's fine. But when I restart it removes 1 1070 and loads up the Amd card. Why?

Windows 10.
chabgood

Re: restart computer reloads all cards

Postby foldy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:57 pm

I guess FAH gets the GPU indexes wrong after PC restart. Default gpu-index for each GPU slot is -1 which means auto. Workaround maybe set the gpu-index for each GPU slot manually to 0,1,2,3.
foldy

Postby bruce » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:20 am

If you've changed your GPU hardware installation since you completed the installation of FAH's software, it's a good idea to reinstall (keeping the data). At install time, FAHClient detects your hardware and establishes a set of default settings consistent with what it detects. Then, if you still have problems, make the adjustments mentioned above.

While FAH does detect hardware every time it starts, I've never seen it add or remove a slot or alter the setup for an AMD GPU to/from an NVidia GPU.
bruce

Postby chabgood » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:46 pm

This happened the other day, I have 4 cards in a 5 slot board I put an amd card in the 5th slot and the client removed a few cards.
chabgood

Postby bruce » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:33 pm

In the middle of the first page of the log, you'll find a list of the GPUs that are detected. Post that information from two copies of the log ... one before the change and another after, so I can see what changed.

Adding a GPU requires that you add the drivers for the new card and it's a good idea to reinstall FAHClient so the detection code is processed again. The WUs will navigate to the same device that they were on, even if the devices are renumbered -- except if you remove the last GPU of the type that was present when the WU was downloaded.
bruce

Return to V7.4.4 Public Release Windows/Linux/MacOS X (deprecated)