F@HControl

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: F@HControl

Postby ChristianVirtual » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:45 am

Joe_H wrote:enter the command 'talent 127.0.0.1 36330' (without the quotes)

with less talent; and more telnet ... :lol:
(I love the macOS / iOS spell-shredder)
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
ChristianVirtual

Postby Penfold » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:16 am

I entered the following:
Code: Select all
telnet 192.xxx.x.xx 36330
but got the response
 -bash: telnet: command not found

Reading a bit in Terminal > Help, I tried Shell > New Remote connection…
In the New Remote Connection window I selected Remote Login (telnet) in the 'Service' column and entered the IP address of the Ubuntu machine in the 'Server' column. The resulting message was
[Command not found: telnet]

[Could not create a new process and open a pseudo-tty.]

I tried the hostname of the Ubuntu machine instead and got the same response.
ssh and sftp get me in, but ftp and telnet both elicit the same response.

Now I know I'm well out of my depth. But what if I had succeeded in getting them to work? The next problem would be to get FAHControl working in Terminal wouldn't it? Or am I talking nonsense here? I can and always have been able to ssh into the machine - to check temperatures and/or see if there are any updates. These are tricks I learned with much toil over 5 years ago.

Ubuntu 16.04.1
F@H v 7.4.4
Penfold

Postby Penfold » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:18 am

ChristianVirtual wrote:with less talent; and more telnet ... :lol:
(I love the macOS / iOS spell-shredder)

I admit it - less talent - that's me. :lol:
Penfold

Postby stealthswifttlk » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:35 pm

Penfold wrote:*snip*
ssh and sftp get me in, but ftp and telnet both elicit the same response.

I might be wrong, but I thought that telnet had been locked down by default on a lot of modern linux distributions due to it passing all of it's data in the open. They all favor SSH now for this reason i.e authentication/encryption. SSH is a lot more versatile than telnet anyway, as it allows for other more complex things such as setting up tunneling with a SOCKS proxy etc (i.e 'poor man's vpn') There only a few things that you could do in telnet that you couldn't with SSH. They both provide command line terminal access to the remote machine, just that one is seen as 'more secure' than the other, and that by default they run on different network ports. Your own experimentation appears to suggest that this may be the case.

Penfold wrote:Now I know I'm well out of my depth. But what if I had succeeded in getting them to work? The next problem would be to get FAHControl working in Terminal wouldn't it? Or am I talking nonsense here? I can and always have been able to ssh into the machine - to check temperatures and/or see if there are any updates. These are tricks I learned with much toil over 5 years ago.

It's unfortunate that one of the things that you can do with telnet that I don't think you can do with SSH is to make a RAW connection to a remote port and probe the response returned. In this way, telnet would allow you to test the connection between your machine as the 'client' and the remote machine as the 'server' on the port number in question and validate the response. That is, if telnet is enabled on the machines in question. An old trick used to be to test an email server (telnet to a pop3 server on port 110) and verify the response. If you knew that the server was up but the response wasn't in the correct form, something may have been interfering with the packet transfer such as firewall or antivirus. From what I've read through this thread, I think it was suggested to use telnet just to aid with network diagnosis, not to actually use it in as a day-to-day replacement for your needs.
stealthswifttlk

Postby Penfold » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:48 pm

I fired up my older iMac, which has Snow Leopard as the OS and is therefore retired most of the time. The same problem exists trying to connect to the Ubuntu machine. I can connect to the newer iMac fine although (using Go > Connect to Server…) I had to change the server address from the old one, which had the form afp:// 10.1.x, to 'afp colon double-slash xxxx-iMac.local.' (I had to use 'colon double-slash' because the address appeared as a live link before I edited it.)

It looks like an AEBS issue, doesn't it? I'll have a try with the Apple Discussion Forums.
Penfold

Postby Penfold » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:27 pm

I have Little Snitch installed on my iMac and thought to add a rule for FAHControl to 'Allow outgoing connections to local network'.

Little Snitch makes a Suggestion in the sidebar -
Code signature ignored
More fully -
Code signature is ignored even though a usable one exists on disk
I don't know what this means in practice.

Investigating further (still within LS) I find -
FAHControl
Valid code signature
Developer ID
Issued by Apple Inc., US
Signed by Joseph Coffland, US

There is a link under that which says 'Show certificate…', but the link doesn't work.

Is all of this of any use in diagnosing the problem?

Since my last post, I've connected the iMac directly to the AEBS with an ethernet cable - no success. I swapped the old AEBS back and found that FAHControl wouldn't work with that anymore, so I just hooked the new AEBS back up again.
Penfold

Postby SteveWillis » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:02 pm

You are making it too complicated. Just use nomachine.
My thanks to my very indulgent wife
folding as DarthMouse_ALL_1GD5nCZbh7gNo1SESPLT24xEd2Jsu4rTP9

3 AMD Linux rigs 3, 4, and 5 GPUs 7 X GTX 1080, 5 X GTX 1080 TI
SteveWillis

Postby ChristianVirtual » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:09 pm

Q1: can you on the local Ubuntu box
telnet <IP> 36330
? What do you get ? I hope a welcome screen. If you use 127.0.0.1 as IP you don't need as password; if you go via regular IP address you might need to enter a password with the command AUTH <password>. Then EXIT or HELP.

Q2: do you have firewall active (e.g. iptables); then the following command would open the port needed
iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 36330 -j ACCEPT

You will need telnet for testing in this case; SSH will not do it as the FAHControl as described earlier, only support the good ol' plain text telnet. (You could define a SSH tunnel with port forwarding; but let first try to get some basics done before we fly high).
ChristianVirtual

Postby Penfold » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:05 pm

I read a bit about the Firewall in Ubuntu and learned of 'ufw'. So I tried the command
sudo ufw status
and got the response
inactive

I then tried your telnet command, using 127.0.0.1. The response was
Welcome to the Folding@home Client command server

Is this all good so far?
Penfold

Postby bruce » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:16 pm

Penfold wrote:The response was
Welcome to the Folding@home Client command server

Is this all good so far?

Yes. That's exactly what you should see. You've demonstrated that the basics do work -- when they're not blocked by security software.

Were you connecting to 127.0.0.1 (the local machine's loopback address) or was the IP/hostname you used to a remote machine?
bruce

Postby Penfold » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:48 pm

I used 127.0.0.1

Trying 192.168.1xx (my iMac) from the Ubuntu machine results in
Trying 192.168.1.xx…
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection timed out
Penfold

Postby Penfold » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:38 pm

I've delved back into notes I made when I first got all of this working in 2012 and found the nicely detailed and simple instructions I'd followed in setting up FAHControl on the iMac.

- in FAHControl, click the "Add" button near lower left
- put the Umac’s hostname, "xxx-XXXXX-XXX-XX", in "Name" field
- click on "Configure", select the "Connection*" tab and check that "Name" is as above,
and that "xxx-XXXXX-XXX-XX.local" is entered under "Hostname or IP". "Port"
should be 36330
- put whatever password was selected in (ii) above, in "Password", (or leave blank)
- click the "Save" button

All well and good so far, but next:
- Under the "Identity*" tab, fill in the Name, Team number and Passkey fields
- click the "Save" button

* In FAHControl on the iMac there is no 'Identity' tab. There is only the 'Connection' tab, which is why I've inserted the red asterisks.
On the Ubuntu machine, in FAHControl, clicking on the 'Configure' tab produces a window with seven tabs:
Connection
Identity
Slots
Remote Access
Proxy
Advanced
Expert

Should FAHControl be that different on the two machines. I can't recall what it was like on the iMac before all this happened.
Penfold

Postby Penfold » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:42 pm

And as a PS, I've only installed FAHControl.app plus Uninstall Folding@home.pkg since I wouldn't fold on the iMac.
Penfold

Postby SteveWillis » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:03 pm

Maybe not your problem but I've seen that on my Linux install. I can't remember exactly what I did but here are my notes:

If the control screen is grayed out and configure only has the connection tab the folding client isn't starting. This can happen especially after changing or replacing graphics cards.
rm /etc/fahclient/config.xml
reinstall the client
reboot
add folding slots back in.
Sometimes a reinstall will remove your folding name, team number, and private key. Be sure and check all three or you won't get any credit.
SteveWillis

Postby Penfold » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:29 pm

SteveWillis wrote:If the control screen is grayed out and configure only has the connection tab the folding client isn't starting. This can happen especially after changing or replacing graphics cards.
rm /etc/fahclient/config.xml
reinstall the client
reboot
add folding slots back in.
Sometimes a reinstall will remove your folding name, team number, and private key. Be sure and check all three or you won't get any credit.

I hope I've understood your post correctly.
The FAHClient only exists on my Ubuntu machine. There isn't any folding done on my iMac. I use FAHControl installed on my iMac to (I'd always assumed) ssh into the FAHClient on the Ubuntu machine.
Everything with FAH is working fine on the Ubuntu machine. I think, anyway. The setup with the U-machine and iMac had been working fine until the arrival of the new AEBS.
Penfold

PreviousNext

Return to V7.4.4 Public Release Windows/Linux/MacOS X