CPU utilization unsustainable even at light setting

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

CPU utilization unsustainable even at light setting

Postby xtjpa » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:20 am

Although my folding power is set to light, my CPU utilization has been 100% for 1/2 of its cores, causing it all cores to run hot.. close to 80C ALL THE TIME. I have sufficient CPU cooling (albeit not water cooling), but the computational power required at the light setting is just too much for my many fans to sustain. can you reduce light setting even further? sustaining the current workload will reduce the life of my brand new CPU (I have 45M points in about 1.5yrs; I have reason to suspect it cooked my previous CPU, but luckily I had a warranty).

for the light setting: instead of running 1/2 the cores at 100% ALL THE TIME, perhaps parse out the workload as a bell curve (eg. stepwise cycling of the utilization up then down ~10min each) which would allow the cpu to cool somewhat between throttles?

bottom line: light isn't light enough; I need the ability to turn the throttle down further or I'm unable to work with it any longer.

Thank you for your consideration.

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7820X CPU @ 3.60GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
RAM: 64G
xtjpa

Re: CPU utilization unsustainable even at light setting

Postby JimboPalmer » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:27 am

In the advanced control you can choose Configure, Slots, CPU slot, and set the number of CPUs lower (3 or 2) and see if that helps.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
JimboPalmer

Postby artoar_11 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:35 am

I have in the office i7-4770k (4/8HT; 3.5-3.9 GHz) with box cooler. If I use all CPU cores (CPU:8), the temperature hits 96°C after 2-3 minutes. I changed the number of CPU cores to 4. I have lowered the CPU voltage from 1.174 V(default) to 1.110 V.
Now the temperature is about 76-80°C on AVX (GRO_A7) WUs. On SSE-x (GRO_A4) WUs 72-75°C :D
artoar_11

Postby SteveWillis » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:29 am

You say you have sufficient CPU cooling but apparently that isn't true. I had to upgrade my cooler with https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1 . My computer was crashing due to the high temperatures and now doesn't go over 60C. Granted it's quite a chore to install. I have them on all three of my rigs.
Another idea would be to upgrade the thermal compound between the cpu and the heat sink, which often isn't very good on production computers. https://smile.amazon.com/Arctic-Silver- ... tic+silver
Lastly, have you recently blown the dust out of your cooler?

1080 and 1080TI GPUs on Linux Mint
SteveWillis

Postby xtjpa » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:12 pm

Thank you all for your immediate responses and ideas. I really appreciate it; this is great feedback.
@SteveWillis, I build this one myself a few days ago and several others over the years. thats the cpu cooler master I have (see how it only has one fan? I was throwing around the idea to add another one on the opposite side). That's also the thermo compound I use.
@JimboPalmer, I was unaware, Thanks. I set to 4 to see what happens... CPUs 0,2,4,6,8 are 100% (seems 4 = 0 to 4); the respective cores 0,1,2,3,4 have held at mid-60C this morning (side note: each core = 2 CPUs). The other cores 5,6,7 are >10C less. This solution may work on its own.
@artoar_11, thanks as well. I will look into the BIOS in order to drop default CPU voltage... this may be the combo of solutions I need. I'll report back.
xtjpa

Postby SteveWillis » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:16 pm

Since you could in fact expect sufficient cooling with the setup you have, if it was me, especially being a new build, I'd try re-seating the heat sink. That is a connection that has to be perfect and I know from experience it can be tricky with that cooler.
SteveWillis

Postby bruce » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:16 pm

JimboPalmer wrote:In the advanced control you can choose Configure, Slots, CPU slot, and set the number of CPUs lower (3 or 2) and see if that helps.

This value can be reduced even further ... say to CPU:1. You won't get a lot of folding done, but it should reduce the temperature even further. Set it to something you're comfortable with.

If you're running something else "heavy" it will only reduce FAH's use of the CPUs.

You've probably already checked all or most of the following, but here's my own list:
Any well-designed commercial system should be capable of running continuously at 100% CPU -- although if you've added GPUs or other heat-producing hardware, that's additional heat which must be moved out of the case with the existing fans. Dust may have accumulated in the narrow passages of the heatsink. A fan may have failed. The thermal grease between the CPU and the heatsink may have degraded.
bruce

Postby jrweiss » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:55 pm

There are 2 places I would look, one of which was already mentioned:

Clean and renew the thermal paste between your CPU and heat sink. Too much or too little, and the best cooler in the world won't help.

Check the air flow through the system. Ensure your fans are set up sanely, so there is a good flow path. If they merely thrash around all the hot air inside the case, it may still have a tough time getting out. At the other extreme, you may be pulling too much air out from the wrong place (e.g., PSU at the bottom, instead of near the CPU at the top).

You should have slightly more inflow fan capacity than outflow. Ensure you count ALL intake and exhaust fans, including PSU and GPU if applicable. Flow should generally go from front to back, bottom to top in a normal case. If possible, the CPU fan should point directly toward an exhaust fan. Strategically place slotted backplane covers to allow excess air to exhaust near the GPU or any other hot spot; experiment with number and placement by temporarily covering some slots with tape.
i7-4770K/MSI GTX 1050ti, 388.43 driver
i7-3770S/MSI GTX 1050ti, 398.36 driver
Win7-64Pro
jrweiss

Postby xtjpa » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:22 pm

@SteveWillis... yes, its always in the way when tinkering around inside. i may take your advice, but i'm not looking forward to screwing in the springloaded mounting support. i'll check in between the heat foils too.. possible dust but the case is pristine; i'll check. @jrweiss, i'll look into your suggestions as well
@artoar_11... I won't have console access to tinker with the bios until after work, but reading manual online (ASUS Prime x299-A motherboard) it seems I can only increase voltage (ie. overclock).
regardless, i'm watching CPUID HWmonitor via rdp and cpu voltage is hovering around 1.015V with a 1.044V max so its nowhere near 1.2V..
@bruce... given the circumstances, it looks like my comfortable number is cpu = 3 (i.e. cores 0 to 3). All are 100% all the time, but I'll take with a grain of salt **. The respective core temps are all just south of 60C, which just makes me feel a bit better if i'm not going to pay attention to it for days at a time.

**using the analogy of a V8 engine: the only thing that makes me uneasy is that the same 4 cylinders are banging at full throttle all the time and the other 4 aren't ever used. I would have hoped there was an option to evenly spread out computational load.

Thank you all for your collective help.
xtjpa

Postby SteveWillis » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:24 pm

OH YEAH the mount is a pain to work with. That's why I suggested it. Every time I've done one of those I held my breath when I booted.
SteveWillis

Postby bruce » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:46 am

One CPU should be allocated to feeding data to your GPU. If you configure you CPU slot for 3, that will account for the total of 4 in your report of CPUs 0-3. Depending on how your OS manages affinity, the active cores may remain fixed or may float around as other things interrupt them briefly. It's the total that establishes how much heat the CPU generates, whether they remain locked to one Core or they float around.
bruce

Return to V7.4.4 Public Release Windows/Linux/MacOS X (deprecated)