Stutter and lag after crash

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Stutter and lag after crash

Postby Navity » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:05 am

Heyho!

For the last 3 days my machine was folding (CPU and GPU) nonstop. Yesterday when plugging a new monitor my machine froze and I had to restart.
After configuring monitors and restarting fah, my mouse suddenly started stuttering and my keyboard did not react to key press for some seconds. It looked like full CPU utilization so I stopped the CPU. But even after that the stutter reappeared about every minute for some seconds.
I tried reinstalling the fah client. No change.
I tried updating the GPU driver. No change.
It keeps the same: always when folding (no matter if CPU or GPU or both) my mouse and keyboard start stuttering for about 10 seconds, then appear to react normally for about 20 seconds and then it repeats.
My rig: Ryzen 1700, GTX 970, 32GB RAM, m.2 SSD, all drivers updated today
Any idea?
Thanks in advance!

Edit: I used the Advanced Control interface before. Now I tried the Web Control which seems to be unable to load my identity. It stucks at "waiting for 127.0.0.1" and keeps refreshing.
Edit 2: It seems like when running only CPU the stutter does not appear. --> I think it must have something to do with the graphics driver (which may have caused the first freeze too).

SOLVED: I had two monitors with different refresh rates, one 144Hz and one 60Hz. Turning off one of them solved the problem. To check your system you could try https://testufo.com/.
Last edited by Navity on Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Navity

Re: Stutter and lag after crash

Postby foldy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:45 am

Do you have some virus scanner running? Maybe it dislikes FAH and tries to run it in some sort of sandbox isolated from the system which also makes your input devices stutter?
foldy

Postby Navity » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:25 pm

I only use the Windows 10 integrated Defender and never had problems with it.
For testing I just deactivated the Defender but the problem kept occuring. It did not solve the issue.
Navity

Postby foldy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:21 pm

Navity wrote: the stutter reappeared about every minute for some seconds.

That time period could be the FAH checkpointing which means write to disk.

Maybe a Windows 10 update was silently applied and after the crash and restart got active.

Did you update the driver for your m2 ssd? Or could the disk be failing somehow? (Don't want to scare you I'm just guessing)
Or can you run a ssd benchmark tool and check if also mouse and keyboard stutter during benchmarking?

Or do you have a special mouse or keyboard with drivers?
foldy

Postby Navity » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:09 pm

There really was a Windows Update running when I restarted.
I just deinstalled every Update that was installed since the first crash. Reboot. No change.

Running a SSD Benchmark gave me quite different results compared to half a year ago. Worse sequential bandwidth but better IOPS. I assume Spectre patches to cause this. But during test no stutter was noticeable.

My Gaming Mouse offers a special software but it is not installed. Keyboard software from Microsoft is installed and I just updated it to see if anything changes. Nope.
Navity

Postby Navity » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:59 pm

I think I found the problem and assume I solved it.
My primary monitor shows 144Hz, my secondary only 60Hz. Thanks to https://testufo.com/ I could reproduce heavy stuttering whenever both are turned on.
Now I keep one of them turned off whenever folding. This seems to work fine.
I'll also edit the first post.
Navity

Postby foldy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:31 am

Never thought that could happen. Thanks for posting the solution. (Maybe there are bios updates or firmware updates for displays or GPU which could fix that but those updates have a risk if they go wrong.)
foldy

Return to V7.4.4 Public Release Windows/Linux/MacOS X (deprecated)