Run GPU Always

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Run GPU Always

Postby Yavanius » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:23 pm

I cannot seem to locate the appropriate options to have the GPU ALWAYS run. It appears the Idle selector on the Web control is only for CPU and I can't seem to locate anything on the advance controls.

A 1000 results is a bit much to sort through...
Yavanius

Re: Run GPU Always

Postby bruce » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:35 pm

Windows, Linux, or OS-X?

The GPU will run continuously on Linux.

Microsoft limits any Windows GPU to run only when someone is logged in with the Keyboard, Mouse, and Screen.

GPUs are not supported on OS-X (yet?).
bruce

Postby Yavanius » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:56 pm

bruce wrote:Windows, Linux, or OS-X?

The GPU will run continuously on Linux.

Microsoft limits any Windows GPU to run only when someone is logged in with the Keyboard, Mouse, and Screen.

GPUs are not supported on OS-X (yet?).

I'm on Windows.
The GPU work only runs when idle. The client actually says waiting for idle.

Is there no way to have it run while the system is NOT idle? I can't seem to see anything that is telling the client to only run the GPU when idle. For that matter, I can't see anything that specifies what the idle period is.

On the BOINC manager, for instance, you can specify to alway runs the CPU as well as how long to be idle before running work on CPU OR GPU (the GPU can be set independent of the CPU, although there's no way in the >manager< to set for GPU only). For F@H, I'm poking around through the menus and not seeing this nor am I seeing anything in the FAQ or config guide (which could use an update it seems).
Yavanius

Postby Yavanius » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:14 am

Also, I seem to remember in the past that there was some explanation of the (Folding) Power slider. There's no mention of that. Ironically, in the guide it shows the popup menu showing Light-Medium-Full but makes no reference to it. (Actually, aside from saying to open the pop-up menu, there's no reference to THAT either.)
Yavanius

Postby bruce » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:35 am

The idle setting is easy to change using FAHControl. If you have a relatively slow GPU, you may experience "screen lag" when you try to use the mouse/keyboard while FAH is using the GPU. A fast GPU will minimize the irritation but since GPUs don't manage priorities the way an OS does for your CPU, the idle setting is the only dependable way to yield resources to the OS when it wants to make screen updates.
bruce

Postby foldy » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:31 pm

Slider on Light sets GPU to idle only. Medium and Full make GPU always run if "When: While I'm working" is checked.
foldy

Postby Yavanius » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:21 pm

What's difference between medium and full??
Yavanius

Postby Joe_H » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:49 pm

Yavanius wrote:What's difference between medium and full??

If you have not specified an exact value in the configuration for the number of CPU threads to use for processing WU's on a CPU slot, Full uses all threads not reserved for the GPU slot. Medium uses one less thread.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Joe_H
Site Admin

Postby Yavanius » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:34 am

I see said the blind man to the deaf dog...
Yavanius

Postby Joe_H » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:40 am

And for the Light setting, the CPU slot will use half the available threads. I forget how it rounds the number if the calculation results in a fraction.

There is a page on the F@h site that explains this, but I would have to look it back up. My bookmark is still to the old site, and that is no longer accessible.
Joe_H
Site Admin

Return to V7.4.4 Public Release Windows/Linux/MacOS X (deprecated)