GPU slot paused, waiting for access

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

GPU slot paused, waiting for access

Postby BT Dubs » Tue May 29, 2018 3:39 am

Hi,

I used FAH on my old laptop and never had a problem (go team 0!), it only ever showed 1 slot for the i3 cpu.

Now I've got this new to me Thinkpad W520 with Win 7-64, and V7.4.4. It has a i7 processor and Nvidia Quadro 1000M.

On this Thinkpad, FAH Client Advanced Control shows folding slot 00 (cpu) running and has been making progress over the last several days. On folding slot 01, it says Paused:no gpu access for the status. For the description it says gpu:0:GF108 (quadro 1000M).

It seems to recognize the GPU, so I bet I'm all set for drivers.

Is there a way to turn this GPU loose on a WU while I'm not using the display, such as when I'm away from the laptop? Right now, when I'm not using the laptop, it just shows the FAH screen saver, which shows the folding progress of the CPU's WU.

Thanks,

Greg
BT Dubs

Re: GPU slot paused, waiting for access

Postby Joe_H » Tue May 29, 2018 6:51 am

Welcome to the folding support forum.

The client may recognize the GPU, but that is not a clear indication on drivers. They would need to be a relatively recent version of the drivers, and downloaded from nVidia to be certain they include the necessary OpenCL support packages needed for folding.

The default settings for the folding client are to have the GPU paused while the laptop is not idle. That can be overridden, but might not give you successful GPU folding. The Quadro 1000M is at about the bare minimum for GPU folding, and may take full time folding in order to complete current GPU projects within the deadlines. In addition, keeping the laptop within its cooling capabilities may require the system to throttle the CPU, GPU or both.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Joe_H
Site Admin

Re: GPU slot paused, waiting for access

Postby bruce » Tue May 29, 2018 5:36 pm

Joe's answer is a good one. If you need additional help, please post according to the instructions below.
bruce

Return to V7.4.4 Public Release Windows/Linux/MacOS X (deprecated)