F@H as a Scheduled Task

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Mr. Pedantic

F@H as a Scheduled Task

Post by Mr. Pedantic »

Why is it that when I run F@H (the uniprocessor client, GPU client, and SMP client), the application doesn't actually "show up"? Like, it's running, you can tell in the Task Manager that CPU time is being allocated to it, and the FAHlog reports that it's running perfectly fine, but for the SMP client the command prompt window doesn't show up and the systray icons don't come up for the GPU and CPU clients. Can someone tell me why it's like this?
codysluder

Re: F@H as a Scheduled Task

Post by codysluder »

You probably have started the scheduled task under a different user account. If you want to monitor the progress of these tasks, I suggest you install one of the 3rd party monitoring tools such as FahMon.

Much like a service, scheduled tasks will start without you being logged on, so the task cannot assume there's a screen that the client should use to display that it's running.
Last edited by codysluder on Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Most likely the task was created when logged in as Administrator, and then runs as the Administrator user. However, if you log in as a different user, you won't see the programs that run as Administrator.

I use exactly that trick to keep fah out of sight, out of mind.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Mr. Pedantic

Post by Mr. Pedantic »

Yeah, I use Fahspy to monitor my clients (I hate Fahmon, it always freezes and seems really awkward to use), but I was just wondering why. And I've put the clients on under my account, but it's scheduled to run on system startup, not logon. So that may be the reason for it?