FahMon (multi-platform app to monitor various F@h clients)

This forum contains information about 3rd party applications which may be of use to those who run the FAH client and one place where you might be able to get help when using one of those apps.

Moderator: Site Moderators

jrweiss
Hardware configuration: Ryzen 7 5700G, 22.40.46 VGA driver; 32GB G-Skill Trident DDR4-3200; Samsung 860EVO 1TB Boot SSD; VelociRaptor 1TB; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver; BeQuiet FM 550 PSU; Lian Li PC-9F; Win11Pro-64, F@H 8.3.5.

[Suspended] Ryzen 7 3700X, MSI X570MPG, 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600; Corsair MP600 M.2 PCIe Gen4 Boot, Samsung 840EVO-250 SSDs; VelociRaptor 1TB, Raptor 150; MSI GTX 1050ti, 526.98 driver; Kingwin Stryker 500 PSU; Lian Li PC-K7B. Win10Pro-64, F@H 8.3.5.

Re: FahMon (multi-platform app to monitor various F@h clients)

Post by jrweiss »

francois wrote:Update: I was able to find out by myself how to get everything to work properly and have succeeded to compile and install FahMon.
I'm completing a couple of Boinc WUs and will launch F@H and FahMon later today for the first time on the Linux box.
How did you solve the libcurl problem? I'm stuck there even after installing libcurl...
Ryzen 7 5700G, 22.40.46 VGA driver; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver
Ryzen 7 3700X; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver [Suspended]
Tynat

Post by Tynat »

I too have seen FahMon v2.3.99.1 running under WinXP SP2 indicate that either one or both of the paths to the clients are wrong. Upon checking the client's paths, they're filled in with garbage. It appears that FahMon is corrupting parts of it's own preferences, since neither the client or FahMon's install has changed since there respective original installs. I've not had it were I couldn't correct the problem by using the Edit Client function to point FahMon back to the correct client path. After correcting the client path problem, it stays correct for quite awhile.

A more recent and happening more frequent problem is that FahMon is reporting that one or both clients have Hung. The first time this happened both clients were Hung. I restarted FahMon, but that didn't correct the problem. I then restarted both FAH clients and this seemed to fix the problem.

At this very moment, FahMon is reporting that the CPU Console client has Hung, but checking the console shows that the client is progressing normally and that includes FahMon reporting the percentage completed as increasing. Oops, make that both clients are now reported as Hung. There doesn't appear to be anything out of the ordinary in FahMon's Messages Window.

I'm running one CPU Console client and one GPU Console client and both are v6.23. If it matters, the CPU Console client is currently working on Project: 4442 (Run 789, Clone 0, Gen 49) and the GPU Console client is currently working on Project: 5737 (Run 2, Clone 10, Gen 468).

I read that the Hung problem might have something to do with the system clock. I've had the computer's clock synced with Atomic NTP time servers every 3 hours for years and it currently shows the correct time as it was updated 1.5 hours ago. However, we did just go through a time change (lost an hour), and while my computer's clock is accurate, the problem does seem to have cropped up since this time change. I don't know if this is a bi-yearly event as I wasn't running FAH when we last gained an hour.
All clients stopped due to Stanford's upcoming September 2011 decision
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

@Tynat .... a couple of things you could try:

Go into FahMon preferences and click on the monitoring tab ... put a check mark in the box next to ignore asynchronous clocks.

Also, under the system tab ensure the box next to Manually set timezone to UTC is NOT checked.
uncle fuzzy

Post by uncle fuzzy »

I do set my time manually. Both Europe and the US changed to winter/standard time in the past 2 weeks. If your computers displayed time differs from FahMons internal set time, manual or auto, you'll see a hung client, even though it continues to process.
Proud to crash my machines as a Beta Tester!

Tynat

Post by Tynat »

Bingo! The first and only thing I did was remove the check mark from 'Manually set timezone to UTC' and that did the trick. Instantly after clicking the OK button both clients now have green icons. Funny how each client worked for awhile before independently getting Hung at different times.

I don't think it's now necessary, but should I still change 'Ignore asynchronous clocks' under the Monitor tab?

Thanks.
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

I think you can leave 'ignore asynchronous clocks' unchecked. Since you are syncing your computers to the atomic clock they should all have the same time anyway. Glad the other preference 'fixed' your problem. It's okay to use the manually set option but you would have to change the offset when the clocks change in the spring and the fall. IMHO it's easier to just leave it unchecked.
uncle fuzzy

Post by uncle fuzzy »

bollix47 wrote:I think you can leave 'ignore asynchronous clocks' unchecked. Since you are syncing your computers to the atomic clock they should all have the same time anyway. Glad the other preference 'fixed' your problem. It's okay to use the manually set option but you would have to change the offset when the clocks change in the spring and the fall. IMHO it's easier to just leave it unchecked.
I ran into problems when the US changed WHEN they went to and from Daylight Saving Time. My computers also had to be reset. If they including the new offset in an update. I may be able to stop setting them manually.
Proud to crash my machines as a Beta Tester!

Tynat

Post by Tynat »

Will do. Thanks.
DonMarkoni
Hardware configuration: Rig: Asus Rampage III Extreme, i7 990X @ 4.6GHz, Kingston HyperX 6GB 2000MHz @ 7-7-7-20-1T, Gigabyte GTX580 1.5GB @ 1000/2000/4800
Sys: W7x64, GeForce 197.75, SMP2 6.29 fahcore_a2 v2.10 / fahcore_a3 v2.21, SMP2 6.30 fahcore_a3 v2.22, GPU2 6.23 fahcore_11 v1.31 / fahcore_14 v1.26, GPU3 6.30r1 fahcore_15 v2.09

Post by DonMarkoni »

Sduibek wrote:WHy doesn't FahMon save any settings

- window position
- configuration of fields within window
- columns to display

This is really lame and annoying, any help is appreciated thanks
AFAIK, only window position is not saved. Column choice, column width and everything else is saved.
Rig: Rampage IV Extreme, i7-3930K @ 5GHz, AData 4x2GB @ 2400MHz 9-11-9-27-1T, GTX680 Lightning @ 1200/6000
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

What version of Windows? Windows 7 might not play nice, etc.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Sorry, I don't download anything that I don't know where it came from, no offense.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Where did you install FahMon? If the application cannot write to the installation directory, it won't save anything, and Vista/Win7 protect ProgramFiles from unauthorized changes.
k1wi

Post by k1wi »

Personally, I'd never even notice if it did or did not save where I put the windows, I rarely close the thing :P
Tynat

Post by Tynat »

Well that could have been put into a code box. ;)

Anyway, here FahMon saves the window size, location and "Work Unit Information" panel width. What it doesn't save by default is the size of the new columns that were recently added. I can spread them apart and the next time FahMon opens all the new columns are completely collapsed. BTW, most of the new column information is redundant and can be found in the "Work Unit Information" panel.

The trick to getting the columns to save is that they have to be activated and not just spread apart. You could say that there is a bug which doesn't hide a column when the column is inactivated (unchecked). So, to save the columns you have to right-click on any column, and then "activate" it, then spread it apart. Or spread it apart and then "activate" it. Either way, the next time you open FahMon, the columns should all be saved.
Tynat

Post by Tynat »

Sduibek wrote:Also there's an asterisk next to the PPD listing for my GPU client what does that mean?
Read this here.