HFM.NET - Monitoring Application for Folding@Home v7

This forum contains information about 3rd party applications which may be of use to those who run the FAH client and one place where you might be able to get help when using one of those apps.

Moderator: Site Moderators

cichlid

Re: HFM.NET - Client Monitoring Application for Folding@Home

Post by cichlid »

Hi,

Hoping this in not a really dumb question.

I have just installed HFM installed on a native UBUNTU 9.04 machine. When I minimise the HFM window, I can't manage to find it again so I can return it to the desktop.

Perhaps relevant, I noticed that when I subsequently installed HFM on a Windows 7 laptop, when I minimize the window It goes to the taskbar, but is a hidden Icon by default, and needs to be set to be visible.

Wondering how to work it in ubuntu. Seems like a nice app.

Thanks
harlam357

Post by harlam357 »

New Version: 0.4.5 - Revision 97 - Beta - Download (MSI) Download (Zip)

---

- For International Users that experienced the issue in v0.4.2.92 with Work Unit Credit being shown as 100 times (x 100) its correct value, please upgrade to this version to correct the problem along with the next instruction.

- Before starting v0.4.5.97, please go to the HFM.NET Application Data Folder and delete the ProjectInfo.tab file. Project Information will redownload correctly upon startup. If you do not delete the ProjectInfo.tab file, the issue will persist.

* HFM.NET Application Data Folder (example locations)

- Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\HFM

- Vista / Windows 7: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\HFM

Need help with HFM? Have a Feature Request? Please Join the Discussions. Post in the HFM Google Group.

http://groups.google.com/group/hfm-net
harlam357

Post by harlam357 »

New Version: 0.4.6 - Revision 99 - Beta - Download (MSI) Download (Zip)

---

Need help with HFM? Have a Feature Request? Please Join the Discussions. Post in the HFM Google Group.

http://groups.google.com/group/hfm-net
MtM
Hardware configuration: Q6600 - 8gb - p5q deluxe - gtx275 - hd4350 ( not folding ) win7 x64 - smp:4 - gpu slot
E6600 - 4gb - p5wdh deluxe - 9600gt - 9600gso - win7 x64 - smp:2 - 2 gpu slots
E2160 - 2gb - ?? - onboard gpu - win7 x32 - 2 uniprocessor slots
T5450 - 4gb - ?? - 8600M GT 512 ( DDR2 ) - win7 x64 - smp:2 - gpu slot

Post by MtM »

I am joining the GG ( as soon as I recover my google login info :lol: )..

Haven't folded in some time but I'm not gone forever :)
harlam357

Post by harlam357 »

Hey Mtm, good to see you. How's your rewrite of MaxFah in C# coming along?
MtM
Hardware configuration: Q6600 - 8gb - p5q deluxe - gtx275 - hd4350 ( not folding ) win7 x64 - smp:4 - gpu slot
E6600 - 4gb - p5wdh deluxe - 9600gt - 9600gso - win7 x64 - smp:2 - 2 gpu slots
E2160 - 2gb - ?? - onboard gpu - win7 x32 - 2 uniprocessor slots
T5450 - 4gb - ?? - 8600M GT 512 ( DDR2 ) - win7 x64 - smp:2 - gpu slot

Post by MtM »

maxFah is dead, long live HFM.net :)

But, everything except the monitoring is getting along nicely running on mono, next month I'll have an 50/5mbit line at home, I got a surprise planned. Taking hfm.net as a base, I been adding some of the features from maxFah to your code base ( though I'm obviously not using the latest svn atm, I'll worry about that when the injection is finished ). Two routes I can take, haven't decided, one I make something which runs alongside HFM.net, or I can release something like memtest86+ was compared to memtest86, a seperate side branch. Side branch does allow integration of features in one user interface.

Btw, I got a 'request' from someone who likes HFM allot but he would enjoy an easier xml or csv export instead of an html page. Maybe something you could do?

I saw your post in the thread of jscofland, happy to see both his offer for input and the fact that people take the opportunity given and state their wishes!

For 3rd party devs, this looks like a good time :)
bruce

Post by bruce »

Bug Report: Version 99

HFM reports "No Log Available" and other data is missing for that client. This is for the ProtoMol core which has just been released as "advmethods" projects. . . and the log file is unusual enough to be difficult to parse.

Code: Select all

[12/21/2009-12:54:24 PM] ! HFM.Instances.LogLine..ctor Threw Exception: Failed to parse Frame Data from '[04:06:42] Completed 266500 out of 1000000 steps (26%)'
[12/21/2009-12:54:24 PM] ! HFM.Instances.LogLine..ctor Threw Exception: Failed to parse Frame Data from '[07:46:48] Completed 338800 out of 1000000 steps (33%)'
[12/21/2009-12:54:24 PM] X HFM.Instances.ClientInstance.Retrieve (FAH1) Threw Exception: Could not find a Unit Start Index.
[12/21/2009-12:54:24 PM] - HFM.Instances.ClientInstance.Retrieve (FAH1) Client Status: Offline
rhavern

Post by rhavern »

cichlid wrote:Hi,

Hoping this in not a really dumb question.

I have just installed HFM installed on a native UBUNTU 9.04 machine. When I minimise the HFM window, I can't manage to find it again so I can return it to the desktop.

Perhaps relevant, I noticed that when I subsequently installed HFM on a Windows 7 laptop, when I minimize the window It goes to the taskbar, but is a hidden Icon by default, and needs to be set to be visible.

Wondering how to work it in ubuntu. Seems like a nice app.

Thanks
Did you ever find an answer for this question? I've got a me too.
Folding since 1 WU=1 point
ImageImage
harlam357

Post by harlam357 »

@MtM - YGPM.

@bruce - you still having this issue with the latest 0.4.7 build? If you see it again, please send me the FAHlog.txt, unitinfo.txt, and queue.dat files for that client. (harlam357 at gmail)

@rhaven - I have not yet. I've got an Issue entered on this and I've added it to my list of v0.5.0 milestone Issues. I will attempt to solve it in the releases up to v0.5.0. The best option I can think of right now is giving the user an option to "show in taskbar" or "show in system tray". That way it could be configured either way depending on the environment, and I don't have to worry about complying with the many different linux desktops available.
muziqaz
Hardware configuration: 7950x3D, 5950x, 5800x3D, 3900x
7900xtx, Radeon 7, 5700xt, 6900xt, RX 550 640SP

Post by muziqaz »

Sorry uncle Fungus, I have sinned :D Just replaced fahmon with hfm. I have to say, very nice application. Does not go far from familiar fahmon interface. Would be great if i could just import all the benchmark data from fahmon to hfm, and I would be set ;)
Great Job! :)
FAH Beta tester
rhavern

Post by rhavern »

Okay, one more question and I'll be happy with how HFM works :)

I'm setting up the email notification on a couple of hosts, works fine on one, gives me this error on another

[04/01/2010-20:17:40] ! HFM.Helpers.NetworkOps.SendEmail Threw Exception: Server does not support secure connections.
[04/01/2010-20:17:40] ! HFM.Forms.frmPreferences.btnTestEmail_Click Threw Exception: The SMTP server requires a secure connection or the client was not authenticated. The server response was: 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. p10sm48772886gvf.28
[04/01/2010-20:21:50] ! HFM.Helpers.NetworkOps.SendEmail Threw Exception: Server does not support secure connections.
[04/01/2010-20:21:50] ! HFM.Forms.frmPreferences.btnTestEmail_Click Threw Exception: The SMTP server requires a secure connection or the client was not authenticated. The server response was: 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. i35sm49305985gve.26
Now I've used the same SMTP server and user/password combination on both instances (and checked my password). On the failing one, I've turned off the windows firewall, no change. The hardware firewall in front of it is the same type as the working one, but not the same one. All outbound traffic is permitted and the replies are statefully accepted on both working and non-working. I can telnet on port 25 to the SMTP server fine from the failing host. I'm running out of ideas. I'm running v0.4.7 on WinXP-32 bit.
ImageImage
rbpeake
Hardware configuration: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor E8500, dual 3.16GHz cores, 6MB L2 Cache, 1333MHz FSB (45nm); 4096MB Corsair™ XMS2 DDR2-800 RAM; 256MB eVGA™ NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8600 GT Video Card

Post by rbpeake »

Maybe it says elsewhere, but am I correct in assuming that leaving HFM minimized uses next to nothing in terms of resources?

Thanks!
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

rbpeake wrote:Maybe it says elsewhere, but am I correct in assuming that leaving HFM minimized uses next to nothing in terms of resources?
Looking at Task Manager, it seems to use next to nothing in terms of resources when open. Not sure minimizing it saves much, if anything.
harlam357

Post by harlam357 »

rhavern wrote:Okay, one more question and I'll be happy with how HFM works :)

I'm setting up the email notification on a couple of hosts, works fine on one, gives me this error on another

[04/01/2010-20:17:40] ! HFM.Helpers.NetworkOps.SendEmail Threw Exception: Server does not support secure connections.
[04/01/2010-20:17:40] ! HFM.Forms.frmPreferences.btnTestEmail_Click Threw Exception: The SMTP server requires a secure connection or the client was not authenticated. The server response was: 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. p10sm48772886gvf.28
[04/01/2010-20:21:50] ! HFM.Helpers.NetworkOps.SendEmail Threw Exception: Server does not support secure connections.
[04/01/2010-20:21:50] ! HFM.Forms.frmPreferences.btnTestEmail_Click Threw Exception: The SMTP server requires a secure connection or the client was not authenticated. The server response was: 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. i35sm49305985gve.26
Now I've used the same SMTP server and user/password combination on both instances (and checked my password). On the failing one, I've turned off the windows firewall, no change. The hardware firewall in front of it is the same type as the working one, but not the same one. All outbound traffic is permitted and the replies are statefully accepted on both working and non-working. I can telnet on port 25 to the SMTP server fine from the failing host. I'm running out of ideas. I'm running v0.4.7 on WinXP-32 bit.
Ok, I'll look into these error messages and see what I discover. The email commands are very simple in .NET but perhaps I need to expose further options. Specifying secure and non-secure connections and specifying port number would be two that come right off the top of my head. Now, just at first glance, I see the error messages say that one server does not support secure connections, while the other says it requires a secure connection. Does that make any sense to you with your setup? The firewall or something else in between blocking the secure connection?
rbpeake wrote:Maybe it says elsewhere, but am I correct in assuming that leaving HFM minimized uses next to nothing in terms of resources?

Thanks!
The term resources is so very relative. You can assume this, HFM uses more memory than FahMon. What you cannot use as a benchmark in Windows XP is the amount of memory reported as being used by Task Manager. Vista and Windows 7 show a completely different (and more correct) number. Here's an excellent discussion at stack overflow that dives into the nuts and bolts of the issue.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2525 ... sk-manager

What I can tell you is this. I've been running HFM 24x7 for the last 5 days and it's used 24 minutes of CPU time. This includes generating HTML Pages and Uploading them to a web server as well - which are "extra" processes that I'm sure not everyone uses. Based on that benchmark - Yes - I feel that HFM uses "next to nothing" in terms of resources.
rhavern

Post by rhavern »

harlam357 wrote:
rhavern wrote:Okay, one more question and I'll be happy with how HFM works :)

Ok, I'll look into these error messages and see what I discover. The email commands are very simple in .NET but perhaps I need to expose further options. Specifying secure and non-secure connections and specifying port number would be two that come right off the top of my head. Now, just at first glance, I see the error messages say that one server does not support secure connections, while the other says it requires a secure connection. Does that make any sense to you with your setup? The firewall or something else in between blocking the secure connection?
The logs I included are both from the failing host and are to the same SMTP server. Both the working and non-working are communicating to the same SMTP host but through different firewalls. The firewalls in question are the same brand and configured very similarly, in that all outbound traffic is permitted and all replies are permitted.
ImageImage