Unable to get new work-Invalid address [0.0.0.0]

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Unable to get new work-Invalid address [0.0.0.0]

Postby JAMES_M_SARIBALIS » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:13 am

After having successfully uploading my last completed work unit abt 1 week ago I began getting the statement in the subject line on my log. I don't hve a firewall and nothing on the computer has been changed. In the past I hve lost my work when my computer would occasionally lock up and I had to reboot the same. I hve read that support for Win98SE has been discontinued. So does that mean that I will not longer be able to run this OS on Folding@home ? I am using Version 4 of your software.

I know this is the wrong forum for this part of my problem, but after uploading a completed work unit from my laptop which is running Win XP and Version 5.03 of the software yesterday, I am experiencing the same symptoms.

Any assistance or suggestions you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

James
JAMES_M_SARIBALIS

Re: Unable to get new work-Invalid address [0.0.0.0]

Postby P5-133XL » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:23 am

I can't remember if it was v. 5 that instituted Big WU's and RAM limitations so I can't tell you if this will work or not. However, Stanford has been lacking in low ram WU's recently. If you can reconfigure your machine with >511MB ram and big WU's which has worked for others with the inability to get WU's recently.
P5-133XL

Postby bruce » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:54 pm

FAH has been short of WUs to assign and new projects are being prepared for release. Older clients receive a more restricted set of choices, though, so if it's possible to upgrade to a new client, you should do that.

V4 has a more restricted memory memory limitation than v6. I know V5 expanded it somewhat over v4, but it may still be more limited than v6 -- I don't remember either.
Some projects that use specific FahCore's can only be assigned if you're running a later client version.
bruce

Postby Furiey » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:03 pm

I used v5 on my Win ME box when I had the same problem as this. It ran with v5 with no problem (better recovery if the computer locked up as well) until I eventually replaced ME with XP. It may be worth trying v5 if you can't get any work otherwise. This PC is only a 1.7GHz P4 with 512MB RAM so nothing spectacular, I didn't select the option for big work units which you get in v5.
Furiey

Postby codysluder » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:17 am

If your OS can support V6 (such a Windows XP or later) then do not try v5. V6 can do any of the projects that V5 can do, plus some others. If you have an OS that cannot run V6 (such as WIndows 2000) you can run many of the projects with V5. If your OS will not run V5, then V4 is your only choice.
codysluder

Return to Older Windows (98,ME only) client v4.x