GPU2 crashed by nVidia's Stereoscopic 3D Driver?

Moderators: slegrand, Site Moderators, PandeGroup

GPU2 crashed by nVidia's Stereoscopic 3D Driver?

Postby art_l_j_PlanetAMD64 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:25 pm

I have just finished getting my #1 system (#1 of my 19 Folding@Home computers) back online after a series of ever-more serious system crashes, which eventually resulted in my #1 system becoming unbootable.

Well, being a long-time Windows sufferer (Oops, I mean Windows user), I have set up all of my systems to have a separate 'Data Partition', so reformatting my Windows partition and re-installing Windows there is (relatively speaking) no big deal.

Fortunately, I was able to save the entire state of my Folding@Home clients, 1 CPU v6.23 client and 2 GPU2 v6.23 systray clients, before the system became unbootable. I also saved the Windows 'Application Log' and the Windows 'System Log', which I believe contain an important clue to the cause of these serious crashes. I will describe this important clue, after I describe my #1 computer in detail.

Folding Machine #1:

Hardware List:
    CPU: AMD Phenom II Black Edition X4 Quad-Core 965 3.4 GHz (AM3)
    MB: ASUS M4A79T Deluxe
    RAM: 4GB DDR3, 1333MHz (Kingston KVR1333D3N9K2/4G)
    HDD: 1.0TB (2 x 500GB, Western Digital WD5000AADS-00S9B0)
    DVD: LG Super Multi HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50
    GPU0: EVGA GeForce GTX 285 648MHZ 1GB 2.484GHZ DDR3
    GPU1: MSI N285GTX SuperPipe OC, 680MHz Core, 1 GB GDDR3 2500MHz Memory
    Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro
    Speakers: Creative Inspire 5.1 Digital 5500
    PSU: Silverstone OP Series 1000 Watt, OP1000-Evolution

Software List (all software is completely up-to-date):
    Adobe Reader v9.3.2
    CCleaner v2.32
    Creative MediaSource 5 v5.26
    Folding@home-gpu v6.23
    Folding@home-x86 v6.23
    InfraRecorder v0.50
    Microsoft Security Essentials v1.0.1961.0
    Mozilla Firefox v3.6 (en-US)
    Mozilla Thunderbird v3.0 (en-US)
    NVIDIA Display Control Panel v6.14.11.9745
    NVIDIA Drivers v1.10.59.37
    NVIDIA PhysX v9.10.0129
    Speccy v1.01
    Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin v1.0.0.8

Now, I have saved two complete 'machine states', each of which contains the following:
    - the complete ...\Roaming\Folding@home-x86 directory (with all contents)
    - the complete ...\Roaming\Folding@home-gpu0 directory (with all contents)
    - the complete ...\Roaming\Folding@home-gpu1 directory (with all contents)
    - the Windows 'Application Log' Event file (ApplicationLog.evtx)
    - the Windows 'System Log' Event file (SystemLog.evtx)

These 'machine state' zip files are quite large (5,344 KB and 13,114 KB), so I have uploaded them to my Hotfile account. You can download these two 'machine state' zip files by clicking on these links:
http://hotfile.com/dl/46806067/b993868/Errors_2010Jun06_0429Z.zip.html
http://hotfile.com/dl/46806526/7393918/Errors_2010Jun06_1543Z.zip.html

Now, the 'important clue' that I talked about earlier, is this System Event:
Event 7016, Service Control Manager
Log Name: System
Source: Service Control Manager
Logged: 06/06/2010 8:07:34 AM (= 06/06/2010 15:07:34 UTC)
Event ID: 7016
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Johnson-office1
OpCode: Info
The NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D Driver Service service has reported an invalid current state 0.

I was wondering, why the 'NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D Driver Service' was being used at all. I certainly did not need it, and it was having trouble, according to the event in the System Log.

I thought: 'Maybe, this is what is causing the crashes of my #1 system'.

Even after reformatting the Windows partition on the hard disk and reinstalling Windows and all applications, I found that running the two GPU2 systray clients would disrupt the operation of the sound card (I use the Creative MediaSource 5 application to listen to music when I am at my #1 computer). Every time that I started the two GPU2 systray clients, the music would stop, then play for a bit, then stop, then play, over and over again. The computer would also become 'unresponsive', taking a very long time to do even very simple tasks.

So, I used CCleaner to uninstall the NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D Driver, and then I rebooted my #1 system.

Since then, there have been absolutely no hiccups, crashes, or other 'strange' events of any kind.

Those of you who know how to analyze these things, can have a look at the data in the two 'machine state' zip files, that I have provided download links for above.

For me, uninstalling the NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D Driver has certainly fixed the crashing problem in my #1 system. Before I uninstalled it, the GPU2 systray clients would run only a few seconds before 'strange things' started happening. After uninstalling the NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D Driver, my #1 system and the two GPU2 systray clients have been running flawlessly for over an hour now, with (as I said above) absolutely no hiccups, crashes, or other 'strange' events of any kind.

That's good enough for me! :)

Best regards,
Art
art_l_j_PlanetAMD64
Over 1.04 Billion Total Points
Over 185,000 Work Units
Over 3,800,000 PPD
Overall rank (if points are combined) 20 of 1721690
In memory of my Mother May 12th 1923 - February 10th 2012
art_l_j_PlanetAMD64

Re: GPU2 crashed by nVidia's Stereoscopic 3D Driver?

Postby art_l_j_PlanetAMD64 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:01 pm

UPDATE: My #1 system has operated flawlessly for over 17 hours now, with absolutely no hiccups, crashes, or other 'strange' events of any kind.

So, it seems like uninstalling the NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D Driver has definitely fixed the problem with the GPU2 systray client crashing my computer.

I have now uninstalled the NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D Driver from all of my 19 Folding@Home computers. Since doing this, none of my computers has shown the slightest signs of instability, 'unresponsiveness', or GPU2 systray clients freezing or crashing.

As a fellow member at the PlanetAMD64 site said, in response to my Topic "Folding@Home 'b4' core problems, It won't quit!":
My hunch is it [the cause of the 'b4' core crashing] will be a video driver bug that's being tripped on by the f@h core. Something along the lines of causing an exception that isn't properly handled in the driver code.

I think that this is quite likely to be the true cause of the 'apparent' b4 core crashes that I have seen here.

NOTE: I have also created a Topic in the 'Windows v6.23 Classic (Uniprocessor) Client' Forum here, on the subject "Folding@Home 'b4' core problems, It won't quit!" I am cross-posting this information there, as I believe it to be relevant to that discussion.

Art
art_l_j_PlanetAMD64

Postby art_l_j_PlanetAMD64 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:30 pm

Just a caveat, that every time you install the latest nVidia driver (currently version 197.45), the NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D Driver is installed automatically.

Therefore, you must then manually uninstall the NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D Driver after every installation of an nVidia driver (I use CCleaner, but the Windows 'Add/Remove Programs' function can also be used).

Art
art_l_j_PlanetAMD64

Postby PantherX » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:26 pm

From your posts, I understand that with the 3D Driver, your Classic Client and GPU2 Client cause the system to crash. I have installed the 197.45 Drivers and I was able to fold over 450+ WU on the GPU2 Systray Client and now I am running GPU3 BETA Console and finished 129 WUs without any problems. AFAIK, the 197.45 Drivers aren't any cause of problems for the GPU Clients. However I have upgraded from Classic Client to SMP2 Client but I did take part in the ProtoMol testing late last year and didn't have any problems then. This may not be of any use but once when I assembled a new system but it was never able to stay in windows for more then a few minutes. Later, I found that the Sound Card was the culprit and after removing the Sound card, everything went back to normal. Note that at that time, I wasn't folding.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Chrome Folding App (Beta) Ӂ Troubleshooting "Bad WUs" Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby art_l_j_PlanetAMD64 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:20 pm

PantherX wrote:From your posts, I understand that with the 3D Driver, your Classic Client and GPU2 Client cause the system to crash. I have installed the 197.45 Drivers and I was able to fold over 450+ WU on the GPU2 Systray Client and now I am running GPU3 BETA Console and finished 129 WUs without any problems. AFAIK, the 197.45 Drivers aren't any cause of problems for the GPU Clients. However I have upgraded from Classic Client to SMP2 Client but I did take part in the ProtoMol testing late last year and didn't have any problems then. This may not be of any use but once when I assembled a new system but it was never able to stay in windows for more then a few minutes. Later, I found that the Sound Card was the culprit and after removing the Sound card, everything went back to normal. Note that at that time, I wasn't folding.

Hi, and thanks for your response.

This behavior was new to me as well, as I have had 18 GPU2 systray clients running for some time, with no problems caused by the NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D Driver Service. This behavior (crashing my system and making it unbootable) has only happened once, on this one computer.

I do believe that the evidence I have described here is quite compelling, however, in making the case that the NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D Driver Service is the 'culprit' that caused all of the problems in my #1 computer.

I have also completed 30,619 Work Units as of right now, 1:15pm PDT June 8th 2010, so there is a greater probability that something that happens only rarely will occur in one of my systems here.

My #1 computer, which has dual GTX 285 GPUs, is my fastest one at completing GPU2 Work Units, so it (of course) has the highest probability of 'catching' some problem that happens only rarely.

I do realize, however, that this empirical evidence is not absolute proof that the NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D Driver Service is the guilty party.

I am hoping that the experts here can tell us if my assumption about the 'guilt' of the NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D Driver Service is justified.

Because I do not need the NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D Driver Service for any purpose in any of my 19 Folding@Home computers, I have uninstalled it everywhere, just as a safety precaution.

To me, it does not matter if it turns out that the NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D Driver Service is not truly the 'guilty party', I will continue to uninstall it in all of my computers here.

Best regards,
Art
art_l_j_PlanetAMD64

Postby bruce » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:32 am

art_l_j_PlanetAMD64 wrote:This behavior was new to me as well, as I have had 18 GPU2 systray clients running for some time, with no problems caused by the NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D Driver Service. This behavior (crashing my system and making it unbootable) has only happened once, on this one computer.

If it was the 3D driver, as you suspect, and if the computer became unbootable, then you're not talking about some kind of interaction between the driver and FAH. FAH doesn't actually start processing until the boot sequence is essentially completed. It sounds like you'd have better luck dealing with the issues on the NVidia website and leave FAH out of it.
bruce

Postby art_l_j_PlanetAMD64 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:07 am

bruce wrote:If it was the 3D driver, as you suspect, and if the computer became unbootable, then you're not talking about some kind of interaction between the driver and FAH. FAH doesn't actually start processing until the boot sequence is essentially completed. It sounds like you'd have better luck dealing with the issues on the NVidia website and leave FAH out of it.

I agree with you 100%.

What I said, was that the crashes which caused my system to become unbootable appeared to be caused by some problem with the 'NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D Driver Service'.

This was for information only, as I was not saying, either explicitly or implicitly, that the problem was caused by the GPU2 systray client. I was not 'blaming' the Folding@Home software for this problem.

My intent in Posting this information here, is to (hopefully) help others who may experience this problem, so that they can 'fix' their machines, and so that they will realize that the Folding@Home GPU2 systray client software is not to be 'blamed' for the problems with their computer.

Again, I did not say that there was any problem with the GPU2 systray client software. The problem was, in my opinion, 100% the 'fault' of the 'NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D Driver Service'.

Best regards,
Art
art_l_j_PlanetAMD64

Postby NvidiaLady » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:56 pm

Hey! Well aware that I'm posting in an older thread, but I'm glad that someone finally brought up this issue. Ever since installing my own nVidia Stereoscopic 3D driver a few months back, I had been experiencing many of the same issues as you. One of my two screens would blank out, the computer would freeze, etc. etc. Many problems occurred until I decided to uninstall the driver and reformat my hard drive. Yes, I had to reformat my computer. I'm a PC user myself.

It's a shame I even had to deal with this matter. The 3D drivers were actually working quite well when they DID work. As someone creates rapid prototypes, I often work in 3D programs like Maya, AutoCAD and 3D studio max.

So, I gotta ask . . .has anyone here managed to figure out WHY this driver causes so many problems? Thanks, folks!
NvidiaLady
If you're gonna work on rapid prototypes, then you need a working computer.
NvidiaLady

Return to NVIDIA specific issues