Is Big advance ever coming back to Native Linux....

The most demanding Projects are only available to a small percentage of very high-end servers.

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

unable to pick up any bigadv projects

Postby coorsleftfield » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:17 pm

I recently started folding on two large machines (dual socket Xeon X5570). Running with -bigadv -smp 8 Both machines have been at it for about 4 days without either of them receiving a bigadv unit. My passkey is in place , and I'm running version 6.29 on Linux x86_64. Are bigadv work unit just really rare these days?

Worth noting that the machines are running ESXi, and there are large (8cpu) VMs created on each where the FAH client is actually running.
coorsleftfield

Re: unable to pick up any bigadv projects

Postby Tobit » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:33 pm

Unfortunately, bigadv hasn't been available for Linux for a few months due to a GROMACS bug in the current core PG is using. If you can switch to the Windows client, that will be your only way to run bigadv for now.
Tobit

Postby 7im » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:47 pm

It will also perform very well running regular SMP work units, very quickly. Points aren't quite as high, but the slight decrease in PPD isn't always worth changing over the OS. Another option is to fire up a VM.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby coorsleftfield » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:43 pm

Thanks for the info, that explains it. I'll build a windows VM and see how the performance is.
coorsleftfield

Postby Nathan_P » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:46 pm

coorsleftfield wrote:Thanks for the info, that explains it. I'll build a windows VM and see how the performance is.

If each machine has dual x5570's, make sure HT is on and set -smp16. Hyper threading is good for a serious boost in production
Nathan_P

Postby linuxfah » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:33 am

You can also simply launch the Windows client via Wine in Linux and run bigadv that way.
linuxfah

Is Big advance ever coming back to Native Linux....

Postby bishoptf » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:59 pm

I know, I know you can run it on wine, etc...but just seems like a waste to have a 16 core machine and not be able to do anything other than standard work units...I have a personal involvement in helping just seems like a waste right now......*rant off* :)
bishoptf

Re: Is Big advance ever coming back to Native Linux....

Postby patonb » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:05 pm

Others are running bigadvance under wine. Aren't they??
WooHoo = L5639 @ 3.3Ghz Evga SR-2 6x2gb Corsair XMS3 CM 212+ Corsair 1050hx Blackhawk Ultra EVGA 560ti

Foldie = i7 950@ 4.0Ghz x58a-ud3r 216-216 @ 850/2000 3x2gb OCZ Gold NH-u12 Heatsink Corsair hx520 Antec 900
patonb

Postby 7im » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:21 pm

Standard SMP contributions are never a waste.

If you're serious about running -bigadv, Wine it, or run a VM with Windows, or switch to Windows, or wait patiently for it to be resolved. ;)
7im

Postby bishoptf » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:35 pm

7im wrote:Standard SMP contributions are never a waste.

If you're serious about running -bigadv, Wine it, or run a VM with Windows, or switch to Windows, or wait patiently for it to be resolved. ;)

Thanks, hmmm patience, not one of my strong points, watching one of your parents wither from one of these diseases tends to not make you want to be patient...;) I have been waiting patiently since when they stopped working which has been almost a year, one more question are they trying to find a solution for Linux or are they satisfied with just staying with windows...was just wondering if it is actually getting worked so I can determine where to focus my activity.
bishoptf

Postby patonb » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:01 pm

I highly doubt they are forgetting about the *nix option, when they want servers to run them, aka 2 plus cpus, and *nix is the best way to get the os to us lowly non rich folders.
patonb

Postby 7im » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:45 pm

PG has posted that this is one of their top priorities. But my guess is that it's more just a programming issue, or a problem with the Gromacs code that FAH is based upon. IMO, there's gotta be something more to it. That plus a v7 client, GPU3, OpenCL so they can do ATI GPU3, etc. And since regular SMP still works, i'd guess it won't become a first priority until some of this other stuff settles out a bit. The saying goes... if it were an easy fix, it would have been fixed by now. ;)
7im

Postby linuxfah » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:46 am

How about re-enabling Core A2 for a while for Linux and leave A3 for Windows? A2 worked okay with bigadv in Linux. I think Linux bigadv could be beneficial to the project with systems that have four or more sockets as Windows server operating systems are costly.
linuxfah

Postby PantherX » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:01 am

FahCore_a2 has been deprecated so there are no more Projects for it. Furthermore, there is a huge difference in the way FahCore_a2 and FahCore_a3 functions so shifting projects between them is a waste of resources.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Chrome Folding App (Beta) Ӂ Troubleshooting "Bad WUs" Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby kyleb » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:24 am

I am currently testing version 2.27 of the A3 linux64 core. I believe this core should solve the remaing Linux Bigadv issues. Once testing is complete, we should be able to enable bigadv on linux.
kyleb
Pande Group Member

Next

Return to SMP with bigadv