OSX Pop-up on finder every 10 seconds

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Wildman496

OSX Pop-up on finder every 10 seconds

Post by Wildman496 »

Hello,

I had installed the original F@H folders for OSX(I'm on 10.7.3 on a late 2008 macbook) but there was no CPU usage so I browsed and saw that there was a beta that some said worked better and installed it. It was running fine but then I deleted the old F@H folders and I kept getting massive CPU usage (after deleting) even when I closed the beta, so I deleted the beta as well. I know now that I did not delete it properly so I apologize for now having to ask you to help me out for my own mistake.

Since I deleted it, every 2-10 seconds a pop up appears in finder and disrupts whatever program is open and doesn't allow me to use finder unless I close it, in which case it pops back up again within 2-10 seconds. It says "//Applications/fahclient.app/Contents/MacOS/FAHClient missing, moved or not executable, please reinstall."

I've tried deleting everything I could find with F@H, I reinstalled all the programs I had uninstalled and then tried deleting them the proper way and I used Onyx to find the files that I might not be able to with Finder and deleted those as well(on top of fixing all my drives and clearing caches etc). I've restarted finder a few times and I restarted my computer a few times. Been at this for a few hours but I'm out of ideas and technical skill(I'm basically a computer illiterate!)

If anybody could please help me out here, I'd really appreciate it. This is making it incredibly difficult to use my computer.

Image of pop up:
bruce

Re: OSX Pop-up on finder every 10 seconds

Post by bruce »

On the bottom of the V7 install page there is an OSX Uninstaller which should allow you to clear the problem.

I have not tested it under similar conditions. Let us know if it works.
Ravage7779

Post by Ravage7779 »

Uninstaller works like a charm. There needs to be a warning right under the download link to not uninstall this by normal means as it is not a normal app, and to use the uninstaller. If you do not, you get the exact problem this user is experiencing, and it's a real pita to fix.

I would even go as far to say that the uninstaller package be included with the installer and dumped on the desktop with a readme file explaining what it is, why it should be used, and to be put wherever the user likes for future removal of fah.
Get more Mac OS X folding help from the friendly experts @ http://www.foldingathome.org/index.html
Wildman496

Post by Wildman496 »

Many apologies, I actually found a thread describing my problem right after posting(I know, should've looked more carefully! >_<) where there was an answer from "Joe_H"(can't post URLs yet)
From the Applications folder remove fahclient, FAHControl and fahviewer apps.

In the Finder under the "Go" menu use the "Go to Folder" or use Command-shift-G and enter /usr/bin in the pop-up window. Move the following items to the Trash - FAHClient, FAHControl, FAHCoreWrapper and FAHViewer. Be careful not to move or delete any other files in this folder, they are system files.

Go to the Library folder on your startup disk. From the folder "LaunchDaemons" move the file FAHClient.plist to the trash.

Restart your Mac, that should clear out everything that needs to be taken off so version 7.1.43 no longer tries to start.
This worked perfectly so I wasn't able to try the uninstall(though Ravage said that works great too^^) Very sorry but thanks a lot for the help. I'll be sure to look at the install page more carefully if I ever get issues in the future.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Happy my directions proved useful. Though I posted them before the Uninstaller became available and my instructions apply only to the version 7.1.43 install. The Uninstaller should be more useful as it removes different versions from the various locations that have been used. Though why it includes V5 I don't know. That would have only been used on a PPC Mac, must have been for the sake of completeness.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Ravage7779

Post by Ravage7779 »

Calxalot is nothing if not thorough.
Get more Mac OS X folding help from the friendly experts @ http://www.foldingathome.org/index.html