Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

momus_98
Hardware configuration: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core Processor
AMD Radeon RX 570 Series
32GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro

Now, it's personal

Post by momus_98 »

I've been folding since 2002, determined to help the Pande Group do its research and support science in general.

Now, the very disease for which I am folding has hit home. My Mom was recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's. As you wish, AD, but this battle just got personal and I'm going to burn my rig to the ground crunching work units if that's what it takes to find a cure. :evil:
"The points don't matter. The points are like a $20 bill that Tiger Woods finds in a jacket he hasn't worn in awhile." - Drew Carey, Whose Line is it Anyway?
Magic Michael
Hardware configuration: 1. 2x E5520 @2.27 GHz with 6x 4GB Reg ECC RAM and 1x Geforce GTX 660ti. Windoze -smp 12 and -gpu
2. 2x E5620 @2.53 GHz 16GB Reg ECC RAM. Debian Linux with -smp 16
3. the occasional borg

Re: Now, it's personal

Post by Magic Michael »

Best of luck for your mom !

... and have a look at these statistics: http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=21190
Looks like the fight against Alzheimers is fought with GPUs, so use your money / energy accordingly :idea:
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

Welcome to the Folding@home support forum momus_98,
I am truly sorry to hear that. Impressive that you've been here for so long! I wish you the best of luck with your mother and I hope to see your recruiting others into Folding@home. *pushes throttle all the way forward*

You can see some of the Pande Group's progress in Alzheimer's here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F@H#Alzheimer.27s_disease which has more details than in the Diseases FAQ if you are interested.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
momus_98
AMD Radeon RX 570 Series
32GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro

Post by momus_98 »

Magic Michael wrote:Best of luck for your mom !

Looks like the fight against Alzheimers is fought with GPUs, so use your money / energy accordingly
Thanks. After a bit of trial and tribulation, I got the latest "slot" version of F@H to work properly (my rig kept shutting down) and am putting both my GPU & my quad CPU to work. I don't have the latest GPU, but I do return work units in less than a day so I'm holding my own.
"The points don't matter. The points are like a $20 bill that Tiger Woods finds in a jacket he hasn't worn in awhile." - Drew Carey, Whose Line is it Anyway?
beer

Post by beer »

#Magic Michael those statistics is only for the last 3 month and I can also inform that lately the gpu has got only 8031-8034
#momus_98 Sorry to here that about you mother. Hopeing that folding@home will get some usefull result in the future so it can help you mother to live longer. you also might find http://folding.typepad.com/news/2012/03 ... sease.html interested.
momus_98
AMD Radeon RX 570 Series
32GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro

Post by momus_98 »

beer wrote:*snip* Hopeing that folding@home will get some usefull result in the future so it can help you mother to live longer. *snip*
\

Thanks beer. I'm enthralled by the recent news floating around the 'tubes about the Case Western study regarding bexarotene. I know better than to get my hopes up and it's likely too late for my Mom, but it's very compelling. (My mom's doctor thinks I missed my calling to be a pathologist instead of an IT slug, but what can you do?) :)
SASinUtah

Post by SASinUtah »

The best to you and to the decisions which you have ahead, and the best to your mother. Fold on, my friends.
d3yvyd

Post by d3yvyd »

Best to your mother ! I know how is it.My cousin had a cancer and she died.Anyway .. keep hopeing.