#889 V7 client installation problem

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

#889 V7 client installation problem

Postby Little.Willie » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:05 pm

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but here goes ...

Having downloaded V7.1.52 I attempted to install it under Windows 7 64-bit. I use 2 accounts - administrator and a standard user. I installed on the standard user account as the administrator, used the default settings, and the 'just for me' option (as I am the only user of this PC). Everything seemed to install OK and the client started. However, having shutdown and then re-started Windows, I found that the client would not start and that there were no entries in the Windows Start menu.

Uninstalled and re-installed the client. This time using the administrator logon, the default installation settings and selected the 'for everyone' option. The installation completed and the client started. Logged off as administrator and logged on as the standard user - the client did not start and there were no entries in the Windows Start menu.

I then tried several variations for the installation such as the locations for the installed files and data folders. I have ensured that the folder properties are set to allow read and write for all users. Still no luck.

Can anyone help? I would like to get folding again but I am starting to get very disillusioned with the new V7 client. Things were fine with the old V6 one - perhaps I should go back.
Little.Willie

Re: V7 client installation problem

Postby 7im » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:46 pm

Hello Little.Willie, welcome to the forum.

Uninstall everything. Log in as the standard user. Install fah. Use all of the default settings, except for your user name, etc. When prompted, enter the Admin user and password. Install for all or install just for me, doesn't matter. Make you leave the check box checked for running FAHControl at login. Once it is up and running, reboot.

Log in. FAHControl will start, and if not on screen, check the tool tray for the FAH icon. Done.

See Also: http://folding.stanford.edu/English/WinGuide
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby Little.Willie » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:08 pm

Hello 7im, thanks for the quick response.

I have followed your instructions but with no luck. Following installation as a standard user with the 'just for me' option, FAHcontrol reported that 2 slots (GPU and CPU) were running. I then rebooted and logged in as a standard user. The client did not start and there are no entries in the start menu.

However, I thought I would just check the administrator account. Lo and behold, there was the client apparently working fine. Can this client actually be run under a standard user account? Or does it require administrator privileges?
Little.Willie

Postby bruce » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:30 pm

The client runs fine with a non-admin account. Like most programs, the only thing that needs admin privileges is during the install when it installs the programs into "Program files"

Depending on which firewall you use, you might also need to authorize FAHClient and FAHControl to communicate with each other through 127.0.0.1 and with some AV or firewall programs, FAHClient may also need authorization to contact the internet. (These situations are rare, depending entirely on what your AV/Firewall happen to decide to block.)
bruce

Postby Little.Willie » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:07 am

Still no luck I am afraid.

I have turned off both my firewall (Zonealarm) and my anti virus (AVG 2012). Uninstalled FAHClient/FAHControl and then re-installed - same problem as before. I install using the standard user account, supply the administartor password, use the default installation settings, installation completes and the client starts. If I then re-start Windows, the client will not appear under the standard user login but will under the administrator log in.

I am at work at the moment, but I want to check where the program is being installed. I have a suspicion that despite my best efforts it is being installed under C:\Users\Appdata\Administrators account rather than C:\Users\Appdata\Standard users account.

Could be barking up the wrong tree, though. I will check when I get home later this evening.
Little.Willie

Postby bruce » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:16 pm

If you were logged on to the Administrator account when you installed FAH, then the data will be stored in the home directory of that use and the shortcut will be created in that startup directory. Reinstall while you're logged on to your normal account. Then when it asks you for the admin password, supply it -- or select "Run as Adminitrator" when you pick the install software WHILE LOGGED ON AS YOUR REGULAR USER.

You should never have to log on to the Admin account.
bruce

Postby Little.Willie » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:03 pm

Bruce, thanks for the response.

I understand that I should be logged in as a 'Standard User'. But in case I have made a mess of things I have just completed the following -

1) Logged in as a standard user
2) Uninstalled the client
3) Turned off my firewall (Zonealarm) in case that was interfering in some way
4) Re-installed the client. Supplied the administrator password when requested. Everything went OK - no apparent errors
5) Turned the firewall back on
6) Re-connected to the Web and the client downloaded work for the GPU and the CPU
7) The client appears to be running OK (although the GPU is oscillating between 0% and 90% usage every few seconds)
8) Re-started Windows and logged back in as a standard user and, once again, there is no sign of the client.
Little.Willie

Postby bruce » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:46 pm

In the startup folder, do you see a shorttcut for FAHCllient or FAHControl? What are it's properties?

Is FAHControl minimized to the systray?
bruce

Postby Little.Willie » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:28 pm

Bruce,

There are no shortcuts for FAHClient or FAHControl in the Start menu nor is FAHControl minimised to the Systray when logged in as a standard user. As I have said before, if I now log in as the administrator account FAHControl starts up straight away. This is despite installing from the standard user account and selecting the 'for me only' option.

Not sure which properties you are referring to.
Little.Willie

Postby bruce » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:35 am

The FAH installer assumes you'll install the software while logged on to the same user that will run the software. The shortcuts are created for Administrator because you logged on to that account. Like I said, Administrator needs to uninstall FAH and then you need to install it while logged on as your regular user.

You can also fix the problem by moving the shortcuts from the Admin to the non-admin account, but that's a lot harder to do than just repeating the install.
bruce

Postby Little.Willie » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:51 pm

Perhaps I was insufficiently clear in my earlier post.

The software has been installed while logged in as the only standard user (me) on this PC. The only time that the administrator password has been used is during the installation process when the UAC requires it. I have not installed the software whilst logged in as the administrator.
Little.Willie

Postby bruce » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:48 am

Yes, that was not clear to me, at least.

Where are the shortcuts that were created? The evidence points toward the startup folder belonging to Administrator or to all users rather than to the "me" user.

Which options did you choose when you installed? I'd like to reproduce the exact same installation steps and end up with the same configuration that you have created.
bruce

Postby Little.Willie » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:33 pm

Sorry for the delay in responding. The time difference and work commitments make things difficult.

The shortcuts are created only in the Start menu under the administrator login. No shortcuts were created under the standard user login even though that was the account that I was using.

I tried using both the express install and the custom install options. In both cases I accepted all the other default options. None of which worked.

After more investigating and web searches I think I have fixed the problem. I have unhidden (is that a real word?) folders/files, found the start menu folder for the administrator account and copied the relevant shortcuts to my standard user account and copied the FAHControl shortcut to the start menu folder. This seems to have fixed my problem.

I appreciate your help and realise that whilst I have cured my immediate problem this does not help you solve the bigger issue of why this installation was so problematic. If I can provide any further information or even assistance with this problem, please let me know.
Little.Willie

Postby Not_IT_Tech » Mon May 07, 2012 7:57 pm

I have this Exact same problem. And also if I close the client I can Not restart it in the NON admin user, even if I select to start it as Admin. Most aggravating. giving up on this
Not_IT_Tech

Postby bruce » Mon May 07, 2012 8:19 pm

Same question:

If you open Start+All_Programs+Startup and right-click FAHClient and choose "Properties" what does it say?
bruce

Next

Return to V7.1.52 Windows/Linux